Signing players

There have been a lot of topics posted here during the last 2 editions of FM about the flawed confidence system when it comes to signing younger players. I would like to open this thread to post my solution to the problem, which I have, admittedly, already written in another topic. So this opening post is actually a "copy-and-paste" version of that post but that shouldn't matter in my opinion.

My idea:

Every time you sign a player you have to give a press conference. The larger the name of the player, the larger the press conference. The object of that press conference would be that you will be able to tell everybody (the media, the fans and the board) what the squad status of that player will be.

If you buy Kaka for example, you would tell everybody in the press conference that he will be a key player. This will then create high expectations of the fans, the media and the board. They will immediately judge him, giving you as a manager and him as the signing a lot of pressure, which you and the player will have to deal with.

If you buy a 20-year-old winger, you should be able to tell everybody in that press conference that he will start as a backup player, meaning that people wont judge him on his first, let's say, 10 appearances.

If you buy a 17-year-old central defender, you should be able to tell everybody that he's a hot prospect for the future, meaning that they wont judge him the first season.

I would love to have that feature and I don't think it should be too difficult to include it in the game. Press conferences are already there on various topics, squad statuses are already there, players getting influenced by putting pressure on them is already there. The only difference (as far as I know with my limited computer knowledge) would be that the confidence system will be influenced by a press conference.

Then again, the "competitions confidence system" is already linked to your "start-of-the-season" expectations. It should therefore be possible to link the "signings confidence system" with your expectations of a signing.

Who is with me? And who isn't? Don't worry, I can take criticism.

(By the way, if somebody else has had this idea before, I genuinely apologize)

Further note: I realize that there is a separate, existing topic for posting new ideas, but I thought it would be better to start a new thread as my idea will also be a solution to a well known problem.

I like the sound of this idea...but it's not that realistic.

For example, real managers don't get press conferences if they have just signed backup players. And I'm sure that they wouldn't display their new signing and say "This fella will be lucky to get 10 games this season so don't judge him straight away, eh", or words to that effect.

It's a solution that would prove far more irritating than the problem. A press conference for every player signed? A far simpler solution to the confidence problem would be to tie in the expectations to the status of the player according to the contract they signed. Youngster, Back Up etc. And I'm sure that that has been looked at by SI, as it's so obvious. Which indicates that the problems with confidence are not so easy to solve, and would probably require a complete rewrite of the module to accomplish.

Maybe a press conference for a Key Player, or even First team. Or record signing. But not for every pair of boots that passes through the club. That would be ludicrous.

Archived