Goals from set-pieces

Hello all,

Does anyone else find that when their side is still gelling / getting used to a new tactical set / on low morale, you are more likely to concede from a set-piece?

This season, I have lost or drawn a number of games to the odd set-piece or goal that I could do nothing about. Before anyone says 'it's your tactics', these goals are often very lucky or the result of one of my players making a mistake. The players are doing everything I've instructed them to do to prevent a goal.

Last season, I barely conceded a goal from set-pieces. For this season, I have bought in a large number of new players and have seen the team gelling dip considerably. In addition, I have also been experimenting tactically to the detriment of my performances. Lucky deflections from free kicks or mistakes from corners are common and are scored against me much more than goals from open play. My side are physically very strong, great in the air, and I have excellent centre-backs who are great at marking.

My hypothesis is that when team gelling is poor, or as a new side adapt to a new tactic, or whatever, they are more prone to lacking organisation at set-pieces. If everything is tactically right, you will restrict the opposition to few chances, but the odd set-piece they get will show any lack of cohesion and you will be more likely to concede.

Has anyone else experienced this?

C.

Archived