Italy questions

Co-Ownership means you own 50% of a player, and another club owns the other 50%. It can last 1 or 2 years I believe, after which each club makes a closed envelope bid for the player. Higher bid wins. Both clubs can delay this by one year, but only once. Player plays at one of the two clubs, as stated at the start of the deal. In the situation that both bids are the same, the club who the player plays for keeps him. Oftentimes, one club doesn't value the player at all, and the bid made will be 0, so you can get players from the top clubs (i.e. Inter, Milan, etc..) for only the original co-ownership fee, which is smaller than a transfer fee. If you're playing as a big club, you can get good players for cheaper, as you can make a bid at the end of the co-ownership that the smaller club cannot financially match.

In terms of foreign players, you are allowed 2 signings from abroad per season (i.e. non-EU). No restrictions on players in the squad, hence Inter has so few Italians.

In terms of foreign players, you are allowed 2 signings from abroad per season (i.e. non-EU). No restrictions on players in the squad, hence Inter has so few Italians.

I thought it was just the one player? It is in Fm08 anyway

I know it was 1 in FM08. In FM09, however, it has been 2 in my experience. I have only played with Inter, but I can't imagine that the FA would make different rules for different teams.

A couple of years ago the ruling was if you had say five Non-EU players in your team at the start of the season, sold them to teams in Italy, then you could buy five more Non-EU players from abroad, as you had five slots. If you had no Non-EU players at the start of the season, then you couldn't buy any from abroad. You had no slots. So they have made rules that favour certain teams over others.

A couple of years ago the ruling was if you had say five Non-EU players in your team at the start of the season, sold them to teams in Italy, then you could buy five more Non-EU players from abroad, as you had five slots. If you had no Non-EU players at the start of the season, then you couldn't buy any from abroad. You had no slots. So they have made rules that favour certain teams over others.

So how would a team get non-EU slots?

So how would a team get non-EU slots?

If they bought a Non-EU player from inside Italy.

The idea was to limit the amount of Non-EU players in the league, and a quota was made for the entire league. So say that there were 200 Non EU players in Serie A, then the quota was 200 Non-EU slots spread out amongst the teams according to how many Non-EU players they had.

So if a team (Team A) with five Non-EU players sold one to a team (Team B) without any Non-EU players, then the next season Team A would have four Non-EU slots and Team B would have one.

Naturally the scheme was abandoned.

I don’t know the Italian FA rules, but in FM there is a info screen regarding the league your are playing there is a second rules, where you can find out what the quota for non EU signings is. I’m currently playing C2 and on thus level 0 non EU signings are aloud. At C1, 1 is.

As stated before there is no limit on signing non EU players if they have a contract in Italy. I’m not sure if this also applies for Non EU player in Italy under Bosman.

Archived