The Manchester United thread 2005/06 - Way Past It's Sell-By Date

Nick OGS20

And so it starts again...

Much of the United focus of late has rightly been on off-pitch matters, and there'll be plenty of talk of that as we go on no doubt, but putting that aside for now and concentrating on footballing matters, there's a lot to look forward to. A proven, world-class keeper, the new winger we've been crying out for and hopefully more new arrivals to come.

Throw in a fully fit and raring to go RvN, a resurgent Ginger Prince, Rooney, Ronaldo and Fletch with another season under their belts, Rossi, Jones, Pique and co. starting to come through, the defence getting ever more solid, more crunching tackles from ghifb, and the return of one Ole Gunnar Solskjaer icon_cool.gif

A disappointing past two seasons can't be ignored, and there's questions to be answered in many areas, but with a bit of luck, some consistency of team selection from the man with the plan, and perhaps a new defensive midfielder, there's no reason why we can't be up there and giving that penultimate game some real meaning.

I guess these are as good a place to start as any....

Fixtures 05/06

Seeing as the FA are a load of fascists, the dates for some key fixtures:

20/8 Blue Scouse (A)

10/9 Bitters (H)

17/9 Mickeys (A)

5/11 Rentboys (H)

26/12 Robbos' Baggies (H)

2/1 Gooners (A)

7/1 Cup 3rd Round

14/1 Bitters (A)

21/1 Mickeys (H)

8/4 Gooners (H)

29/4 Rentboys (A)

7/5 Curbishley's Easy Three-Pointers (H)

13/5 Cup Final

17/5 CL Final

**FUll Fixture List Here**

Another nice welcome for Wayne on opening day icon14.gif

Not long until the derby icon_cool.gif

West Brom at home on Boxing Day icon14.gif/icon13.gif

Tricky spell in January there icon_redface.gif

Charlton last at OT AGAIN icon14.gif

How many of those will stay as Saturday 3pm KO's? icon_frown.gif

Transfers In

Edwin VAN DER SAR - £2m* from Fulham

PARK Ji-Sung - £3.9m from PSV Eindhoven

Ben FOSTER, £1m from Stoke City

Players Out

Roy Carroll - Free, to West Ham United

Ricardo - Free, to Osasuna

David Poole - Free, to Yeovil

Benjamin Collett - Free, to New Zealand Knights

Daniel Nardiello - Free, to Barnsley

Paul Tierney - Free, to Livingston

Ramon Calliste - Released

Lee Lawrence - Released

Steven Hogg - free, to Shrewsbury

Michael Stewart - Free, to Hibs

Loans Out

Eddie Johnson - loan, to Crewe Alexandra

Jonathan Spector - loan, to Charlton Athletic

Christopher Eagles - loan, to Sheffield Wednesday

Provisional Squad Numbers 05/06

1. Tim HOWARD

2. Gary NEVILLE

3. Phil NEVILLE

4. Gabriel HEINZE

5. Rio FERDINAND

6. Wesley BROWN

7. Cristiano RONALDO

8. Wayne ROONEY

9. Louis SAHA

10. Ruud VAN NISTELROOY

11. Ryan GIGGS

12. David BELLION

14. Alan SMITH

15. KLEBERSON

16. Roy KEANE

17. Liam MILLER

18. Paul SCHOLES

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER

21. PARK Ji-Sung

22. John O'SHEA

23. Kieran RICHARDSON

24. Darren FLETCHER

25. Quinton FORTUNE

26. Philip BARDSLEY

27. Mikael SILVESTRE

28. Gerard PIQUE

29. Jonathan SPECTOR

30. Luke STEELE

31. David JONES

33. Christopher EAGLES

35. Paul MCSHANE

36. Mark HOWARD

37. Kenny COOPER

38. Tom HEATON

40. Sylvan EBANKS-BLAKE

41. Floribert N'GALULA

42. Guiseppe ROSSI

43. Philip PICKEN

Useful Links

The pitiful excuse for an official site

Manutd.com

Fanzine News Sites

Red News

Red Issue

United We Stand

Fans' Groups

IMUSA

SU

Stats, Archives Etc

Red 11

The Stretford End

Online Shops

T-Shirts United

'MON REDS icon_mad.gif

• Replies 46.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so it starts again...

Much of the United focus of late has rightly been on off-pitch matters, and there'll be plenty of talk of that as we go on no doubt, but putting that aside for now and concentrating on footballing matters, there's a lot to look forward to. A proven, world-class keeper, the new winger we've been crying out for and hopefully more new arrivals to come.

Throw in a fully fit and raring to go RvN, a resurgent Ginger Prince, Rooney, Ronaldo and Fletch with another season under their belts, Rossi, Jones, Pique and co. starting to come through, the defence getting ever more solid, more crunching tackles from ghifb, and the return of one Ole Gunnar Solskjaer icon_cool.gif

A disappointing past two seasons can't be ignored, and there's questions to be answered in many areas, but with a bit of luck, some consistency of team selection from the man with the plan, and perhaps a new defensive midfielder, there's no reason why we can't be up there and giving that penultimate game some real meaning.

I guess these are as good a place to start as any....

Fixtures 05/06

Seeing as the FA are a load of fascists, the dates for some key fixtures:

20/8 Blue Scouse (A)

10/9 Bitters (H)

17/9 Mickeys (A)

5/11 Rentboys (H)

26/12 Robbos' Baggies (H)

2/1 Gooners (A)

7/1 Cup 3rd Round

14/1 Bitters (A)

21/1 Mickeys (H)

8/4 Gooners (H)

29/4 Rentboys (A)

7/5 Curbishley's Easy Three-Pointers (H)

13/5 Cup Final

17/5 CL Final

**FUll Fixture List Here**

Another nice welcome for Wayne on opening day icon14.gif

Not long until the derby icon_cool.gif

West Brom at home on Boxing Day icon14.gif/icon13.gif

Tricky spell in January there icon_redface.gif

Charlton last at OT AGAIN icon14.gif

How many of those will stay as Saturday 3pm KO's? icon_frown.gif

Transfers In

Edwin VAN DER SAR - £2m* from Fulham

PARK Ji-Sung - £3.9m from PSV Eindhoven

Ben FOSTER, £1m from Stoke City

Players Out

Roy Carroll - Free, to West Ham United

Ricardo - Free, to Osasuna

David Poole - Free, to Yeovil

Benjamin Collett - Free, to New Zealand Knights

Daniel Nardiello - Free, to Barnsley

Paul Tierney - Free, to Livingston

Ramon Calliste - Released

Lee Lawrence - Released

Steven Hogg - free, to Shrewsbury

Michael Stewart - Free, to Hibs

Loans Out

Eddie Johnson - loan, to Crewe Alexandra

Jonathan Spector - loan, to Charlton Athletic

Christopher Eagles - loan, to Sheffield Wednesday

Provisional Squad Numbers 05/06

1. Tim HOWARD

2. Gary NEVILLE

3. Phil NEVILLE

4. Gabriel HEINZE

5. Rio FERDINAND

6. Wesley BROWN

7. Cristiano RONALDO

8. Wayne ROONEY

9. Louis SAHA

10. Ruud VAN NISTELROOY

11. Ryan GIGGS

12. David BELLION

14. Alan SMITH

15. KLEBERSON

16. Roy KEANE

17. Liam MILLER

18. Paul SCHOLES

20. Ole Gunnar SOLSKJAER

21. PARK Ji-Sung

22. John O'SHEA

23. Kieran RICHARDSON

24. Darren FLETCHER

25. Quinton FORTUNE

26. Philip BARDSLEY

27. Mikael SILVESTRE

28. Gerard PIQUE

29. Jonathan SPECTOR

30. Luke STEELE

31. David JONES

33. Christopher EAGLES

35. Paul MCSHANE

36. Mark HOWARD

37. Kenny COOPER

38. Tom HEATON

40. Sylvan EBANKS-BLAKE

41. Floribert N'GALULA

42. Guiseppe ROSSI

43. Philip PICKEN

Useful Links

The pitiful excuse for an official site

Manutd.com

Fanzine News Sites

Red News

Red Issue

United We Stand

Fans' Groups

IMUSA

SU

Stats, Archives Etc

Red 11

The Stretford End

Online Shops

T-Shirts United

'MON REDS icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

so basically you've just copied foobR's thread title?

at least mine was original if sh*t icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually you haven't, nevermind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Better title than ours! icon14.gif

Oh - I shouldn't mention the word 'title' in here should I? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't mention that, and we won't mention the word 'retain' in the Arsenal thread. Deal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Father Senegal:

I thought you werent doing a thread to get back at Glazier? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WAHAHAHA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Oh - I shouldn't mention the word 'title' in here should I? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't mention that, and we won't mention the word 'retain' in the Arsenal thread. Deal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about 'penalty shootout'?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I thought you werent doing a thread to get back at Glazier? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea what someone who installs and cuts glass has to do with anything icon_confused.gif

If you mean the American chap, notice the lack of a mention for the c*nt in the thread title icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

You don't mention that, and we won't mention the word 'retain' in the Arsenal thread. Deal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about 'penalty shootout'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'last four of the European Cup'?

There could be literally HOURS of fun in this icon_cool.gif

'last four of the European Cup'?

There could be literally HOURS of fun in this icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I was a man u fan I wouldnt be mentioning the European Cup atm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

gah, fixtures make me slightly excited. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll probably wake up on the first weekend of the season as giddy as a child on Christmas Morning.

Only if it has any context to the UEFA Cup?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

is this where i mention 5 times? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you're predicting Man Utd will beat Liverpool 5 times?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

You see icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, they can have their fun. We'll have ours when they crash out in the qualifiers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

What you're predicting Man Utd will beat Liverpool 5 times? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it's the number of wins we have in the last six league games between the two clubs icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Only if it has any context to the UEFA Cup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, I believe Man u got knocked out of that tournament on pens once as well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Only if it has any context to the UEFA Cup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, I believe Man u got knocked out of that tournament on pens once as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Torpedo Moscow icon_cool.gif

What was the name of the Russian team they lost to on pens, its bugging me now, it wasnt Rotor Volgograd was it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, that was away goals, despite Schmeichel scoring icon_cool.gif

indeed, I believe Man u got knocked out of that tournament on pens once as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes to Torpedo Moscow, back in the days of only 4 foreigners and even before Le Roi! Ah how far we've come from that night!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Yes to Torpedo Moscow, back in the days of only 4 foreigners and even before Le Roi! Ah how far we've come from that night! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Schmeichel

Irwin

Phelan

Bruce

Webb

Pallister

Wallace

Ince

McClair

Hughes

Giggs

(Parker, Robson)

8 English, 2 Welshies, 1 Scot, 1 Irish and a Dane. Compare that to our squad now icon_biggrin.gif

I remember it because the Radio 5 commentators had to do the match from on top of a bus parked at the side of the stadium icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was about to post that icon_biggrin.gif

Alan Green still goes on about it.....

Well we could name a XI without an Englishman this year.

VDS

O'Shea

Silvestre

Heinze

Fortune

Ronaldo

Keane

Park

Giggs

RvN

Saha

Though we could go the complete opposit and name a team full of Englishmen.

Steele

Neville G

Rio

Wes

Neville P

Eagles

Scholes

Jones

Richardson

Smith

Rooney

what year was that then? 92/93? don't remember that at all. when was it that schmeichel scored but you still lost in the uefa cup to that swedish (?) team?

the cup winners cup run in 91 was class. valderama's hair for montpellier and hughes' finish against barcelona icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The penalties defeat to Torpedo was 92/93. The away goals defeat with the Schmeichel goal was against Rotor Volgograd in 95/96.

what year was that then? 92/93? don't remember that at all. when was it that schmeichel scored but you still lost in the uefa cup to that swedish (?) team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

92/93 was when we lost to Torpedo Moscow.

95/96 we lost to Rotor Volgagrad, from Russia, despite Schmeichel scoring. Same year Liverpool lost to Brondby, I believe...

Teams we've gone out to in Europe (Since English Clubs were allowed back in)

90/91 Won CWC

91/92 Atletico Madrid CWC 2nd

92/93 Torpedo UEFA 1st Rd

93/94 Galataseray EC 2nd Round

94/95 Out in Group Stage of CL

95/96 Rotor Volgograd UEFA 1st

96/97 Dortmund EC SF

97/98 Monaco EC QF

98/99 Won EC

99/00 (can't remember)

00/01 (Can't remember)

01/02 Leverkusen EC SF

02/03 Madrid EC QF

03/04 Porto EC 1st Knockout

04/05 Milan EC 1st Knockout

The 0-0 draw against Torpedo was my first ever game (I think). Probably the most boring too, although I wasn't paying much attention.

I'm not renewing my membership this year so if any of you season ticket holders can't go feel free to send your tickets my way.

Oh and mon United!

Teams we've gone out to in Europe (Since English Clubs were allowed back in)

90/91 Won CWC

91/92 Atletico Madrid CWC 2nd

92/93 Torpedo UEFA 1st Rd

93/94 Galataseray EC 2nd Round

94/95 Out in Group Stage of CL

95/96 Rotor Volgograd UEFA 1st

96/97 Dortmund EC SF

97/98 Monaco EC QF

98/99 Won EC

99/00 (can't remember) R Madrid EC Qtrs

00/01 (Can't remember) B Munich EC Qtrs

01/02 Leverkusen EC SF