UK / USA flags as icons

With the greatest of respect to everyone, of all the new emoticons that could be added why have SI chosen National flags of just 2 nations? Whilst Im as proud to be British (English actually!) as the next man, in this day and age it does seem a bit crass, and if its because most forum visitors speak english as a primary language then what has that got to do with a flag anyway?

I have seen Post in here that have been bigotted & unpleasantly nationalistic in the past (I must add that the Mods have policed them well though) and cannot see that the inclusion of these flags really helps! Maybe Im being over sensitive but it does seem ill thought out to me.

I really don't see the point of national flag icons.

Nor do I :(

Also what do I need a question mark emoticon for? I am sure that due to my cunning use of the '?' you have realised the last sentence included a question even without that.

I miss the seagull. Although it's possibly best used in cases which violate the forum rules :D

I really don't see the point of national flag icons.

I imagine they were primarilay added so that OTF can identify a TV show thread which runs on American time as opposed to the british ones.

I agree there is little or no point to them in GD but imagine they wont cat used much either :thup:

• SI Staff
I imagine they were primarilay added so that OTF can identify a TV show thread which runs on American time as opposed to the british ones.

I agree there is little or no point to them in GD but imagine they wont cat used much either :thup:

That is correct, they were requested for that purpose.

Ah, thanks for shedding light on this mystery! :thup: But, that is still kind of odd. Why not just use GMT timing in the title thread to separate them? Having just the American and British flags is bound to raise questions.

That is correct, they were requested for that purpose.

Well then now you have requests like the following:

There are British and American icons available now, could we get more of these flag icons like:

Brazil

France

Germany

Italy

Netherlands

Spain

European Union

And maybe some other countries, they would be useful for the Football Forum.

:D

• SI Staff
Having just the American and British flags is bound to raise questions

Don't see the big deal to be honest.

But these days people in general seem to get their knickers in a twist about the slightest thing.

You been thinking about cats today, Huw? :D

Well, when I said "raise questions", I did not mean people protesting against the flag icons. I meant it simply as it would be expected of people to query about their recent availability. Would you not if you suddenly saw two flags out of hundreds of countries being included as message icons? :)

Apart from the two topics in OTF about it ;)

I'm fairly sure the people in there who appear to be making a fuss are being tongue-in-cheek about it.

Then again, maybe I just give them too much credit.

Still not happining confuesed

You have to type the icon in. Selecting it from where you have been selecting them will only put it in the thread title.

If you want to do a "confused" icon. Type : confused : but without the spaces.

Worst thread i've ever read, shame on the OP for being such a nitpicking fool.. grow a pair bud

But then the OP wouldn’t have been able to show us how “enlightened”, politically correct and morally virtuous he was by highlighting how the wicked Anglosphere is oppressing and intimidating the poor, defenceless rest of the world again.

Not that I’m suggesting the PC brigade are in any way patronising. I’m sure the poor ickle non-Anglosphreric “minority” are crying their eyes out.

I am the OP. I didnt get this point so, yes, my thread was maybe not the best! My last sentence in the OPosting suggested that I may have been over sensitive and so it has appeared. I never really imagined that they had been added for unpleasant reasons but we live in a funny old world nowadays. By the way, david22, I have a pair, "Bud", its those that dont highlight when something may be potentially going down a dark road that are the seedless ones!. Hopefully you will learn that when you grow up. 12 months a ago I would not have even considered making the Post but some biggotted filth about Jock Stein was Posted a few months back and that was at the back of my mind - apologies to you all for getting off on the wrong foot.

Archived