Getting off to a good start in a season

Admittedly it could be co-incidence, but I'm entering my fourth season now and have again got off to an awful start. Its happened each season so far and Im wondering if Im doing something wrong, for the first six games or so I tend to get beat a lot and then suddenly pick up and play like we normally should.

Is there some sort of training system one should employ to stop this? or have I just been unlucky?

If you are bringing in several new players in the summer transfer window then your team will take a little while to gel.

Yeah. I've noticed even if you make no changes to your first 11, or just 1, it might be the start of the 3rd season before your team gelling is acceptable - at least according to the assistant.

Can't say how much difference it might make, but with morale as important as it is, I always schedule a home friendly against an obsure minnow as the first and final pre-season games. This season my 2012 Tottenham side played a team called Barnstaple and won 28-0 in the first preseason game. A result like that seems to get everyone feeling pretty good and in the right frame of mind to kick off a new season :) Wonder what it might have been had they had any fitness.

I've experienced both sides of the coin in my past two seasons in my game (playing in Serie C1 at the minute)

I was strapped for cash and had a lot of players on two year contracts who I was unable to release, and made very few changes to my squad over the summer before last. I got off to a fantastic start and was in the play offs for much of the season, before gradually tailing off to eighth or ninth.

This season I brought in about 6 or 7 new players, flirted with relegation initially, and then shot up the table (about midway through we are in the play offs and catching the teams above us)

Can't say how much difference it might make, but with morale as important as it is, I always schedule a home friendly against an obsure minnow as the first and final pre-season games. This season my 2012 Tottenham side played a team called Barnstaple and won 28-0 in the first preseason game. A result like that seems to get everyone feeling pretty good and in the right frame of mind to kick off a new season :) Wonder what it might have been had they had any fitness.

Second that, playing the last pre-season's friendly game with a team you expect to thrush is a good way for a descent start (due to morale boost). :thup: Unless of course you cannot find someone worse than you to play...

Archived