Quantam Of Solice Advertisements...

Just seen these tonight in my Blue Square Premier game v Histon.

Really confused me as they're not anywhere in the adboard pack that I use.

Question is - where did they come from? An undocumented "feature" of the latest patch maybe? Or perhaps something far more sinister - is the game downloading things without our knowledge?

Just seen these tonight in my Blue Square Premier game v Histon.

Really confused me as they're not anywhere in the adboard pack that I use.

Question is - where did they come from? An undocumented "feature" of the latest patch maybe? Or perhaps something far more sinister - is the game downloading things without our knowledge?

It was well documented at the release of the game through several threads on the forums....

It's the sinister one :)

When you installed the game the EULA told you that FM09 includes 3rd party adware. Here's an earlier thread where someone else realized that.

Sometimes ads have pointed me to great stuff I otherwise wouldn't have gotten knowledge of. As for the discussion whether to have it in a game like FM or not: could SI please wire some funds to my club's current account since you are showing them in "my" stadium ;-)

It's the sinister one :)

When you installed the game the EULA told you that FM09 includes 3rd party adware. Here's an earlier thread where someone else realized that.

Oh flaming hell - those bleeding "Virgin" ads were actual bona-fide in game advertising? I saw them just after downloading and installing an ad-board pack and trying to add my own to it - spent about a couple of weeks on and off desperately trying to see what I'd done wrong, before all of a sudden my own ads started to show.

So much play time wasted trying to mend somat that wasn't broken! Grrrrrrrrr!

At least the Q of S ones are big enough to make out what's actually being advertised - the Virgin ones (if that's what they were) were too small to see so were a complete waste of money if Virgin paid to have them shown.

Anyway, thanks for the link, it was a feature I'd remained blissfully unaware of until now.

Does the IGA Technology stuff only run when the game is playing, or am I being continually spied upon? Either way does anyone know how to disable it (I can't find anything in the preferences that will let me do it in game)? If it does only run when the game is playing I presume that making sure I've disabled my internet connection before playing will effectively neutralise it?

Are the ads stored in a cache somewhere that I can delete to get rid of them? They spoil the look of the game and I want my custom ads back!!

Does the IGA Technology stuff only run when the game is playing, or am I being continually spied upon? Either way does anyone know how to disable it (I can't find anything in the preferences that will let me do it in game)? If it does only run when the game is playing I presume that making sure I've disabled my internet connection before playing will effectively neutralise it?

The adware is part of the game itself, so it's only active while the game is running.

You can't disable it in the preferences since SI is making money by you looking at the ads. However, disconnecting from the internet while playing, or using a firewall to block fm.exe from connecting to the internet, will prevent the adware from doing its job. The only way to really get rid of these things is if enough people start doing what I do - refuse buying products that contain adware.

I'm also hoping that the companies that sell these ads will eventually figure out that most people hate having ads forced upon them. Quite a few people actually hate them to such a degree that ads like these will stop them from buying the products being advertised. So, if these ads actually end up costing more money than they generate, then hopefully companies will stop buying ads in places where people won't accept them. But that's never going to happen.

Are the ads stored in a cache somewhere that I can delete to get rid of them? They spoil the look of the game and I want my custom ads back!!

I only played the demo for FM09, and had it blocked in my firewall all the time, so I can't help you with that one.

That's why I block FM. :)

I thought such ads were banned in Australia. I know that EA do not have in-game advertising in their games that are played on Australian servers. It would be interesting to see if they do indeed appear for Australian users.

Archived