Captaincy in FM2010

i think we need to expand the captaincy options in the next edition! i for one would like to see players put themselves forward for captaincy more often and want to be the captain rather than it being just an option you toy with at the start of the season. Id also like to see more options or stripping someone of a captaincy, eg. an option to explain your actions, and the possibility to run a breif period without a captain you have stripped ( :o ) so players can prove their worth to the team. any other thoughts on the idea?

i dont mind the option to strip of captaincy due to unprofessional behaviour, but i dont like the idea of players coming forward. I mean what if 6 did, you said yes to 1, you then have 5 players who are un happy an may be annoyed at the chosen captain. It would only cause bad harmony and it would be something you could not avoid causing as youd always need to say no to someone...

i dont mind the option to strip of captaincy due to unprofessional behaviour, but i dont like the idea of players coming forward. I mean what if 6 did, you said yes to 1, you then have 5 players who are un happy an may be annoyed at the chosen captain. It would only cause bad harmony and it would be something you could not avoid causing as youd always need to say no to someone...

That can happen anyway - in my game, Scott Parker (former captain) left the club. At the beginning of the next season, my ass man recommended Marquinhos as captain, with Thiago Silva as vice - Thiago was already Parker's vice captain, so I decided that he should be the new captain, and having looked at influence etc, I then made Matias Fernandez his vice. This not only upset Marquinhos, but also a couple of other players (Faubert is one that I remember) who all said that they would do a better job than Thiago. All their morale went to very poor, they were unhappy etc.

Fortunately, it cleared up after a couple of games!

not always, depends on a players character and status, a 30 year old leader whos been at the club 11 years may take it badly, whereas a 19 year old wonderkid may think his time will come. plus within a squad i think players will feel they know the best candidate. im just thinking of the way terry and rio fought for the england captaincy, to create situations like that and like gallas being stripped of his. id like to see more of the effect of picking the wrong captaincy, young captains saying the wrong thing, bad tempered ones giving outbursts and being a bad role model (gallas again)

i do see what your saying, its just not for me. I love the idea of stripping the captaincy, but dont want players throwing their hats in the ring, as programming wise there would have to be a reason for them to want it in the first place so they wont just think ok ill wait, they wouldn't ask if they thought they were not ready and deserved it. Good thinking though!

not always, depends on a players character and status, a 30 year old leader whos been at the club 11 years may take it badly, whereas a 19 year old wonderkid may think his time will come. plus within a squad i think players will feel they know the best candidate. im just thinking of the way terry and rio fought for the england captaincy, to create situations like that and like gallas being stripped of his. id like to see more of the effect of picking the wrong captaincy, young captains saying the wrong thing, bad tempered ones giving outbursts and being a bad role model (gallas again)

That creates quite a lot of problems. I mean, how often do you see bad captains. Gallas was one in a very long time.

Most times, when a player is chosen as a captain, he usually seems to straighten out his game because of the added responsibility. Vieira springs to mind. He matured a lot after Wenger made him captain.

That creates quite a lot of problems. I mean, how often do you see bad captains. Gallas was one in a very long time.

Most times, when a player is chosen as a captain, he usually seems to straighten out his game because of the added responsibility. Vieira springs to mind. He matured a lot after Wenger made him captain.

i wouldnt use viera as an example, he was quite contraversial, he was never the model professional was he now

ok, this isnt a thread about who was a model captain, its about something you want added to the game, keep it on topic.

I dont see how they can have alot more to say, as most people choose the best captain, again their comments etc are out of your control and can cause rifts in your team, dont see a need tbh

To my mind, if a player who doesn't get the captaincy throws a strop, it shows a lack of professionalism - a hidden attribute that is pretty damn important in a captain. In other words, his strop merely vindicates your sound decision NOT to 'Gallas' him the captaincy!

i wouldnt use viera as an example, he was quite contraversial, he was never the model professional was he now

I would say that he was a vastly different player pre and post captaincy. He mellowed quite a lot when he was given the armband (although he still got into trouble).

I think Vieira had matured a bit before he got the captaincy

As England Manager I stripped a player of the captaincy - he kept on getting sent off, and i expected a bigger reaction from him, maybe a couple of players sticking up for him, but there was nothing

I like this idea...

Would be good if a few players came forward to say they would like to be captain. The odds of getting 6 players asking for the role is slim, I mean how many times would you get that many players capable of being a good captain let alone wanting the extra responsibility. Just make it so that they're mature enough to get on with it and accept your decision.

Player Interaction I'd like to see a few more interactions with your captain.. get them to have a word with a player perhaps who is underperforming. Like if you have a striker who hasn't scored in like 10 hours of gaming ask your captain to give them a little reminder that the team is behind them and they have faith in them, or the other way and tell him that if he doesn't get his act together he will be dropped.

Team Reports The option to ask him if there is anything worrying the team, perhaps a more indepth team report that what your Ass Man can give, how they feel with the current tactics you have in place, if they think you're being too harsh on them or if they think certain players aren't pulling their weight. Based on that you can then change your tactics to please your players and perhaps have a word with the underperforming player.

Speaking for the team I'd like to see the captain speak up for the team much more... If players have problems, if the aformentioned option of having team reports isn't implemented then perhaps have the captain speak up if the team. I'd like to know if something is wrong. At the moment we get the Ass Man giving updates if players aren't happy with the ammount of games they get or if they want a better contract/looking to move away. But the captain could give confidence updates, similar to those we get from the board, on if players are happy with you as the manager, if they like the tactics in place, how the feel on recent signings and all that.

On the whole I'd like to see the Captain have much more of a role to play in FM2010, I'd like to see them run over to have a quick word in the game, even on 2D just see a little sprit for the manager and the captain run over when you change tactics but thats not really important, would just be nice lol.

I think the things I've suggested would add a little to the game.

Also, getting into trouble is what good captains do... Look at Keane, he was always yelling at officials and setting an example, Neville does the same for Utd now. Not afraid to be hated by a few people if it gets them motivated. I'd rather have a captain who does that than one who cries when his team loses, Gallas for example.

I’m not sure why you get to choose your captain and vice-captain so late in the day, usually just before your first game of the season.

Fair enough if you want to experiment in friendlies and take your time to make your decision, but if you make a choice which is going to upset players then I’d rather make it sooner and give myself time to raise morale rather than have everyone’s morale drop just before I’m due to play my opening game.

I once had my entire team on superb morale and was pretty confident going into my first season then appointed my captain and vice-captain which upset players, morale dropped and I got off to a bad start.

Also, getting into trouble is what good captains do... Look at Keane, he was always yelling at officials and setting an example, Neville does the same for Utd now. Not afraid to be hated by a few people if it gets them motivated. I'd rather have a captain who does that than one who cries when his team loses, Gallas for example.

So....You wouldn't want John Terry as a captain then.

Keano is what I would call a 'battlefield' leader, because he sticks up for his team. He is passionate and hates losing. He gets into trouble because he sometimes goes overboard. But you need not get into trouble just because you are a captain. Sometimes it might be counter productive.

Other good leaders that aren't so Keane-like could be Gerrard, Terry, Beckham, Alan Shearer. They lead by example, and not necessarily by warfare.

Archived