How does FM run on a Mac (Buying a new computer)

Long story short, my old computer bit the dust on me and I'm not even sure why. Having said that I'm making the jump to a Mac but I'm curious as to how FM plays on a Mac. My last cpu had a 2.0 ghz with 2 gigs of ram and while I thought this would be plenty, come to find out, FM still bogged it down. Here are the specs for the new Mac I'm buying....

Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.4GHz w/ 1066MHz frontside bus

2GB memory (DDR3 SDRAM, 2 x 1GB)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M w/ 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared w/ main memory

My question is, should I have any issues running FM with this setup?

Is that an iMac? you might want to top up the RAM to 4 Gb. Don't buy the RAM from apple though because they are very expensive. buy them from other vendors like Crucial instead.

Thanks mate, I'm a Mac newbie. How difficult is it to install the RAM myself? I can easily do it on CPU myself, (I've built several computers), but I've ever messed with the inner workings of a MAC.

Runs great on a Mac (I've got a MacBook Pro). One thing I have noticed, and it may just be that 2D is easier for me to gauge the tactical nuances, is that on 3D, the computer is ridiculously hard to play against with the 9.0.3 patch.

And to answer your question, if you're familiar with computers, you should be able to pop the extra RAM sticks in just fine. Not sure if you've got a laptop or an iMac, but at any rate, it shouldn't be too difficult. Enjoy! :thup:

Mine does tend to get hot, but the vents are in between the keyboard and monitor, as well as at the back, the hard drive and processor are towards the center underneath, so if you block off the air supply with your lap, it will definitely overheat. When mine starts getting too hot or fussy, I take it off of my lap and stick it on the coffee table, so it can breathe a bit better, and after a few minutes, it's good to go again.

You shouldn't worry about it overheating - if it gets too hot because it can't get sufficient air supply, it has an auto-standby mechanism that will kick in. That's why it goes into standby any time you shut the screen, because there is a censor that will know when the vents are blocked.

Glad to see other "Mac-ers" on the forum!

Thanks mate, I'm a Mac newbie. How difficult is it to install the RAM myself? I can easily do it on CPU myself, (I've built several computers), but I've ever messed with the inner workings of a MAC.

not hard at all. if anything mac are build for upgrading these stuff. having said that I use Mac Pro myself (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon and 16 Gb RAM, just to show off :cool:) so I have never upgrade an iMac before. MacPro is pretty easy to do, because everything inside are so neat and clear.

You guys with MacBooks don't have issues with overheating? I've got the new aluminium one with 4GB ram, and it gets quite hot after a couple games... it's a new computer so i force myself to shut it off for a rest.

that's why they said MacBook are not laptop. anyone stupid enough to put it on their lap will end up going to A&E

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I've got my MacBook upgraded to 4gb of RAM, (2.4 ghz aluminum MacBook). And it runs like a champ. Amazing computer. My last PC had problems running FM and actually overheated while running FM which caused my motherboard to fry.

This Mac is much quieter and cooler while running FM, and the install of the 4gb of RAM was cake. Cemthetriton, I'm in the same boat as you, I play FM on the MAC until it gets hot and then put it on the table for a bit, which cools it down fairly quickly.

Thanks for all the info guys.

To you people suffering with burnt laps, google "SMC fan control". It allows you to override the automatic settings for the fans and set your own RPM, meaning you can whack the fan speed up at the sake of charge life and noise, can get my meltingly hot Macbook Pro down so its too cool to have on my bare lap.

To you people suffering with burnt laps, google "SMC fan control". It allows you to override the automatic settings for the fans and set your own RPM, meaning you can whack the fan speed up at the sake of charge life and noise, can get my meltingly hot Macbook Pro down so its too cool to have on my bare lap.

Very Nice!

Sorry to hijack the thread but is there a way too download the mac version? I am suffering from fm cold turkey and cant get to the shops, just wondered if you can download the mac version from anywhere. I have only found the pc option

Thanks

Sorry to hijack the thread but is there a way too download the mac version? I am suffering from fm cold turkey and cant get to the shops, just wondered if you can download the mac version from anywhere. I have only found the pc option

Thanks

I've heard about a site you can DL it from. eSellerate.com I believe is the site. I've got no experience with them so I can't get them a thumbs up or anything. I know they have a link for their patches here on SI so they can't be that bad I assume.

I bought the game from Amazon, got it in two days and paid only a few extra dollars for it.

Archived