The Relegation Challenge

Welcome to…the bad manager challenge. Whether you think your bad at FM, or you’re a bit of an expert with an appetite for destruction, this is a short challenge for you.

Here’s the challenge:

How many teams can you relegate in one season or over the course of an entire abysmal career, without getting sacked?

Sounds easy? Well let’s see…

Setup

You should set yourself up with the highest reputation possible (international footballer) - this should make it possible to get subsequent jobs. I would suggest doing it in England and starting in the Premiership, but the game setup is up to you. Loading more countries and leagues will expand your potential list of targets. You can start with any team you want, but NOT one that’s already predicted to be relegated and remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Once you take over a team, you should set into action whatever motions you think will be necessary to take them down…unsettle the squad, transfer the best players, play the most useless players you can find…anything really.

Once you think you’ve done enough to ensure they go down come the end of the season – you should move on and create havoc somewhere else. You dont need to be in charge come the end of the season - just to have had some involvement in their demise.

The only things to consider are these: 1) if you get sacked, the challenge is over – you must jump before you’re pushed, 2) you’re looking to cause the relegation of as many teams as possible, so you won’t be there for the whole season and; therefore 3) you need to remain employable by some other poor mug of a chairman who’ll take you on.

Any subsequent teams must not a) already be in a relegation spot or b) be predicted to finish in a relegation spot.

Levels of difficulty

1. Hard as nails: If you want to make it really tough, you should only apply for jobs that become available through managers being sacked or moving elsewhere, but you can of course try to force a board's hand by declaring an interest in any jobs that appeal to you. In addition, you should absolutely avoid unrealistic transfers. Thus; there'll be no selling Cristiano Ronaldo for free and splashing £50 million on non-league players - you should do it simply by managing badly.

2. Pretty solid: You can only apply for available jobs, but can do what you like regarding transfers.

3. The easy option: However, since we’re just messing about here, if you want - and this makes it much easier - to switch clubs you may create a managerial vacancy by adding a manager at your chosen target team, retiring them, and applying for the job. If you don’t get it you can try with another team. That’s the ONLY type of interference you’re allowed though; no editors, no adding a second manager and selling your best players to him on the cheap or anything like that.

You MUST do it all with the same manager profile (ideally post a screenshot at each new job to prove it).

You can also carry on for as long as you like - if you want to do more than one season, go right ahead!

I don’t see much point in setting up a scoring system, but we’ll have a ‘Hall of Shame’ for the best of the worst - in one season, and over a whole career. Greater kudos will be given for relegations from the top flight and of higher reputation teams.

Good luck!

I think early on the aim would be to take some teams that would just finish outside the relegation terrirtory and destroy them, then skip a little up the levels each time, hoping to take out a big boy as a last minute strike in about January :)

I think the target is two Mid Table & 1 Top 4 :)

Looks like fun. Deliberately losing is very hard...good luck to all. I might try this sometime.

Losing when you mean to win is surprisingly easy though :D. This is a good idea, bermy, and would suit me well. I might try it.

Though knowing me I probably won't. :(

thats the problem of them buying in new players solved :)

Don't knock him! He's done the damage against me in Dafuge's Challenge enough times!

I've trying to sign someone from Carnoustie called John Voight, maybe I can build a whole team of actors. :cool:

If any vacancies come up you can apply for them, but since we’re just messing about here, for the purposes of taking on subsequent teams, if you like you can add a manager at your chosen target team, retire them, and apply for the job. If you don’t get it you can try with another team.

Does that mean i can create a second manager purely to free up a managerial position???

LordMeister, great first game! :D

Lol, and only game, i resigned seeing as Arsenal are now set to phail

Just so long as my precious Hospitalet don't got the same way :p

and might take out Ajax next, just for you ;)

EDIT: Bah, Ajax rejected me, so going to At. Madrid

Lol, and only game, i resigned seeing as Arsenal are now set to phail

Just so long as my precious Hospitalet don't got the same way :p

and might take out Ajax next, just for you ;)

I'm curious, what did you do? Sell everyone for cheap? Give 5 year contracts to the most pathetic footballers on the planet? Splash out 100 million on a BSN or BSS player? Or all of the above. :p

I'm curious, what did you do? Sell everyone for cheap? Give 5 year contracts to the most pathetic footballers on the planet? Splash out 100 million on a BSN or BSS player? Or all of the above. :p

i sold every current Arsenal player on a free... and bought in a single Newport County play on the ful transfer budget with a Man City --> Kaka size wage offer of £120k per week :p

i sold every current Arsenal player on a free... and bought in a single Newport County play on the ful transfer budget with a Man City --> Kaka size wage offer of £120k per week :p

Everyone, from First Teamers to Youth Players? And remember not to sell them to other big teams. You need to relegate them later on. :p

Does that mean i can create a second manager purely to free up a managerial position???

Yep, although I gather you're already doing that.

Looks like it's been more difficult than I imagined for you to find new jobs...ah well, fine start, and good luck with the next one anyway.

Yep, although I gather you're already doing that.

Looks like it's been more difficult than I imagined for you to find new jobs...ah well, fine start, and good luck with the next one anyway.

yeah, came to the decision that it was allowed myself, but only did it for Ajax as At. Madrir lost theior manager to Arsenal after i left, and Utrecht just offered me the job anyway :p

Nice to see some people having crack already. Thought it would be a bit different to do something like this...plus being bad surely takes far less effort than being good.

So how many teams do you reckon is possible? I reckon 2 easy, 3 feasible, more than that would be pretty tricky...

Any chance that you can change the length to a career rather than just one season? Might try this if/when I get really bored/cruel.

Yeah, although given how daft it is I thought the shelf life might not last much beyond a season. Also, if we keep the 'no sacking' rule, how long could you possibly keep going before becoming unemployable....

Some versions may be easier than others. On FM07 I managed to get Chelsea relegated in the first season and it wasn't until a poor run of form in the Championship that they eventually lost their patience, even then citing that it was because I'd lost the support of the players. Clearly when you've secured major silverware like the Charity Shield you're practically untouchable

thats 3 teams in 1 season fo me :)

Arsenal, Hertha BSC, and Utrecht :0

Did they get relegated actually? I mean the challenge ends with the season and as far as I understood you have not finished yours yet. Surely they have nothing but to lose with basically no squad but just maybe :)

What I mean is, it'd be actually good if you tell us where each team sits when you change teams so we can see how you are doing. Screenshots will work perfect also ;)

Did they get relegated actually? I mean the challenge ends with the season and as far as I understood you have not finished yours yet. Surely they have nothing but to lose with basically no squad but just maybe :)

What I mean is, it'd be actually good if you tell us where each team sits when you change teams so we can see how you are doing. Screenshots will work perfect also ;)

Nah, i finished the season, didn't save it though as my computer has very little space and had todelete a load of saves anyway :(

Arsenal camelast in the prem with a total of 9 points

Hertha came l17th in the 1. Bundesliga, can't remember their points,. about 18 i believe, only 1 team came below them as i took them over in January

Utrecht came last in the Eredivisie with a maximum of 5 points

Archived