I can't stop conceding from corners.

I have a huge problem where I just can't stop conceding from corners. It's happening way too regularly.

I'm a club in the lower divisions in Scotland and in a real bad run of form which has seen me pick up a 1 point from a possible 15. The thing that has annoyed me most about this is that I've lost at home against bottom of the league (who everyone is hammering and are definitely relegated), and now my last match at home against second from bottom in a game I really needed to win.

In the last 5 games I've conceded 7 from corners out of 12 conceded overall. I pay close attention to set pieces and always have tall players back marking with 6 players back man marking and 2 on the posts with the other 2 up front. But it seems that out of nowhere my goalkeeper will not catch the ball and it falls to their striker to tap in (twice), or my defender has misjudged the height of the ball (three times), and even the ball somehow traveling straight through my defender.

It has really started annoying me as it seems I have no control over this anymore, and I'm now staring relegation in the face. Of course my star striker (who is well above league average) can't score, even 1 on 1's, or chances from 7 yards, or header's from anywhere, he even missed an open goal. But, I can't seem to work out the corner thing.

Any help, anyone?

Well it is in the lower Scottish leagues so they aren't great. I have 3 players in the first team with jumping of 11 and that's the highest. It's rare that I play team's who have player's with higher than that. And it's not really that they aren't challenging in the air. It's more a lack of concentration. But even those stats are high-ish.

Maybe have more tactical and set piece work in your training schedules to try and improve the attributes that matter in those situations. If you have your team instructions (defending corners) already set up to what you think is right and where you think things are going wrong then that's all I can really suggest tbh.

I've found that man marking at defensive corners is not very effective. I usually keep the centre backs "marking tall" and players on the posts, but for the rest I have them all with "go back" instructions.

My thoughts are, its better just to crowd the space rather than any specific instructions.

I'd try it at least, as it seems it can't get any worse.

One thing that I didn't mention that I've just checked is that the corner taker for one of the teams I played has 17 for crossing and 16 for corners, which at this level is pretty good, so maybe that is a decisive factor.

Archived