Unfair (i think!) Job Status

About a 3rd of the way through the season i got offered the Spurs job (I was at Accrington) so i took it. They were really struggling at the time, bit like this season irl, and were 17th ijn the table, 1pt above the relegation zone and miles behind the top half of the table.

I've been there for just over 20 games now, have only lost 5, to Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and away at Man C, have breezed through to the last 8 of the Uefa Cup and into the FA Cup semis. More importantly i'm now up to 10th in the table and closing in on 9th & 8th.

However my job status is showing as 'Insecure' and every month the board say they're unhappy with me 'cos we should be challenging for Europe. Also all the players have 'Slt' next to them as they believe the club is underachieving and that they've lost faith in my ability.

All this is hardly my fault given where we were when i took over and i think i've done quite well.

Not happy, seems i'm getting the blame for the bad start they had. Is it a case where i just have to ride this season out (if possible) and hopefully the players will come back on side with me if we do ok next season?

Its unfortunate that you took the job over with them doing so badly but I'm afraid the players, board and fans won't be happy until their minimum expectations have been met. You sound like you've done a fantastic job since you have taken over. My advice is just ride out this season and prepare for the next season where you will again be expected to get European football. Winning matches will lift the players morale and once you start performing well in the league the players will start to have faith in you again.

Stick it out mate, by the sounds of things you'll do alright next season :thup:

I recently got offered the Zaragoza job in my game, I negotiated a delay of acceptance of the job till the and of the season, that way you get to start a new job with a clean slate and no hangover from your predecessor's inadequaces....as for your game right now it looks like you'll have to try and hang on in there, try to get a string of good results together and hope the job's still yours at the end of the season.

I'v started a few jobs with teams in the relegation zone, recently bristol city, got them to the play offs but that wasnt the automatic promotion my board wanted, just think it could do with a rework so that when you take a job with a team in the relegation zone then your task is to get them out and stabilize the team rather than the pre season expectations.

I got sacked at Watford in my game because of this, they were in last place in the Championship when I took over with 12 games remaining and I managed to escape relegation only losing two games in the process, but the board and players said they lost faith in my ability and all that garbage.

I got sacked at Watford in my game because of this, they were in last place in the Championship when I took over with 12 games remaining and I managed to escape relegation only losing two games in the process, but the board and players said they lost faith in my ability and all that garbage.

Its an absolute nightmare, could certainly do with reworking.

yes deffinatly agree, board expectations need to be recalculated when a new manager takes charge. i joined a blue square south team about nov/dec time and at that point in the board confidence it said that they wouldnt be judging me because id only just taken charge (or some message along them lines.) the team finished 2nd and i won in the playoffs, the fans where the unhappy that I had "only achived promotion."

Its like Tottenham IRL, RAmos messed it up and probably had expectations of breaking the top four, with a Euro Cup place minimum.

He got sacked, so now Redknapp has to stabilise the clubs position and get them back to being respectable.

This needs to be implemented IMO

Exactly.

Although redknapp's not getting the flak I am! My job status has now changed to 'stable' as i've got past the boards expectations in both the Uefa Cup and the FA Cup but the main problem is all my players have still lost confidence in me. I'm presuming this is not good!

If i get through and am still in charge next season does all the players concerns about me automatically reset or will they still resent me come pre-season for the start of the next campaign?

Nigel Pearson at Southampton last season? he came in near the end didn't he? I know he got them near the bottom as well but he also saved them too. He got fired. That's the closest thing I know of IRL. But yeah, it needs a bit of work I think

Archived