Props to SI.

Taking some time out from Redcafe and Sky Sports News, the HOI3 development forums and the 2D match engine replays of Cristiano Ronaldo playing as a striker to browse these forums, I have to say Well Done to SI, boy do you guys deserve some praise.

I have been playing your games for over ten years and it is astonishing to think how some games just slot into your unconscious as you grow up with them. I remember coming home from football practice or a match for my local pub team as a teenager on a saturday and heading to my mates house for some Five Live radio commentry and a half season on CM97/98 before dinner and a bath and some tired and none too interested hooliganism outside the local off-license before MOTD. I remember how the new Adidas football, Predator football boots, Fingersave Goalkeeper gloves and the new CM was as much a part of World Cup '98 as pretending to be Ronaldo down the 'rec' football pitch.

Now I play football a lot less than I used to although it is still as massive a part of my life as ever. My gaming tastes have refined and I haven't played Fifa or Tekken in about a decade. The only game I play that is not grand strategy or epic RTS is PES against the girlfriend on her Xbox (one defeat in three years due to mass intoxication of the players). I have played Eve Online for the last five years, beta tested most of Paradox Interactive wares, and I am probably the only guy on these forums to play Dominions 3.

I have grown up to like big, deep concepts and big deep computer games to pass my time and I have grown up supporting my football team like a religion. I play FM09 and I love it, just love it. The fundamental point is that as far as I am concerned this is the greatest game I can play and that is because it is the greatest thinking game ever developed and it is Football.

Football Manager 2009 is Football Management on a computer. Many hate you guys for it, judging by these forums, but I love you for it. If football wasn't an interest of mine I can't say I would enjoy this game, but football is an interest of mine and I think this is the greatest game on a computer end of story. I applaud the abstraction of the training and tactical systems because this is a game, and because this is a Football Management Game. The results may not be perfect but do not imagine that the premise, purpose and attempt goes unnoticed. As you rightly state Sir Alex Ferguson is not the top manager in the history of football for his tactical expertise, but he is the top manager in the history of football.

Quite simply I understand your medium and I understand your premise and from this position I think you have nailed computer simulation and football mechanics that you release to an exceptional degree. There is always room for improvement but it is about time SI was recognised on these forums for what it has produced and what the team members have achieved. This game right now is awesome.

Fair play mate, and I've got to agree actually. The amount of stick SI have got for FM09 is unbelievable. Yes, there have been bugs. Some of these very serious, which have made some leagues unplayable. I'm not keen on some of the new features, Press Conferences need a lot of work as they are repetitive. But it is an enjoyable game, and I doubt I would be able to go back to FM08 now.

I agree with everything the OP states.

SI, I feel, get far too much stick from people. The game is currently the best football manager sim on the market and some people don't realise how much work goes into making the game what it is. Yes, there are bugs but find me one PC game on the market that doesn't require updates or patches after its been released. At least the majority of the bugs are not game breaking ones.

I will continue to buy FM for many years. Because I have to have something in my life to help me escape and satisfy my inner-child and this game does both.

I agree fully, best footy sim ever made. And FM09 (9.3) is probably the latest & best of them. Maybe that's why so many people complain about it when there's a bug, or something that needs improvement according to them, because they know of the games potential when this gets fixed. All rants and well formulated complaints (there's been quite a few!) show just how much people care about this game, which is a good thing. Regarding the bugs, I'd say no good, complex game of today doesn't need patching. I'm just very thankful that they put so much work into making the patches.

Archived