Press Conferences

I just got asked to make a comment on whether I thought my 2 nearest rivals were going to win their game, I decided to say they would definently win the game to try and play some minds games with their players in the hope that they become complacent and lose the game (I'm sure everyone can remember what Alex Ferguson and Newcastle).

I finish the press conference and I get a message saying that my players are unhappy at me for saying they were going to win. Why would they possibly be unhappy with me for trying to crank up the pressure on the other team?

I do know that what I say about another team makes no difference to them so what is the point in having a questions like that put into the feature? It's been well documented on this forum how poor people find this new feature and it seems to me that it is just a shoddy attempt at trying to jazz up the game to make it seem as if it has more content than it actually has.

Also I know if I don't like the press conferences I can just leave them up to my assistant but I don't trust him to say the right things and since the effect of the answers given in the press conferences is so high I find myself having the loborious task of having to sit through these before and after almost every game and now find myself at the end of my teather.

I don't know if there was any point in starting this thread but I just needed to get my thoughts onto paper (metaphorically speaking) before I put my fist through my laptop screen because my players get the hump with me for giving a perfectly reasonable response to the questions i'm asked.

Got to agree here, the media thing is a waste of space. I let my ass. man take over as it gets SOOOOOOO boring now. Same questions over and over again. I got slated from a rival manager saying that he hopes i crash and burn to which i replied with a negative answer. THEN, i get a report back saying that my team didnt respond well to what i said. (did they expect me to kiss ***?) Alot of my team were unhappy. This really ****ed me off as i had been in charge of my team for over 10 seasons. Imagine in real life if Gerrard/ Rooney /Terry disliked their manager for putting down a rival teams chances of getting the title? Where are the mind games? POINTLESS

I just got asked to make a comment on whether I thought my 2 nearest rivals were going to win their game, I decided to say they would definently win the game to try and play some minds games with their players in the hope that they become complacent and lose the game (I'm sure everyone can remember what Alex Ferguson and Newcastle).

I finish the press conference and I get a message saying that my players are unhappy at me for saying they were going to win. Why would they possibly be unhappy with me for trying to crank up the pressure on the other team?

I do know that what I say about another team makes no difference to them so what is the point in having a questions like that put into the feature? It's been well documented on this forum how poor people find this new feature and it seems to me that it is just a shoddy attempt at trying to jazz up the game to make it seem as if it has more content than it actually has.

Also I know if I don't like the press conferences I can just leave them up to my assistant but I don't trust him to say the right things and since the effect of the answers given in the press conferences is so high I find myself having the loborious task of having to sit through these before and after almost every game and now find myself at the end of my teather.

I don't know if there was any point in starting this thread but I just needed to get my thoughts onto paper (metaphorically speaking) before I put my fist through my laptop screen because my players get the hump with me for giving a perfectly reasonable response to the questions i'm asked.

I will talk about how limited the options available are in press conferences as there has been much discussions held about that in other threads. I will just address the question that was posed to you.

By answering as you did, the game interprets that as increasing pressure on your own players, not those of your rivals. By expecting your rivals to win, you are sending a message to your players that they must also win to stay in the game.

Conversely, if you state that you expect your rivals to lose, the game interprets that as easing the pressure off on your players and the risk in that is that some of them might get complacent for the next match.

The last option would be to decline to comment or choose the neutral answer.

All three types of answers are viable depending on the situation you are in and the personalities of your players.

I truly despise the press conferences and I always found the amount of people who wanted them in FM09 baffling. One question every other game was tedious enough in FM08, why did anyone think a barrage of questions before and after every other game would be fun? I've just learned the responses which elicit a good response and mindlessly plug them in.

Send assistant? Not when he'll likely tell my star youth he won't be getting a new contract, tell a yellow-injured player he'll definitely be playing tomorrow and tip Marlon King for World Player of the Year.

You only get a barrage of questions before and after every game if you're a high-profile manager. In my current campaign in The Championship I get far fewer Press Conferences than I did in my last one in the Premier League. This is quite realistic.

The problem is the repetitive and counter-intuitive questions such as the OP highlights. It's this that needs fixing/improving for FM10.

Archived