Inelegible player unhappy over lack of first team chances

I brought a player in during the Jan. transfer window (9.3) but he's apparently ineligible to play because this is his 3rd club in X amount of months, sorry I'm at work and don't have the save in front of me so I don't have the exact wording.

I made him a Key player and he is playing in the reserve matches but now I'm getting messages from my Ass Man about his unhappiness about his lack of chances playing first team football and he's considering his options.

A bug, no?

In addition, the Ass Man is in charge of reserve & under 18 matches. On matches with fixtures on the same day, the Ass Man is apparently prowling the sidelines at home and then links up with me several hundred miles away for my first team away fixture. Could he be giving me advice while watching the match on TV?

I brought a player in during the Jan. transfer window (9.3) but he's apparently ineligible to play because this is his 3rd club in X amount of months, sorry I'm at work and don't have the save in front of me so I don't have the exact wording.

I made him a Key player and he is playing in the reserve matches but now I'm getting messages from my Ass Man about his unhappiness about his lack of chances playing first team football and he's considering his options.

A bug, no?

In addition, the Ass Man is in charge of reserve & under 18 matches. On matches with fixtures on the same day, the Ass Man is apparently prowling the sidelines at home and then links up with me several hundred miles away for my first team away fixture. Could he be giving me advice while watching the match on TV?

You need to send him to your feeder club abroad in the hope he obtains a work permit after a year.

Something you should have checked before signing him. There is a string in the offer screen that tells you he would have been inelligible for you.

It goes without saying that if you sign a player as Key and then dump him in the reserves - for whatever reason - that he will become disgruntled.

Something you should have checked before signing him. There is a string in the offer screen that tells you he would have been inelligible for you.

It goes without saying that if you sign a player as Key and then dump him in the reserves - for whatever reason - that he will become disgruntled.

I'm not questioning his inelegible status. I believe I was given fair warning before I signed him. What I'm saying is it's obvious to both the player and myself he can't play until the season starts so if he's going to be unhappy then why agree to sign? He KNOWS he's not going to play. Why the messages about re-considering his future at the club IF I don't give him first team matches?

I'm trying to say it's obvious to all that he won't play so his warnings about reconsidering his future IF I don't play him seem like a bug.

It's a computer. It doesn't 'know' it is ineligible. It doesn't go "Oh, I'm gutted to be ineligible, but I'll happily play in the reserves."

By giving him Key Player all the computer recognises is that it has been signed as such and expects to play.

If the player knows he is ineligible anyway he probably won't sign.

It's not a bug, it's your failing as a manager to take into consideration the future properly.

Of course a player will be annoyed if you tell him one thing and then do another. It is YOUR job to make sure the players are eligible, not his. You could have easily signed him at the next transfer window/end of season instead of signing him immediately. You could have not lied to him about his squad status (he clearly can't be a Key Player if he's not even elligible. I understand that's what you intended to do with him, but intentions are not actions, and a player can only go by your actions. You promised him that he would be Key, and now he is not and cannot play. I would be unhappy if someone treated me in this manner.

It's not a bug, it's your failing as a manager to take into consideration the future properly.

Of course a player will be annoyed if you tell him one thing and then do another. It is YOUR job to make sure the players are eligible, not his. You could have easily signed him at the next transfer window/end of season instead of signing him immediately. You could have not lied to him about his squad status (he clearly can't be a Key Player if he's not even elligible. I understand that's what you intended to do with him, but intentions are not actions, and a player can only go by your actions. You promised him that he would be Key, and now he is not and cannot play. I would be unhappy if someone treated me in this manner.

Better explanation than mine. :thup:

It's not a bug, it's your failing as a manager to take into consideration the future properly. :confused: Seems kind of harsh.

Thanks for the explanation. I kind of get it. Player status (key player) is assigned when I offer the contract. It's understood player is inelegible before contract is confirmed. Player accepts. I still think at that stage it's obvious to all that he CANNOT play. Not like I don't want to play him. Not like the player doesn't understand how many clubs he's been at in a short amount of time.

Anyway I can see your point of view about why he might be unhappy.

BenAresenal said: If the player knows he is ineligible anyway he probably won't sign

Yes, that is what I thought too but sign he did.

BenArsenal said: It's a computer. It doesn't 'know' it is ineligible. It doesn't go "Oh, I'm gutted to be ineligible, but I'll happily play in the reserves."

But they seem to know how much they want in contract negotiations. They seem to know which players they like and dislike. When you approach to sign a player they seem to know whether they are willing to go to your club or not. Yet, they or their 'agent' doesn't know they'll be inelegible before they sign the contract? Hmmm...

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I just thought it was odd.

I think this is a bug, I know it is the op's fault but irl, if a player knows he will be ineligible and chooses to sing anyway, then he should not moan essentialy about being ineligible.

spurz123,

The player acts if he doesn't know he's inelegible. That's why I thought it might be a bug.

No, it's not a bug because you, as the manager, told him he would be playing a major role by assigning him a Key Role status. As has been said above, it is the manager's job to ensure players legitimacy, not the player's.

Ok I agree on this at all.

But, theorically, the player knows that he can't playe till the end of the season so he shouldn't be so willing to transfer.

The_Redeemer: couldn't you set the transfer to "end of the season"?

Ok I agree on this at all.

But, theorically, the player knows that he can't playe till the end of the season so he shouldn't be so willing to transfer.

The_Redeemer: couldn't you set the transfer to "end of the season"?

The player doesn't know. He's dumb.

It is up to the manager to point it out to him (if it was real life).

Skorp, I have to disagree, he could have signed as Backup, but if he is inelligible for the remainder of the season he'd still going to become disgruntled. He should have known the situation before he signed just like the manager did. Yes the OP made a mistake in signing the player, but so did the player by joining a club he can't play for yet, the manager sees the warning and says "that's OK with me, here's your contract to sign" and then by signing the contract the player is saying that it's OK with him too.

That's the thing with computer games. There is no way you can actually tell a player that he is ineligible. I would guess that if the computer player had a brain he would still think he's eligible.

The only way is to not proceed with the transfer as a manager. The computer player is not that smart to decipher things on his own.

That's the thing with computer games. There is no way you can actually tell a player that he is ineligible. I would guess that if the computer player had a brain he would still think he's eligible.

What? You can teach everything to a computer, it's just about how good you're at teaching. If a player transfers more than twice in season, then a value is set true. If this value is true than another algorythm manage player's happiness. This is just a simple way to get the idea of what the game should do.

I usually sign a player at the start of the game that is sitting out the year due to personal problems. He's "ineligible to play club football" until 2009 (I start in Jan of 08) so I send him to my feeder club, where he promptly starts playing for them. When his loan expires in July he returns to the team...and then the fans start whining that he isn't seeing enough playing time, even though he isn't supposed to play at all until January for me. The kid's got loads of potential so I try and sign him before anyone else (and let him gain time in my country towards possible citizenship), and this is the thanks I get from my fans?

Skorp, I have to disagree, he could have signed as Backup, but if he is inelligible for the remainder of the season he'd still going to become disgruntled. He should have known the situation before he signed just like the manager did. Yes the OP made a mistake in signing the player, but so did the player by joining a club he can't play for yet, the manager sees the warning and says "that's OK with me, here's your contract to sign" and then by signing the contract the player is saying that it's OK with him too.

If he accepted a contract to be a backup, there is a chance he won't complain though, since he knew he wasn't going to get much time anyway.

Archived