End of FM for me

I know the 'flmaers' will ruin my goodbye thread but its something I'll have to live with :(

FM2009, what a very disappointing game for me.

The biggest 2 problems I found with the game were :

1) The complete lack of Consistency

2) The complete uselessness of the added Decimal Point in player ratings

Now I know people will say that the consistency of results is just life in football but its not just about the results.

Its stems from results to tactics to players to press conf's etc etc.

There is no consistency what so ever in the game.

And the Decimal Point in the ratings.....what on earth was the 'point' in that?

I think PC Gamer done a good review on the game and in the review it pointed out that Championship Manager is closer to Football Manager in terms of how good a game it is for the 1st time since the spilt. I'll prob try that, can't hurt can it.

I've been playing CM / FM since the Amiga, waiting 30 mins for a game to load, to this waste of a dvd and £24.99.

FM2007 was by imho the best version of the game.

SI, you've tried to just be too 'fancy' and too realistic for your own good and I bet alot of people have left the game in its box for a very log time. This whole issue of the game has been poor from the bug ridden activation to the complete tits up of the font to reg it.

For the sake of the loyal (and by loyal I mean it by the highest regards of the term) paying customers that have made your company what it is today, take a good hard look at FM2009 and see what is bad with it not just what is good with it.

For the next version will either put FM back at the top where it belongs or it will see Eidos (Or whom ever they sell out too) take the mantle of best Football Management Sim.

If the reviews are good for FM2010, I may just take a look at it but for now, FM2009 will not be install on my new PC this afternoon and the game will be binned, the best place for it.

Over and out.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The decimal point thing is ineed quite funny :D

I wonder if the game is that good that this is the biggest flaw.

Also I won't say that I also leave the game in the box. As it needs no dvd in the drive.

The real reason must be what was worded very oddly in section 1 and there are many things which are just not right. I really hope that these will be spotted well and successfully addressed. This rant might not have been well worded but yet it's another customer lost. The sad thing is that SI will hardly be able to advertise for FM10 by saying they removed all the flaws. There will have to be some new features which as always won't work perfectly from day 1 :(

I think the overall point of the OP is good, and I agree with it, even though I'm not bothered about the decimal point. As some has stated: that is far from an issue needed to be looked into. There are several other, far more important. I have not binned my game, but it is rarely being played, which is a really bad sign in my case.

To be fair I haven't played this edition as much as the previous editions, it's just too much of the same for me. 3D or not.

However. I disagree about the demical bit. They are there to indicate that there's a difference between a 6.5 and a 7.4. Fair enough I would say.

My biggest grudge against FM at the moment is the tactics system. It's too unclear. But my opinion on the tactics system is well documented in other topics and I do not feel the need to repeat myself constantly.

To be honest I am on the verge of quitting this game for the same reason above, consistency.

I've been addicted to this game since cm97/98 and this is without a doubt the most annoying version. It was summed up when my mate and I played a network game against each other. On one occasion we played the network game on the same computer (bad idea cause it screwed the saved game) but anyway, we both went on a good 10 or so game run with almost all wins (he was unbeaten at the top of L2 with Oxford, I was in playoffs in the Champ). The game had been saved prior to that in case of any screw ups so we had to re start from that point after it messed up. On the second occasion we played the same fixtures we both then went with the same teams and tactics and both went on indescribable loosing streaks we couldn't break.

I thought I'd try this in a single player game I had after I went on yet another indescribable loosing streak. I saved and then re loaded from my previous save point and played the same teams and same tactics. Low and behold I won about every game.

It seems to me this game is completely random in the way you win or loose games. I like to think I’m pretty good at FM games but this one seems to have no reasoning behind whether you win or loose even if you have vastly better players than the opposition. It is not a patch on FM 2006 which is my favourite version of the game and unless SI buck up their ideas I won't be buying another copy of this game.

yep i too think the game has gone the wrong way .. im hoping that all the good reviews of the new cm2009 game is right . which is out next month and the demo out later this week . because if it is good then i feel that many of us will go back to where we started to cm .. the reviews of the game really stand out way above fm2009

I thought I'd try this in a single player game I had after I went on yet another indescribable loosing streak. I saved and then re loaded from my previous save point and played the same teams and same tactics. Low and behold I won about every game.

Just because you did everything the same doesn't mean the AI did.

yep i too think the game has gone the wrong way .. im hoping that all the good reviews of the new cm2009 game is right . which is out next month and the demo out later this week . because if it is good then i feel that many of us will go back to where we started to cm .. the reviews of the game really stand out way above fm2009

maybe the forums will have less spam to clean up and more time for si to focus on the game then :D

hot news from eidos press release

This morning we have announced that the launch date for the next version of Championship Manager has been rescheduled from it’s April 25th date.

look at wot happened to fm2009 this year it was full of bugs and a sub-standerd game becasuse it was rushed though

In a statement to the city, Eidos announced that ‘in line with Company’s strategy of developing the highest quality games, we have decided to delay the release of Champi onship Manager from April 2009 to ensure we deliver the best game to our customers and maximise the potential for this franchise. As a result, the release date will move into the Company’s next financial year’

Whilst we recognize that it will be frustrating for fans of the game to have to wait further for the release, we have constantly stated that a quality game is vital to our efforts of rebooting the franchise, and is in line with the company's objectives of delivering quality experiences to fans and consumers

This next version is a major milestone in the history of Championship Manager - it's the most established and oldest brand in sport gaming, and we’re absolutely committed to ensure that the game returns to the previous benchmarks of gameplay, innovation and quality that have marked the franchise out over the years.

As such, we are not going to release the next edition until we’re absolutely ready to do so and until we’re 100% happy with it.

As much as this is a tough decision to make for both ourselves and our fans, it is something we believe is in the best interests of delivering a high quality game experience for the next edition of Championship Manager

This next version includes some new and yet-to-be announced features, and both these and the new release date for the next edition of the game will be announced shortly

Just because you did everything the same doesn't mean the AI did.

This sort of thing happens all the time in the FM09. If it's not that it is inept second half displays after dominating a first half and being a couple of goals to the good. Like I said, the game seems far to random to me and I've given up to go back to a previous version of the game which is far more enjoyable.

Actually, one more problem I have with the newer versions is when chairmen accept bids for players without discussion. My reason is this, if you are a relatively successful manager of a mid sized club which has plenty money in the bank and you are building a team, a chairman would not accept a bid for a star player without ANY discussion in real life. It would be discussed with the manager and at the very least they might negotiate the price!

I had Dentinho at Hull in the prem having taken them from the brink of relegation to L1, promotion the next season and then finishes of 14th and 10th in my first two prem seasons. Bought Dentinho for the 3rd season and he was awesome, in Jan he was sold to Man U with no discussion. If FM prides itself on being 'realistic' then this in my opinion is not realistc. This issue has occurred when I've played as Aberdeen and been winning the SPL. It is ridiculous.

Got to be worth playing the demo. The reviews are generally excellent.:eek:

This sort of thing happens all the time in the FM09. If it's not that it is inept second half displays after dominating a first half and being a couple of goals to the good. Like I said, the game seems far to random to me and I've given up to go back to a previous version of the game which is far more enjoyable.

Did you see the Villa vs Spurs game at the weekend? Villa completely dominated first half, and looked inept in the second half.

The game is random, it has random factors built in else everything would be the same all the time and therefore dull.

In the case of one load losing all the games, and the second load winning all of them. One thing i say play a big part in this is confidence. Win the first game and confidence may be high, pushing them to play well for the succession of games. Lose and your players wont have that spring in the step unless you can find the way to pick them back up.

I not having problems myself. Never had massive injury issues, never had consistancy issues (ie my current man utd game, im in season 4, and had something like 135 games in the league unbeaten), and i dont even have to micro manage currently. One tactic has done me for 4 seasons with no changes. Only changes are to freekick takers etc.

And i love the decimal system, i hated the old single number system as you had no idea who was the better player as you would have things like a full team of 7's. And the fact more often then not you range from only 5.5 - 9.8 (getting a 10 is hard but doable) then if this was on old system there be only 5 tier levels of rating (6-10) which tells you nothing.

Wow. A decimal point causing such a fuss. It's been a while since I've heard such an odd complaint.

As for lack of consistency, welcome to football!

Shame you didn't like the game, but hey, we're all different. Imagine how boring the world would be if we all liked/disliked the same things.

Consistency. I wonder how many FM09 players playing as Man U with a chance to win 5 titles when saving then reloading to play Liverpool at home would have 'binned' their FM09 DVD because they lost 4-1 to Liverpool

The good thing about football is that it is not consistent / things happen that are unexpected

I personally am ok with the decimal point for players ratings but its horses and courses I guess

It just hit me. The OP is complaining that the entire game is too inconsistent. INCLUDING the press conferences.

That is quite funny, as one of the biggest points of criticism on FM09 so far has been that the press conferences are too repetitive and simply boring.

I like the decimal point, really useful.

As for a lack of consistency, it's all about giving your team time to gel and keeping morale up. Morale is really controlled by the right team talks. Encourage, sympathise, tell players you have faith in their ability, no pressure etc when morale is low, expect performances or a win when morale is superb and players are overconfident. Tell players they can win this when you're not the favourites. Don't be so harsh on players when away from home or against teams that are easily favourites.

A lot of people must miss it, but you can now check players motivation levels during matches (nervous, confident, playing okay, fired up, looking motivated etc) which really helps when it comes to team talks and substitutions.

When it comes to the team gelling, the assistant managers team talk feedback screen tells you how well the team has gelled. From there you can also see if you're getting team talks right.

I not having problems myself. Never had massive injury issues, never had consistancy issues (ie my current man utd game, im in season 4, and had something like 135 games in the league unbeaten), and i dont even have to micro manage currently. One tactic has done me for 4 seasons with no changes.

Try doing it with a blue square premier or league 2 side and then tell us what you think. :rolleyes:

I have no idea how people can dislike the decimal point. 5.6 and 6.4 both being '6' was very inexact, especially when a player would get 5-9 in 95% of matches. A poor system.

Why is it poor???

In that case you can argue the difference between 6.46 and 6.54 can't you?

You look in the papers and generally its marks out of ten in whole numbers. This is how it should be in the game.

As for consistency its typical of some to pull out ONE result to point out it should be the "norm".

According to the guides it's bad to keep changing your team around so much "they need time to gel" (which I find as useless a statement as "its your tactics"). And yet how much do Man U and other clubs rotate?

Bringing in a lot of players at once is detrimental is it? NOT ALWAYS look at Chelsea when they brought in a lot of players under Mourinho. They won the title 2 years running.

Why is it poor???

In that case you can argue the difference between 6.46 and 6.54 can't you?

You look in the papers and generally its marks out of ten in whole numbers. This is how it should be in the game.

Yes i tend to agree with this. How can anyone judge a player's performance to the 100th degree with such certainty? It's not realistic to know how well a player has performed with such minute accuracy. Considering we can only judge players stats on a scale of 1-20 then it doesn't make sense to start using a different, more precise scale for player performance.

If they wanted to change it then personally i would have preferred having .5 added, making the scale out of 20. And on top of that, simply make it an option in preferences so that we don't have to argue about what it should be and can simply choose a level we individually feel as useful/realistic.

I think adding the decimal point was a great addition, because now you can see exactly how well your players are performing. To be honest, a 7 before could have been a 6.5, which is average whereas a 7 implies they are playing well. I don't see how people can complain about a small addition, which improves our ability as managers to see exactly how well players are doing on the pitch. Villanation, you claim chinese whispers were the main reason people saw a decimal point that made him give up the game, well it was 50% of his reason for giving up. As for consistency in the game, Press Conferences have gone a long way to addressing that lack of continuity but I agree this could be built upon. Sorry to see you go!

Yes i tend to agree with this. How can anyone judge a player's performance to the 100th degree with such certainty? It's not realistic to know how well a player has performed with such minute accuracy. Considering we can only judge players stats on a scale of 1-20 then it doesn't make sense to start using a different, more precise scale for player performance.

If they wanted to change it then personally i would have preferred having .5 added, making the scale out of 20. And on top of that, simply make it an option in preferences so that we don't have to argue about what it should be and can simply choose a level we individually feel as useful/realistic.

That's a very good idea, making it optional. I like it!

Also, it annoys me to see posts where people complain about inconsistency. The inconsistency in fact should be there, if we want to talk about realism in this game! I saw a thread the other day where this guy says he played FM2006 for 100 seasons or so. He was posting some statistics, and I saw some very unrealistic statistics. People like original poster complain when:

1) their team keeps losing, they say there is nothing they can do to win, AI is cheating, the game is unrealistic

2) their team sometimes wins, sometimes loses, so, this time they say the game is inconsistent

These people like the game ONLY IF they win every game, and win every throphy. Obviously this game is not for them, and I hope the game will continue improving in the direction FM09 has headed.

i say good ridance to this moaning bar steward,

this is just like binning the game because you dont like the font type,

a game cant be everything you want it to be otherwise other people perhaps that welcomed the deciamal would be unhappy that it had been omitted.

Archived