Youth players asking for ridiculous wages/squad status.

This lad for example.

princeyartey.jpg

My Notts Co team are the dominant force in England and a top European side. The lad above is at Schalke and has agreed to sign a £100 p/w pro contract with them. According to my scouts he's 'extremely interested in signing for Notts Co'. What does he ask for then? £35,000 p/w and first team player squad status.

Most young players seem to do this to me since 9.3.0. Why do players like him think they'll waltz straight into probably the strongest team in the game world and deserve silly money immediately? He's not even a wonderkid or anything (only 16 ffs) and has agreed to be on 3500 times less money with Schalke. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

There is definitely a problem with youth players demanding high wages, I often find when approaching to sign an average youth regen player on a full time contract who may only be 15 or 16, they demand 5 or 6k a week. It's as if the game demands wages based on PA rather than CA and age.

Yeah, and the thing is I can even agree to pay this as I can afford to but the squad status they ask is a bigger problem. I could even afford to pay that 35k p/w for this lad as he has the potential to be a great player, but I can't guarantee to throw him right into my first team the day he turns 17. He should never expect that anyway.

Yeah, an amount around £10,000 p/w for those wonderkids will already be a pretty generous one. Note that this situation usually applies to players on youth contract. Normally, I will wait for them to sign for their pro-contract and their wage demands will drop 10 times. But you risk the wrath of inflation on the player's transfer fee.

I havn't had that big a problem with it.

I signed about a dozen 18 and 19 year olds to fill in my first team squad and hopefully become key players in the future and most of them wanted between £8,000 and £14,000 per week and rotation or backup status which seems fair. I only had 1 player who wanted a very big contract (£42,000 per week) but that was presumably because despite only being 18 he was player of the year in the Brazilian league the season before I tried to sign him and was already on almost £32,000 per week.

Archived