Recent form: WWLLXX...DD...? Is this not a bit pointless?

Just noticed something which I think is pointless. Some may disagree...

Recent form

W____Win

L____Loss

X ___Draw...actually Score Draw

D____No Score Draw

Is this not a bit silly? I mean, I can appreciate that it is useful to know if your opponent has a large number of 0-0 draws. But remember, the form pops up between continues as a quick indication of the leagues form teams so whether a draw is a scoring one or not is largely irelevant.

Thoughts?

I like it, actually. When going into a game, on top of the scout report for the clubs previous game, its nice to look at. Potentially, you could take advantage with a very attacking formation, due to the fact the team hasn't scored in a while, and thus, the strikers low on confidence. So even if you gave away a fair few changes, odds are, they wont score. (Not accurate to 100% or even 90% - but its just my way of thinking.) -

It only just occurred to me as well!

I knew there was something strange about the form. I only just realised that there are X's and D's.

X donates a draw if you are in the bookies. D never seemed to register with me!

Seriously though - if you have an opponent with a few no score draws you would see that from their own fixture list. The form table is simply to show the teams in and out of form. There is no need for a breakdown of draws!

Not a game breaker - just an observation.

It's been the standard abbreviations for reporting football scores for as long as I remember. Not a specific FM development in any way.

When you say standard hwat exactly are you referring to?

In terms of let's say sports news, as far as I am aware all the major players (BBC, Skysports etc) don't display their form tables with differences between score and no-score draws).

I simply don't see the need for it. Form dictates your Wins, Defeats and Draws, not specific scores.

Why is a score draw more worth mentioning a 7-0 victory. In fact a 7-0 victory would be much more valuable to know but you don't see an "R" for Rout..!

I think it's sort of a relic left over when the Pools where a big thing. Then it was important to know the difference between score and non score draws as the score draw got you more points if you where playing the Pools.

I think it's sort of a relic left over when the Pools where a big thing. Then it was important to know the difference between score and no non score draws as the score draw got you more points if you where playing the Pools.

Good explanation actually!

Archived