Looking Back, I Regret... (Player Naming)

I'm just looking at my game now and trying to figure out what I'd change if I could go back a few seasons and re-do a few things. I'm Chelsea (I know...easy, blah blah) and about to start the 2012/2013 season - I'm also the England manager and just made it to the Semi-Finals of the Eauro competition, losing 2-1 to Italy.

My squad is decent now, though I do I have a few regrets...

My first would be selling Frank Lampard. I sold in him January 2011 for £20m, which was a fantastic deal considering his age. I have Essien and Hamsik who are both five star rated (plus Camucho who is 5 star rated, but I play him DM - he can play CM though easily). Looking back though, he won the player of the season the next year and now a year and a half later, even at 34, he is still playing really well and is in my England squad. I think, at least for sentimental reasons, I should have kept him and eased him out.

Second would be buying Bojan for £26m. The guy somehow gets into the top 3 young players season on season and nets 7.something ratings, but he hardly ever scores. I have a good enough midfield to supply goals, I want him to score them!! Now I'm trying to flog him, Spurs keep offering £25m then changing their mind when it comes time to seal the deal.

Third would be signing Messi. He did well last season, scoring every 2.5 games, but he cost me £114m!!! My arguement for accepting this is he would be good for at least 7 years and I was just buying and selling right midfielders all the time...but had I not bought him I'd have raised about £80m than I'd spent, which was a nice figure considering how much money Chelsea managers normally spend.

My final regret was taking the England job. I don't feel as involved, as I'm not signing players or balancing the books, and it takes away from my Chelsea duties when I should be scouting for players for them. I'm intending on going to the next World Cup then quitting regardless of the outcome. I'll then apply for the England job after I've taken Chelsea to #1 in the world.

...what do you guys regret?

I regret buying too many players, my reserve team and U18s team are full to bursting point, not to mention several players unhappy at lack of first team action in the first team. Finally get to the end of the season and ready to sell a few players, only to recieve this Message; 6 players have joined the club.

I remember that i had bought these players half way through the season and they were due to join at the beginning of next, here they are. Oh dear here comes another season of players unhappyness.

I just cant help buying good young players on the cheap.

I had a cracking Liverpool squad. It was my third season and I had noticed that Van der Vaart was up for sale at Madrid for £5 million.

He's always been a cracking buy for me in the past but this year round his wages are quite a bit.

He settled in quickly and had expressed his delight at signing for me.

I went win-less for six games until then going on a 7 match lossing streak.

Seven of my players told of their dislike for him and he then had the cheek to say 'I haven't settled in the area'.

He was quickly shipped off to Manchester City, he did the same bloody thing there. He lasted all of 6 months until shipped off back off to Holland.

I regret buying him as I hit blistering form after he went too. Only finished 4th though. :(

I regret selling Garath Bale to LFC, and Zhirkov to Barcelona in my City save. I got a whole lot of money in return, but I haven't really found the same quality yet. Then again, those sales secured other great transfers - ie Messi for 35 mil(release clause). Otherwise, I rarely regret things. The transfers are a big part of my enjoyment.

I avoid being national team manager for the same reasons that you are facing.

I had a cracking Liverpool squad. It was my third season and I had noticed that Van der Vaart was up for sale at Madrid for £5 million.

He's always been a cracking buy for me in the past but this year round his wages are quite a bit.

He settled in quickly and had expressed his delight at signing for me.

I went win-less for six games until then going on a 7 match lossing streak.

Seven of my players told of their dislike for him and he then had the cheek to say 'I haven't settled in the area'.

He was quickly shipped off to Manchester City, he did the same bloody thing there. He lasted all of 6 months until shipped off back off to Holland.

I regret buying him as I hit blistering form after he went too. Only finished 4th though. :(

I had the same problem when I signed him for Villa for the same fee. 5 of my first team players didn't like him and Anyukov and I still don't know why. Personality maybe...

However, I wasn't willing to sell any of those players and the team was playing very well despite having issues with these two players. I kept offering new contracts so some of them buy another sports car or something and stop disliking team members;)

As for the the OP, I too am England's manager for four years now and I just won the 2022 World Cup. But when I was managing USA (first International experience in this save) i thought the same thing - I'd rather decline whatever National job they offered and focus only at Villa. So, in 2018 England and Brazil offered me the job but I had to decline my homeland so I could lead England to success. It was probably the best decision I've made since i already knew the players and who I wanted in the squad.

Also, I use this as a way of scouting some youngsters and to be on the player's preferred list... So far 3 England's players have expressed their joy of working with me when I snapped them up all because I was the one who gave them their first call up.:D

my regret, i bought a greek striker for about 1 mil. not massive player but great potenial. finishing 18, composre about 15, scored 3/4 times in euro champions league as a super sub. newcastle offered 2.3 mil for him. "great" i thought, "profit, done!". i went to check up on him 2/3 seasons later. his value? 11.5 mil. 11.5 flippin million!!!!!!!!!!!

ive bought a a young player that my scout said would be amazing, scottish too (great for being at celtic). 12 mil from sunderland. 8 months later, nothing to show he was worth it. he's currently on loan in italy. hopefully will do some good.

I regret signing too many promising regens, because of how mabhy i signe,d barely any of them get game time, and just don't develop. I also regret loaning fleck as im missing a left sided midfielder this season, i regret signing Santi Cazorzla for £20M and in my 3rd season selling Gignac for 11M because he was a quality player.

Buying a few promising regens for between £5-£10mil each over the span of a few seasons for them to refuse going to a feeder and no team wanting them to take on loan. They didnt play well in my team, so just rotted in reserves till I could sell them eventually.

Also buying Ben Arfa for Rangers for £16mil, guy played terrible and didnt really need him cause had Mathias Fernadez, then got Adu after they both left and hes amazing

I regret signing too many promising regens, because of how mabhy i signe,d barely any of them get game time, and just don't develop. I also regret loaning fleck as im missing a left sided midfielder this season, i regret signing Santi Cazorzla for £20M and in my 3rd season selling Gignac for 11M because he was a quality player.

simular to me :)

I regret not paying 100% attention when trying to decide between joining Tranmere or Hartlepool. In the end I went for the extra wage budget that Hartlepool were offering, but I didn't notice the club were £9m in debt. Three years later and I am struggling with majorly increased expectations and a decreasing budget while Tranmere are paying some players 30% of my entire teams budget (which is around about the average budget of a BSP team and i'm expected to reach mid table League One again having sold all my best players for the third year running). Going to have to jump ship to a more financially stable club.

I regret buying too many players, my reserve team and U18s team are full to bursting point, not to mention several players unhappy at lack of first team action in the first team. Finally get to the end of the season and ready to sell a few players, only to recieve this Message; 6 players have joined the club.

I remember that i had bought these players half way through the season and they were due to join at the beginning of next, here they are. Oh dear here comes another season of players unhappyness.

I just cant help buying good young players on the cheap.

Not such a bad policy ;)

oh and who is camucho? i cant find him...a regen?

I regret not selling James McFadden, i'm in my 3rd season with Birmingham and could have sold him for £6.75m to Portsmouth but rejected it. This year in the Championship he has 11 goals in 37 games, I should have taken the money and ran.

I'm currently managing Shrewsbury and I regret selling Ben Davies.

"You can sell him for 75K and sign a much better replacement for cheap" says I

Which I did.

I did not however realise that Ben Davies' preferred position was ML rather than MC, and that he was my only decent ML.

So now I'm stuck with an MC who's good enough for a lower Premiership side but a not-as-good-as-Davies ML who is also about ten years older than Davies.

Archived