The "Because of FM, I lost my temper and did..."

I'm actually genuinely interested to know how many people will be honest and own up to losing their rag with CM/FM over the years and what were the results of the loss of temper.

I personally, have done the following after bad results etc;

- Finshed a girlfriend because she laughed at me

- Smashed two monitors

- Smashed at least 5 key boards

- Snapped CD Rom disks to at least 4 CM/FM games

- Smashed several cups against walls

- Puched a wall (and broke my wrist)

Not proud of any of the above, these days, I'm 31 years old now and have a much better grip on myself, a bout of swearing is usually all I manage now, rather pathetic really.

Some of you must have some corking stories of CM/FM temper loss...

Please share!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm actually genuinely interested to know how many people will be honest and own up to losing their rag with CM/FM over the years and what were the results of the loss of temper.

- Smashed two monitors

Not proud of any of the above, these days, I'm 31 years old now and have a much better grip on myself, a bout of swearing is usually all I manage now, rather pathetic really.

Please share!

Thank you for that! I feel much better now. I thought I was bad sometimes, but nothing like you!

Although, the dog always sneaks out of the room rather sheepishly when I start screaming at the laptop screen!

Edit: I hope "finished a Girlfriend" is not as bad as it sounds??

if the numerous posts about this exact same topic are anything to go by you will get slaughtered by people for doing ridiculous things over a game. I mean come one, breaking up a relationship because someone laughed at you having a fit over a game?! The last few threads got closed cause of the abuse this type of topic generates so this one probably will too, have a search if you really want to know

I've seen similar topics over the years but it's been a while and there must be new players, so i see nothing wrong with this thread.

I can take the abuse, if it comes...

I was much, much younger with the girlfriend thing...kinda funny when i think back...i took this game way too seriously back then.

I think it's really funny how wound up you can get over this game.

I have a mate who smashed up his entire PC set up because of this game. You have to laugh really. He does these days too.

Aussieant32, thanks for the advice and maybe it will get closed but in the meantime, let it be.

Obviously the 'girldfriend finishing' thing is extreme - I refuse to believe others haven't done so too.

Think of it this way....

Could you picture yourself with someone long-term who constantly hated you spending any time at all on your favourite game...and when you were on it, and even just slightly got angry, took the pee every time, eventually, you'd see very clearly that your futures lay on different paths.

It was'nt JUST because of FM I finished her, it was just that happened at the time of a rather painfull loss in a Champ League final...(you know, them winning 2-1 with 2 minutes left, opposition switches to 4-2-4 and scores and equaliser...followed by a winner).

You need some kind of therapy.

Most I have done is swear loudly at the laptop, just as my deeply relligious Grandmother walked into the room.

this is still meant to be lgith hearted and I'm sure his looking back on this in humour but I have to say i have punched a wall and slammed my fist down on my desk a fair few times, i have a good punch though so any breaks were avoided :-P

i seem to merely keep to a calm collected manner nowadays though, but that scares me.

the worst villains in the film world are always the calm quiet ones

just look at silence of the lambs.

Like Ive said, Im 31, a husband, father and much more grown up than 10 years ago.

This is simply a light-hearted poke at myself as I share how outrageously stupid temper loss over a computer game can be.

There must be some real blinding stories though - even better than finishing with a girl, or breaking a limb.

I know a friend of mine that actually got arrested after losing his temper with CM.

He lost a game, smashed up his keyboard, then left his flat to go for a 'calming walk'...

Unfortunately, still mad at his loss, he let go of his temper by kicking a SULO bin about 20 times - infront of a policeman (obviously he didn't see the copper).

Copper nicked him for criminal damage and to prevent a breach of the peace.

He was released without action a short time later when he calmed down and explained all to the policeman, who just happened to empathise entirely, as he too was a CM player...hehe.

That's funny. I've never been that bad.

Apart from shouting at my Dad and refusing to eat when he cut off the electricity because I was late for dinner. That way he ruined quite a few of my CM93 saves (which were then broken). Did not serve to motivate me to sit at the dining table. Rather I wanted to start a new game to get to where I was.

That's also to indicate how long ago that was... ;)

Erm, but for the 'finishing' thing. The ordinary colloquial meaning of that in English is killing someone, right? That would be a bit over the top :D

For the record...

I did not KILL my ex-girlfriend.

By 'finishing' I mean simply that I rather abruptly, rudely and loudly to her to 'f' off, leave me alone and not return to my flat again while I was still alive.

- Smashed two monitors

Please share!

We have a few of these posts from time to time and I'll admit to being genuinely alarmed at some of the things people go to . Not that I'm completely immune to losing the plot - I once smashed a mouse. I was so annoyed that my defenders stood there like lemmings that I smashed my mouse down and it broke. :( Never punched a wall, snapped CDs, smashed keyboards, broken monitors or anything like that.

I thought I was completely over getting angry over computer games, but I've recently started playing FIFA 2009 online, and after 13 games with 0 wins, 4 draws and 9 defeats and a hell of a lot of swearing I put FIFA 2009 on eBay. Sod it. :mad:

ROFL - Its just a game :D

I think some bloke got divorced over the game but that was because he spent so much time on it rather than frustration.

If it causes frustration then play another.

TLM77 - I thought COD4 good but COD5 was a waste of money

I have never actually hurt myself through anger from FM games. I have slammed fists and shouted plenty of obscenities, but I don't end relationships or break the computer. Breaking things may let off some steam, but it will hurt my bank balance more when I need to buy new computer equipment :p

By the way, talking of COD, is anybody on Xbox?

Well I'll admit I've lost my rag a few times but at my young age of 16, I suppose I'm granted it. Well I often like to punch my way trhough my Mums ironing that incidentally she has just ironed, it's nice and hot that way. Secondly and lastly I accidentally broke my chair when I just threw it over.

yeah in my first few versions of CM i used to be a moody little douche for the rest of the day if things weren't going my way, smash things up in my room etc etc. a housemate i introduced to fm08 only took a few days before he nearly smashed his desk by slamming on it regularly in, ****ing hilarious

I managed to break my laptop screen after punching it following a champions league defeat. I didnt even feel that angry just a quick spike of rage and my laptop was out of order.

I do generally indulge in a bit of shouting and swearing and hitting the arms of the sofa. Some people say i get too involved, i just say its the most important thing in my life, im not sure if it is, but its right up there!

The award for silliest reaction to a goal was my friend mark who attempted to strangle his laptop and then smacked the arm of the sofa where he had just put his watch. Good times:D

I've lost my temper a couple of times.I have never smashed anything but a few days ago my Barca team got raped 6-2 by A.Madrid and i stood up after the match and started shouting abuse at my players.Like i was actually on a field,as a real manager losing his rag with his players

After the game my assistant manager made a stupid comment and i sacked him lol

- Smashed two monitors

Please share!

You just cant handle the pressure!!!!

The most I've ever done in 10 years of playing is mutter "Fucks sake" under my breath.

That's pathetic - it's peeple like YOU that SCARE me!

I mean, all that rage just bubbling under the surface...you'll blow your lid one day and christ, I just hope I'm nowhere near you when you pop.

Losing one's rag is extremely healthy, providing it's done appropriately.

I might have lost it a few times but I've never broken any law or anything.

- Smashed two monitors

Please share!

I'm sorry but I just cracked up. This could be the most pathetic post I have ever read. You broke your wrist and split up with a girlfriend over FM?! Oh my God just laughably sad. Sort yourself out.

I'm sorry but I just cracked up. This could be the most pathetic post I have ever read. You broke your wrist and split up with a girlfriend over FM?! Oh my God just laughably sad. Sort yourself out.

Don't hate, congratulate.

Surely not the most pathetic EVER?

I said I wasn't proud of anything I did. I just wanted to show how powerfull this game can be over someone.

Take what I've done into context. I was young, hooked on the game and had issues with my anger (usual parental contributions over the years never helped).

I did "sort myself out" thank you very much. I am a very proud father of two boys and have a very beautiful and wonderful wife. I love my job and I have a lot of great friends.

When youre in your teens / early twenties, things can be very different.

This thread is all about sharing the dark side of the game AND then LAUGHING about it - as said, it's just a game.

I can personally take what you say on the chin, I just think you have leapt in without seeing this for what it is. So what, I broke my wrist, more fool me, I laugh about it now - I'm laughing with you at me...!

But hold back on the holier than thou stuff, please.

I said I wasn't proud of anything I did. I just wanted to show how powerfull this game can be over someone.

Take what I've done into context. I was young, hooked on the game and had issues with my anger (usual parental contributions over the years never helped).

I did "sort myself out" thank you very much. I am a very proud father of two boys and have a very beautiful and wonderful wife. I love my job and I have a lot of great friends.

This thread is all about sharing the dark side of the game AND then LAUGHING about it - as said, it's just a game.

I can personally take what you say on the chin, I just think you have leapt in without seeing this for what it is. So what, I broke my wrist, more fool me, I laugh about it now - I'm laughing with you at me...!

I guess you should be thanking SI then.

Dude I completely agree, its obvious to me you ahve grew up and your jsut basically having a laugh about yourself. People who can do that are truelly genuine people, others like the one that jsut verbally abused you so ahrshly obvious;y take themselves too seriously and they should sort out how harsh they are.

I enjoyed this thread until that guy.

Dude I completely agree, its obvious to me you ahve grew up and your jsut basically having a laugh about yourself. People who can do that are truelly genuine people, others like the one that jsut verbally abused you so ahrshly obvious;y take themselves too seriously and they should sort out how harsh they are.

Thanks buddy, you get it - shame he didn't.

So sorry to have ruined it for you. Forums are for opinions. My opinion of the OP was that it was quite frankly ridiculous to break up with a girlfriend because she laughed at you losing a game of FM. Read that sentence once more and try not to laugh. It is pathetic. That was my opinion.

So sorry to have ruined it for you. Forums are for opinions. My opinion of the OP was that it was quite frankly ridiculous to break up with a girlfriend because she laughed at you losing a game of FM. Read that sentence once more and try not to laugh. It is pathetic. That was my opinion.

Its strong emotive words liek pathetic that is just too harsh.

Sorry to have upset you.

OP used the word 'pathetic'. I thought it was ok to repeat that within this thread. If not then Mods please delete my posts :thup:

and now your just being rude and sarcastic. really showing your character now. well played

Can't say I've ever got more upset than a few occasional bouts of profanity, or "selective Tourettes" :D

I always wonder though, if an old school buddy of mine plays FM. I recall him launching his Spectrum 48k down the stairs of his house once because he lost a game on the original Football Manager. Amazingly, the rubber keyboard must have taken most of the fall, because it didn't break and he was back playing half-an-hour later... after the usual loading bars around screen and naaaaaaarrrrrr...neeeeeeeeee....naaaaaaaarrr...neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (you know what I mean), loading sound. ;)

Archived