Annoying regen names

Some might call this extremely picky, but does anyone else find it intensely annoying when the made up regen names never seem to be a good match for the the supposed nationality of the player?

Maybe we can make a good thread of it.

List the name and nationality of the top misfits from your game below, mine are;

Rosario Gonzalez Fernandez - Dutch

Morgan Schneiderlin - French

Mario Di Rosa - German

Andy Wilson - French (lol)

Also we can include the most annoyingly repeated regen surnames; mine are all french:

Chevalier (3 in senior squad)

David (3 in senior squad)

Simon (3 in U21 squad)

Dubois (3 in U21 and 5 (!!) in U19)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some might call this extremely picky, but does anyone else find it intensely annoying when the made up regen names never seem to be a good match for the the supposed nationality of the player?

Maybe we can make a good thread of it.

List the name and nationality of the top misfits from your game below, mine are;

Mario Di Rosa - German

Also we can include the most annoyingly repeated regen surnames; mine are all french:

Chevalier (3 in senior squad)

David (3 in senior squad)

Simon (3 in U21 squad)

Dubois (3 in U21 and 5 (!!) in U19)

what happened there?

Whats that in the middle of the name?

I think Morgan Schneiderlin is a real player. I have noticed a high amount of Brazilians with Asian names in my game though

oh, so he is.

my mistake - he's now at bayern munchen on my game

One thing that has always annoyed me is regens with the same first and last name e.g. Scott Scott, David David, Ross Ross etc. As stupid as some parents are in the UK, i've never seen a player given the same forename and surname.

Could happen due to their mother marrying another guy after he's born. A mate of mine changed his surname a few years ago after his mother married.

His second name isn't now the same as his first. But it could happen.

One thing that has always annoyed me is regens with the same first and last name e.g. Scott Scott, David David, Ross Ross etc. As stupid as some parents are in the UK, i've never seen a player given the same forename and surname.

Have you forgotten the famous football connected Neville Neville, father of Phil and Gary

Could happen due to their mother marrying another guy after he's born. A mate of mine changed his surname a few years ago after his mother married.

His second name isn't now the same as his first. But it could happen.

Ok fair enough it's possible, but its so unlikely it may as well not be. I mean how many British players in real life can you say have the exact same first and last name?

Schneiderlin is from Strasbourg so it's not that weird.

The others are a tad odd, but I mean look at the German and the Australian national teams, for a start. Australia have Viduka, Theoklitos, Pondeljak, Vargas, Elrich, Galekovic, Vukovic, Bresciano...

I have Simon Simon,

but he's French so I guess its pronounced more like Simone Simone.

Schneiderlin is from Strasbourg so it's not that weird.

The others are a tad odd, but I mean look at the German and the Australian national teams, for a start. Australia have Viduka, Theoklitos, Pondeljak, Vargas, Elrich, Galekovic, Vukovic, Bresciano...

I believe the reason for that is likely to be that Australia is an extremely popular place for emigration, people will move there from all corners of the earth, have kids, and then as they were born in the country, are eligible to play for them.

I believe the reason for that is likely to be that Australia is an extremely place for emigration, people will move their from all corners of the earth, have kids, and then as they were born in the country, are eligible to play for them.

That may well be the case with any strange regen names...

I believe the reason for that is likely to be that Australia is an extremely place for emigration, people will move their from all corners of the earth, have kids, and then as they were born in the country, are eligible to play for them.

Yep, although I think quite a bit of it is emigration FROM there too. Seems everyone wants to be in Australia but the Australians. If I remember rightly, they called someone up fairly recently whose first language wasn't English.

Mario Di Rosa - German

Germany, The Netherlands and especially France have plenty of immigrants. Just take a look at their national teams an youth sides and you'll see that a lot of them have foreign names.

Gary and Phil Nevilles dad is called Neville Neville

Yep, although I think quite a bit of it is emigration FROM there too. Seems everyone wants to be in Australia but the Australians. If I remember rightly, they called someone up fairly recently whose first language wasn't English.

I have no idea who you're talking about but that could be the case for other teams. For example, Amauri looks like he is going to play for Italy even though his first language isn't Italian. The reason for so many Australian players having distinctly different surnames is because of the multiculturalsm and the majority of the football community is based around migrants from countries that have a strong football history, Crotia is just one example. I know someone who plays for Sydney United (part time australian team) and he says that the coach is crotian along with a number of the players there so the coach speaks to those players in croatian.

I've got an Australian regen called Ivanovic so I'm assuming he must be from Croatian/Serbian descent. I didn't realize there were that many Croatian in Australia. It's amazing what interesting facts you can learn from FM :)

I've got an Australian regen called Ivanovic so I'm assuming he must be from Croatian/Serbian descent. I didn't realize there were that many Croatian in Australia. It's amazing what interesting facts you can learn from FM :)

There are heaps! I think three of the players in the Croatian national team are actually Australian.

I keep getting Scottish-Asian players in my game. Or should that be Asian-Scots?

I actually have a friend who is of Vietnamese descent, but raised in Scotland. Speaks with the thickest Glaswegian brogue going around. It was quite strange at first.

Mario Di Rosa - German

Di Rosa isn't that odd as quite a few people have mixed German/Italian or Swiss heritage.

I think Morgan Schneiderlin is a real player. I have noticed a high amount of Brazilians with Asian names in my game though

Brazil has the highest Japanese community anywhere outside of Japan, so it makes sense.

Ah yes. One thing that annoys me greatly.

Singapore regens often (nay, always) seem to have 'hybrid' names of Malay and Chinese, like Mohamad Ong, Faizal Tan etc. A Malay given name plus a Chinese surname.

While yes, Singapore is a multiracial country with Chinese, Malays and Indians, we do not name people like that even in cross-cultural marriages. If a Chinese marries a Malay for example, the offspring will usually take on one or the other, and never a hybrid name.

It's something that they really need to work on.

Using Schneiderlin as an example is pure class :D

Have you checked if those players have a second nationality? You should find most of them have the according second nationality, i.e. I'm sure that Mario Di Rosa will have Italian second nationality. :)

Have you forgotten the famous football connected Neville Neville, father of Phil and Gary

I must also say here that during telephone calls at work I have spoken to a Mr Lawrence Lawrence and a Mr Michael Michael!

They guy didn't even say Mke Michael or Mick Michael!

That happened on mine, there was a Ryan Ryan lol

This can happen in real life, I know a Robert Roberts.

And isn't the Neville brothers' dad called Neville Neville? Not sure about this, may be a myth.

This can happen in real life, I know a Robert Roberts.

And isn't the Neville brothers' dad called Neville Neville? Not sure about this, may be a myth.

No, Neville Neville is a legend and really exists.

I have Gary Sweeney (Swedish)

Both of the above are workers in SI, and will be in everyones game. There is quite a long thread about Gary Sweeney actually, called 'recurring regen' or similar. Type 'faceinthegame' into the search box for more:)

I have often hoped to find a regen bearing the name Juan Kerr, obviously of mixed Latino-Irish descent. Clearly he would also have annoying character traits to suit the name.

There have been some classic Korean names in real life, Ho Bum Fuk springs to mind. Talk about a commentators nightmare :D - I've yet to find any that have matched that as regens though.

I find the double names annoying as there are too many. The people who have names that sound like a different country I have no problem with at all there are plenty of immigrants in alot countries so it makes sense really.

Isnt there an Alex playing for the Japanese national team in real life?

Archived