To patch, or not to Patch?

Hi guys, I am still pllaying FM in its raw, original state.

I have attempted to patch to 9.2 before, and failed, so i decided to forget about it.

However, reading the changelist, i must say none of them has affected me, or so i have noticed.

Would the patch be of benefit to me? As i hardly notice bugs and if i do i simply carry on, as i am not fussy about it.

Would it improve the performance?

Apart from bug fixes, what do i stand to gain?

You get data updates, including stats, manager and player transfers.

I would download 9.3.0, FM is a lot better with it.

No need to bump so soon, the patch took me about 5 minutes to download and install. No time at all.

Ok cool, thats swayed me a bit towards the patch.

However, my laptop probably is nothing compared to your operating system;)

It took me two hours to download 9.2

Get 9.2 patch but don't bother with 9.3. for me 9.2 was running brilliantly I had finally found a balanced tactic that meant if a player was good he usually played good and both my strikers scored about the amount I would expect from players of theeir standard, it was best one since fm06 for me, but now since the patch I'm back to strikers can't hit a barn door again and either create loads of chances and miss them all one week, and then create absolutely no chances the next week

I always get patched up to the hilt if I can. I've never found the injuries that problematic, and the changelist does seem to improve certain areas, so I always like to run the most up to date version I can.

But will it improve the performance and make it run smoother?

Check the changelist, but I don't recall anything like that in there. I suspect a hardware upgrade would do the trick though.

Check the changelist, but I don't recall anything like that in there. I suspect a hardware upgrade would do the trick though.

The last driver update for my laptop was in 2003, so i may have to either

A) save for a new laptop and get by with FM as it is.

B) bring it to shop and see if they upgrade it, but still save the money for this to be done.

C) wait and see if i win the FM Club draw.

Well, im quitting smoking so i need the patch.

On topic both 9.2.0 and 9.3.0 are significant improvements on the original version, although 9.3.0 is slightly better IMO. Why not save your game onto a memory stick as a backup, patch up, then continue a save? That way if you dont like it you can always re-install the game and you have a copy of your save. SI wouldnt make the patches if it didnt improve the game!

Yeah pretty old, and option C is a Loooooooooooong Shot.

To be honest, the difference in hardware in the last 6 years is pretty huge, and you will see massive improvements in the performance of the game if you invest in a new laptop. Normally, I'd advise simply getting some new RAM in your laptop as that's pretty cheap and easy (though I suspect with a laptop of that age, the most you could get is 2GB, but you're probably running XP anyway, so it can't utlitise more than 3.5GB of RAM in any case).

The CPU you have is single core, but it could be a decent clock speed (2.8-3Ghz?) so, while FM supports multi-threading (dual and quad cores), a decent single core CPU should be fine.

The killer for you with FM09 might be the graphics, though. If you've got a crappy integrated graphics card, don't expect decent performance in the 3D view.

You can pick up a decentish laptop for around £400-500, so while that's not small change, you can get far more bang for bucks than you could six years ago!

To be honest, the difference in hardware in the last 6 years is pretty huge, and you will see massive improvements in the performance of the game if you invest in a new laptop. Normally, I'd advise simply getting some new RAM in your laptop as that's pretty cheap and easy (though I suspect with a laptop of that age, the most you could get is 2GB, but you're probably running XP anyway, so it can't utlitise more than 3.5GB of RAM in any case).

The CPU you have is single core, but it could be a decent clock speed (2.8-3Ghz?) so, while FM supports multi-threading (dual and quad cores), a decent single core CPU should be fine.

The killer for you with FM09 might be the graphics, though. If you've got a crappy integrated graphics card, don't expect decent performance in the 3D view.

You can pick up a decentish laptop for around £400-500, so while that's not small change, you can get far more bang for bucks than you could six years ago!

Totally agreed, you were spot on with my laptop specs though, here they are and you can see how bad my laptop is:

note that my laptop has 256 RAM, not the proposed 512.

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,1000000333,10003105,00.htm

And I am yet to experience 3d, and as i am only 17, 400-500 is out of my price range, but two months of work will solve that.

Edit: the graphics are quite bad, i cant see regens without slowing the whole thing down so i had to turn the option off. I was going to go back to FM 07 and 08, but both discs are severely scratched and are unusable:(

Archived