My Entire Defence 'Wants a New Challenge'

Er...

Exactly that. My awesome Verona defence, which last season concede 6 league goals have suddenly decided they don't want to win a 5th consecutive Serie A title, they'd rather play for some tinpot outfit in Spain or something. All of them. How do i sweet-talk them into staying?

Two have Worldwide reputations and not one of them is a day over 25. It would be a bit of a disaster if they all had to be sold. A disaster that would bring in £100m plus, but a disaster nonetheless.

offer them a new contract, it worked for me until i had to sell my world class left back to Barca for £45m coz he'd won EVERYTHING possible there is to win with one club

Tried it. None of them will sign contract extensions. It's making me nervous, particularly seen as i turned down a £50m bid for my CB from Real Madrid in the summer.

Ask them about a "new signing" and get the player they recommend, Ive had this with my two DCs, one was pleased with my response when he asked to leave so he stayed, the other was way gone, he never played with any confidence and almost every team that made a bid he wanted to talk to them (:mad:); try benching the player...this leads to teams not scouting them and if teams arent interested he'll stay.

Ask them about a "new signing" and get the player they recommend, Ive had this with my two DCs, one was pleased with my response when he asked to leave so he stayed, the other was way gone, he never played with any confidence and almost every team that made a bid he wanted to talk to them (:mad:); try benching the player...this leads to teams not scouting them and if teams arent interested he'll stay.

Interesting ideas. I don't know if i could bench all of them unfortunately. I tried transfer listing my £50m CB before and then he switched to 'willing to fight for place in team' and then i took him off and he signed a new deal, but it could back-fire horribly.

Interesting ideas. I don't know if i could bench all of them unfortunately. I tried transfer listing my £50m CB before and then he switched to 'willing to fight for place in team' and then i took him off and he signed a new deal, but it could back-fire horribly.

Thats a good thing, if when you transfer list the player and he gets mad and wants to fight for his position that means the player is more unsettled then anything...you have to be patient (I know thats hard to do) with this kind of player, if no teams show any real interest he'll calm down (and you'll be able to give him a new 5 yr contract :thup:) but you have to do what smaller clubs do... hide the player for a little bit.

Er...

Exactly that. My awesome Verona defence, which last season concede 6 league goals have suddenly decided they don't want to win a 5th consecutive Serie A title, they'd rather play for some tinpot outfit in Spain or something. All of them. How do i sweet-talk them into staying?

Two have Worldwide reputations and not one of them is a day over 25. It would be a bit of a disaster if they all had to be sold. A disaster that would bring in £100m plus, but a disaster nonetheless.

Last season i had a similar problem. My two first choice strikers, the backup striker (22yr old that would become a regular in one season time - as well as my backup left back) wanted a new challenge, after several teams annoyed them.

They became unhappy and their performances were so bad i let the first choice strikers go in January and the others at the end of the season.

However, i didn't wanted to sell to their suitors so i sold them to other clubs as revenge:D

The top strikers (wanted by Real Madrid and Chelsea)-> Leeds and Roma

Left back and backup striker (annoyed by Liverpool for 2 seasons) -> Juventus and Barcelona.

In the end, just the backup striker left for a club that could fight for a league title and I received a record amount of €92M for them (and a GK I bought for €10M and sold after one season for €35M) and I brought decent players to substitute them, some promising youngsters and managed to balance my finances.

As for the majority of the teams that wanted them and saw them going other way... don't mess with me:cool:

I thinks what's happened here is that your club's reputation has increased only slightly, much less than you might expect given your success. At the same time the players' reputations have increased more rapidly.

I suppose that's not unrealistic - in a smaller way you could compare Wigan; success brings their players to other clubs' notice. The clubs bang in offers and the players are only too pleased to move on up.

I thinks what's happened here is that your club's reputation has increased only slightly, much less than you might expect given your success. At the same time the players' reputations have increased more rapidly.

I suppose that's not unrealistic - in a smaller way you could compare Wigan; success brings their players to other clubs' notice. The clubs bang in offers and the players are only too pleased to move on up.

Not to seem ungracious as every reply is greatly appreciated, but going from Serie C to 4 back-to-back Serie A titles and two Champions League final appearances is not really comparable to Wigan.

Tried the 'drop them from the team - Wait til they start crying - hit them with a contract' tactic and it seems to have worked. My £50m CB just inked a £160,000 a week deal for five years and is 'delighted'.

So he F**cking should be.

I just tell the other teams to back the hell off. Then hold out till the transfer window closes and eventually they realise they're going nowhere, especially not on the pitch in the 1st team till they know who's boss. Eventually they fall back in line and seem to be ignored the season after.

When I made it into the prem every major team under the sun was after my star midfielder, I said no, the chairman luckily backed me on it and didn't accept any offers behind my back, end of the season and no team has asked... happened to 4 of my other players though so i'm just riding my luck for a few days till the window closes lol.

Stay firm, let them know who's boss!

Archived