Player wants to be able to discuss terms with club.

When you get a transfer offer from another club ad your player wants to discuss term with the club what do you normally do?

Refuse, and the player will be unhappy? or

Accept and get rid?

Just had a big offer of 25m for a player who is a key player and he wants to discuss terms. I then accepted the offer but am having 2nd thoughts now, D'oh!!!

If i think i can get a good replacement in i will sell. It may be that the cash received will buy 2 or 3 players so selling is for the greater good, but if you dont want to sell refuse. I have a class DMC that teams offer £20-25m for every transfer window and he gets unhappy at not being allowed to move clubs. Once the window closes and you win a few games he soon becomes happy again.

I usually negotiate the offer to something obscene if he's a key player and someone I don't want to sell. That usually scares them off and doesn't make him too unhappy as it looks as if I've tried to help him move

Yeah he is 30 so its a good price for him, just over double what he's worth.

I'll have to get shopping for a new player!

If you are happy with the price then all is good.

In the future if you find yourself in a similar situation, you could also consider offering the player a new contract with lucrative terms whilst he is mulling over the transfer. That way you do not anger the player by rejecting the transfer outright and there is a possibility of him accepting your offer of a new contract and rejecting the other club's bid.

Archived