Xenophobic Italian boards/chairmen

Italy is my nation of choice for FM, and CM before it. Twice now I have taken unfashionable Serie C2 clubs (Giulanova and Cisco Roma) up to Serie B, in three seasons or less (starting unemployed). I have managed to keep them there in a comfortable mid table position too.

Obviously I select my nationality as English, and 'automatic'. Why, after back to back promotions, will no clubs offer me a job? I'm not just talking about Serie A clubs, but other Serie B clubs won't. If I declare an interest in a manager's position at a fellow Serie B club, it says "X is not considered to have any chance..." etc etc.

This simply isn't realistic.

Italy is my nation of choice for FM, and CM before it. Twice now I have taken unfashionable Serie C2 clubs (Giulanova and Cisco Roma) up to Serie B, in three seasons or less (starting unemployed). I have managed to keep them there in a comfortable mid table position too.

Obviously I select my nationality as English, and 'automatic'. Why, after back to back promotions, will no clubs offer me a job? I'm not just talking about Serie A clubs, but other Serie B clubs won't. If I declare an interest in a manager's position at a fellow Serie B club, it says "X is not considered to have any chance..." etc etc.

This simply isn't realistic.

How many non Italians are managing there IRL? I'd hazard a guess that it's less than half a dozen in the top 2 divisions.

/gets ready to be proven wrong

I experienced the same on FM2008. I did brilliantly at Tiro Federal in Argentina, and quit in hope of a good job in Europe.

I was turned down by every club though, no matter how bad, and had to take the Uzbekistan job just to give myself a reputation boost. That worked and got me a job in St Petersburg. Not Zenit unfortunately, but Dinamo St Petersburg, a club with no money, no fans and no hope in the Russian second tier.

Considering the miracle I achieved at Tiro, I should have been able to get a better job than that.

How many non Italians are managing there IRL? I'd hazard a guess that it's less than half a dozen in the top 2 divisions.

/gets ready to be proven wrong

You're quite correct - at the moment there's two in Serie A, and two in Serie B; although as I type Abel Balbo may have quit/been sacked at Treviso for the 3rd time in 10 days LOL.

I've been following calcio for around 15 years and Italian teams don't generally appoint foreigners. Even their own countrymen usually have to serve an apprenticeship in the lower leagues or at a smaller club. It's not like Britain where chairmen are quite happy to appoint a popular ex-player to a top job. For example, the equivalent of Zenga would maybe get a reasonable job in the CC Championship or a lower EPL job. But the man in question had eight jobs, seven of which were abroad, before he got the Catania job.

In these circumstances, I always wait till I get offered a job to avoid any embarrassment and boredom of going on holiday for years. For those that do well in other leagues and hope to translate that success, it's all to do with reputation. Assuming you selected Auto Rep and had the Argentinian lower leagues loaded (or an ever lower league) your reputation may not have increased in line with your success. I myself cannot name any managers that have done fantastic in South America and translated that success to Europe, though someone will probably remind me of someone who has.

I myself cannot name any managers that have done fantastic in South America and translated that success to Europe, though someone will probably remind me of someone who has.

Off the top of my head, I think Pellegrini had a good record in S. America before moving to Villareal, where I'd say he's done very well.

Like you say there's probably more, but not many.

SI should include Equality and Diversity Officers as available staff.

Best attributes to look for: Handwringing; Minority Bias; Denouncement Gullibility; Ability to Blame Any of the Worlds Ills on British/American foreign policy.

well. i manage in Italy, with Scottish nationality, took a serie C club to Serie A and was offered the Lazio job (not exactly the most foreigner friendly club) and have been linked with many others.

So i wouldn't say its xenophobia

In FM2008 I took a club from the German regionals to the Bundesliga, in the midst of all this I applied for the Kaiserslautern job, they were struggling near the bottom of the 2nd division but had probably twice the fan base and resources that I was working with, so figured it would be a natural career progression. Needless to say declaring interest in the job got me a "laughable if he expects to be taken seriously for this job" sort of news item in response, which I found a bit baffling and unrealistic TBH.

My FM2009 Unemployed game has me managing in Serie C1 but I havent made enough progress as yet to think about looking upwards as of yet, so don't know if it has changed for me :)

Archived