Time wasted playing this game

It's not a rant, even though it might appear like one. I understand it's quite a good game, at least it has evolved a hell-of-a-lot since the last one i had, cm01/02, it's become very very complicated indeed, and of course it's a good thing i suppose, we have discussed that here trillions of times, so i'm not going to go into that again, some people like it hard, some easy, i personally like it hard, just as long as if i would had also succeeded ;)

But here comes the purpose of this post: all the time i have spent playing this game, at the end is it worth it? Not only have i spent hours trying to learn the tactics, here in the forums, also it takes me about a week, OF GAME TIME (that's propably closer to 2 months in real life time),to complete just one season, i have into fantastic detail how to succeed, but i have failed. I bought this game since day 1, meaning the day it was released. I have played, more or less daily. Sometimes several hours a day. In my currect save, i have played over 2 days already game-time, and i have progressed 4 months.:eek: that's quite shocking really, 2 days of my life, for nothing. Of course, there's always spells when i'm not actually playing and the game is just in the backround, but still it makes you think...

In total, since day 1, all in all i have played, from beginning to end, 3 seasons. the game was released 5 months ago already. I have played with:

Newcastle: got the sack before xmas 1st season

notts county: played 2 and a half season, had moderate succeess won promotion from league 2 + one final appearance in the st.johnstone paint cup.

the remainder of that season i spent in chile, managing everton vina de la mar, doing lacklusterly before accidently quitting the game without saving, then got too pessed off to continue.

Now my newest game,with brondby in denmark, and doing terrible.

Of course it's realistic, that not all of us will be succesfull, what percentage of managers in real life become succesfull? But, too much time spent, and made very small progress. i feel i could had used that time way more productively then what i did.

Sorry guys, just one guys thoughts. But the next edition will stay in the store.

If it's taking you a long time to finish seasons, maybe your specs aren't brilliant. I have quite a high spec machine, but seasons take me quite a long time because I load so many leagues and play with a high level of detail. I just accept it.

All of us could spend time doing things that are more productive than playing a computer game. But time is never wasted if you're enjoying yourself. If you're not, then I guess it is a waste of time for you. But I enjoy FM when I play it (most of the time) so there's no way it's a waste of time for me.

I actually think that, if I didn't enjoy FM, it would not just be a terrible waste of time, but a terrible waste of my limited leisure time.

I feel like I'm learning more about how to beat the match engine, rather about real football

Me too, although I am a very long way from beating it consistntly :(

Let's face it, FM has changed. But then so has real world management. To the OP, it is just a case of adapting to the changes, and learning to become better with newer games. It is just unfortunate that you do not like the game in its newer state.

I feel the game is too complicated sometimes, but for some reason I find myself going back to it again and again :confused: To be honest, if I could win almost every match like I could on CM/FM versions of 10 years ago, I would not enjoy it so much. With FM09, there is much a much bigger feeling of achievement when something works (probably because it is so complicated get things right), so I suggest you stick at it.

I kinda have a feeling you will be back, buying FM10 later this year ;)

I wouldnt say that it's not a good game, even though why aren't i enjoying it if it's good ;)

No,it's a good game, and challenging very much so. And i'm still trying to crack it right now as we speak, despite what i wrote here.

I'm merely saying that retrospectivaly speaking it has been a waiste of time, of course i've had a few great moment, i remember screaming my voice out when i won the play-off final with notts county :) but if i calculate the immense time spent with the progress i've made, both in terms of the amount of seasons played and progress as a manager, then the last 5 months has been done with baby-steps. If the next 5 months would go like this, then i'd propably played 3-4 seasons more, spent a week or 2 in total just playing, and by odds propably achieved very few satisfactional movements, and then the next release would be around the corner.

Now i have 2 weeks to play and then i wont have time to try to crack the game anyway. And haven't yet achieved something that would had made these past month worthwhile, considering how much i've spent time with it.

The game is indeed harder than the previous versions but i have found that with the new patch, the difficulty has been toned down a little bit. The longest i had played with 9.2 was till xmas of the second season and i got bored because the margin of error was so small. However now i am enjoying it a little bit more (in my fifth season and doing pretty well even with a championship team) and hopefully the next version wont be as difficult as this one was right

Archived