Too many veterans?

anyone else agree that players seems to go on forever, i'm in 2019 and forever seeing teams with 6/7 players of 35 or over, it just doesnt happen, they either retire, drop down the divisions, or go see out their days in Qatar or their homeland, is this something that will be addressed in future patches, or FM10?? for example Man Utd have 17 over thirties in their frst team squad!!! players like Gerrard, Terry, A.Cole all still playing at top level at 37/8.

thoughts.......?

It's happening more often in Italy in recent years to be fair, just look at AC Milan. :)

Injury treatment, training facilities, diets, medical care, etc... are improving all the time and prelonging how long players can play at the highest level.

Does make me think of the true golden oldie... Roger Milla in the 90' World Cup though :D

anyone else agree that players seems to go on forever, i'm in 2019 and forever seeing teams with 6/7 players of 35 or over, it just doesnt happen, they either retire, drop down the divisions, or go see out their days in Qatar or their homeland, is this something that will be addressed in future patches, or FM10?? for example Man Utd have 17 over thirties in their frst team squad!!! players like Gerrard, Terry, A.Cole all still playing at top level at 37/8.

thoughts.......?

is fergie still utd manager:D

Didn't happen enough in FM08 in my opinion, so I'm pleased they made older players play more in FM09. I'm not well placed to judge whether it happens too much though.

I think its a good thing, i seen Frank Lampard was level on 164 goals as chelsea top scorer, but he wasnt showing up because he wasnt the most recent, so i made a new manager and took the open chelsea job and got him 2 more goals at the age of 38, then he retired and became Ass Man, and when i was sacked he went to manager

i know there are some exceptions to this, AC milan in particular!! but no way near as happens in FM. the players on previous versions took a nosedive as soon as they reached 32/33 and i think SI may have OVER tweaked it this time. exceptions like Maldini and Milla, but as for Maldini, he's not half the player he was 5 years ago, and i look at these 37/8 year olds, gerrard and terry and their stats aren't much different then when game started!! i doubt they'll be nearly as good in 10 years as they are now!

Didn't happen enough in FM08 in my opinion, so I'm pleased they made older players play more in FM09. I'm not well placed to judge whether it happens too much though.

I agree. Its much better now seeing true world class players continue into their latter years. Here's a prime example from my file:

Daniele De Rossi

As I'm managing AC Milan I am very happy that SI have tweaked things so that 'veteran' players are more prevalent in the game now, it makes sticking to AC's rl transfer policy of signing well established players actually worthwhile sticking to now, so far I've signed Beckham (36) Ronaldinho (32), Zambrotta is 35 and Heinze is 34 in my game now and are still featuring regularly in my first team. The added realism in this department of managing Milan is making this one of the most enjoyable saves I've played on Fm in years.

I agree. Its much better now seeing true world class players continue into their latter years. Here's a prime example from my file:

Daniele De Rossi

I've not seen that far into FM09, but I'd hope that example was an exception rather than the rule!

thoughts.......?

as a matter of interest, are united achieving much success with their geriatrics?

I've not seen that far into FM09, but I'd hope that example was an exception rather than the rule!

Well in Italy he was pretty much the exception. IIRC John Terry played til he was 41! A quick search for the oldest player still going in 2024 yields these two keepers - Ochoa and Carrizo (39 and 40 respectively). Andres Guardado and Gelson Fernandes both at 38 appear to be the eldest outfielders going.

as a matter of interest, are united achieving much success with their geriatrics?

no! they've turned into a mid-table team, as have liverpool and chelsea!! league dominated by man city and arsenal, then from 3rd onwards its anyones game!!!

Archived