Ideal Squad Size

I'm having trouble getting the ideal squad size. When there's no injuries, I find a squad of 22 to be pretty good, as there's 2 teams of 11.

The problem is when injuries start to hit, You can bring in a 3rd player in, but if 1 of the other 2 recovers from their injuries, then potentially you'll have 1 player playing once every 1.5-2 weeks.

So should I stick with my squad of 22, or should I have a larger squad?

22 players plus youngsters. I have at least one youngster for every position, if possible. I send them on loan with a recall option, so that If I have a injury then I'll recall them.

If I'm managing a small club, and have a bigger squad is not possible or cannot get youngsters who dont have potential, then I retrain positions of all my players.

My rule of thumb is to keep my squad in one screen without scrolling, so that's about 23. Basically, 2 for each position (some of whom are versatile). I have a few ready reserves and U18s who can move into the squad to cover injuries or to get experience, and I also keep an eye of first teamers who have been idle for a few games and need a reserve-team run-out.

Managing in the lower leagues, I can't keep a big squad since I might end up with unhappy players when injuries are under control, therefore this is what I do:

2 keepers, 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 3 strikers. On top of that, I always sign promising young players (18-19 years old players with 3 star ability and 5-6 star potential) and I keep them in the youth team. I normally sign 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers.

So, when I don't have injuries I can keep the youngsters happy in the youth team, and when I have an injury crisis (which always happen during the season for me), I can bring them up in the first team for some match practice (I normally bring them in as subs).

Since my first team is not that big, when I have 1-2 injuries I already need to bring the youngsters on the bench, so they can get their share of first team experience. At the same time my first team won't complain of lack of match action.

I aim for 20-25 players. usualy an expeienced 11 and a young 11, have my future formation and players written down in my note book. Changing it though as my board sold me best player to milan for 34 mil, not bad as i paid 1.7 for him but still :(

3 keepers, 2 RB, 2 LB, 4 CB, 2 RM, 2 LM, 2 DM, 2 AMC, 4 ST. That adds upto 23...althought someone like Barry who can play LB, CB, LM, CM is useful or Zabaletta

... And I presume you dont get injuries? I couldnt survive a season with a squad that small simply because Injuries are dominating

I do the exact same thing phnompenhandy. As soon as i can scroll down i sort out who can go in reserves for a while (if coming back from injury/not performing/dont need anymore), or if possible sell some players to keep the wage budget down. With the 23ish players in my first team i also have a good 7/8 ex 1st teamers plus all the youth squad who have been promoted in my reserves.

I had a squad of 20 players.I did alright in the league but I was badly affected when my keeper and main striker were both injured for long periods.

Next transfer window I bought a lot of backups. I had a total of 37 players. DISASTER. For most of the season the backups complained that they were not playing the the squad disharmony was awful. I did very poorly.

Next window I had a fire sale. reduced the sqaud to 23 players. one backup for each position plus 3 keepers. I made sure to tell the backups that they were backups. Any player not happy with his squad status was sold. Financially I made a windfall sellling 14 players. I then spent the remaining money on 2 extra top class players.

1/4 way through the season and I am doing well. This time I think I am covered for injuries.

• Administrators

Personally I try and train players to be able to play in other positions. If I have a RB or LB, I'll always try and make them learn the other side just in case. Makes it much easier if you pick up an in-game injury.

I usually have about 25, good backup for every position and then maybe an extra 2 or 3 players that can play in a number of positions, also useful having a few good youth players just in case. I might sometimes have upto 30ish, especially if you are in lots of competitions and need to rotate.

I try to keep my squad fairly small, no more than 20 players. This helps me keep everyone happy so long as I rotate them in the first eleven regularly, which I do.

As others have mentioned, it's wise to have cover for each position, strength in depth as they say. That doesn't mean you need 22+ players though. I often try to sign players who are "natural" or "accomplished" in a number of roles. For example, in my current save I have a defender who is "natural" as a DC, DL, DR and "accomplished" as a DMC, WBL, WBR. This means he can provide cover for plenty of positions. I currently have four or five players who can play in a number of alternative positions, thus I don't need to have such a big squad. Worth keeping in mind when searching for new signings.

Depending on the standard of the league I'm in, 22 - 25 players is just nice. In the lower leagues I've gotten away with as few as 18 seniors but that's very, very thin.

When first taking over a team, I always look through my list of players and retrain extra positions where I can.

With MLS I'm restricted to 28 and that was usually plenty. Until this season, at least. I'm losing as many 8 players at a time to international call-ups and, coupled with a handful of injuries, I've hit a stretch where I'm rotating 17 players just to keep people reasonably fresh due to a scheduling headache. I'd definitely factor the number of national players on your squad and make sure you have cover for them...

25 - Two at each position, one D RLC, one DM/MC and one AM RL/ST (I play 4-5-1 with wingers and a holding midfielder)

I do similar 25, two at each position, an extra keeper, DM/MC and an out and out striker/target man.

I also play 4-5-1/4-3-3, but AMRL's and ST's are just way too different from each other to be interchangeable.

Personally I try and train players to be able to play in other positions. If I have a RB or LB, I'll always try and make them learn the other side just in case. Makes it much easier if you pick up an in-game injury.

Doh! I keep forgetting to do this. However it's around the 20 figure for me too.

My first team squad consists of 18 first team players and if/when injuries occur i tap into my reserves.

I have 2 LB/RB 4 CB 4 LM/RM 4 CM and 3 ST and 1 GK and i rotate my squad on a regular basic depending on who my opponents are.

Usually 20-24, although I rarely sign a player who can play just one position well. CB's and Strikers are the excption for me usually. All other players should really be able to cover at least 2 positions. Even most of my DC players can play right or left full back, or sometimes DMC

I have way too many players, but i like it that way sometimes, the problem/good thing is that they are all pretty young, hardly anyone in my squad is over the age of 23, with means they will all start to complain about first team football at the same time at some point i think.

The good thing about having so many talented young players is that they can go for good prices plus the big 50% sell on clauses :)

Next season i will be to heay on the keepers as i have 4 young ones coming in on frees, the idea? loan till they are worth something then sell, it makes me a lot of money bringing in young players on free then selling them when ready, cruel game i play but its all business....

• 1 month later...

What happens if you train a player to play in another position and then once they are accomplished try to train them in another?

I remember in the other games the player would lose the ability, does that happen in this game?

i find that 23 players is enough with around 5-6 made available for the reserves. In there i try to have:

Goalkeeper *3

Right Back *2

Left Back *2

Centre Half *4

Right Wing *1

Left Wing *1

Centre Midfield *4

Striker *4

Utility Attacking Mids *2

Archived