Jan Transfer Window - Players cheaper?

I have noticed that in the Jan Transfer Window, players are cheaper than when the season has ended. Why is this so?

I was trying to buy Glen Johnson from Man City. He was in the reserves as Man City had splurged on a number of players able to play in his position. At the beginning of the season I scouted him and tabled a bid of 7.5million. They replied with 15million. I rejected their offer.

In the beginning of October, just 1 month in the season, I tabled a bid of 7.5million and it was accepted. I canceled the transfer and rebid him for 5 million. It was accepted!

He is just one of the examples.

In economics, a simple demand and supply graph will show that when demand exceeds supply, price increase.

Therefore, in Jan, clubs are desperate to get quality players onboard, so they pay higher fees. As the window is shorter during the period, the demand for them is higher, so price increase.

Have any of you witness that during the Jan transfer window, players are cheaper than in the beginning of the season?

Yes all these take in account, but within just 1 month after the transfer deadline, his value nearly drop 3 fold?

I find this usually happens when buying players who are not played often by their clubs or are unhappy at their clubs. For players that are happy at their clubs, the transfer amount is the same before and after the deadline.

Yes all these take in account, but within just 1 month after the transfer deadline, his value nearly drop 3 fold?

I find this usually happens when buying players who are not played often by their clubs or are unhappy at their clubs. For players that are happy at their clubs, the transfer amount is the same before and after the deadline.

There you have it. The players are desperate to move, so their valuation drops so as to help them attract bidders faster.

Example, Robbie Keane at Liverpool. He was sold back to Spurs at a loss because Rafa was desperate to get rid of him.

I find bidding for a player is best when you're not in the transfer window. I don't usually look for players till May/June time, I find that no clubs bother fighting for the same players as they don't have the transfer money. I often have some left over from the season so use that to bid. Get them cheap as their contracts are usually almost up.

Got a few gems that way.

Archived