Managing Man City - Essentially Infinite Money?

Hey everyone, just a very quick question.

I bought FM09 a few days back, already approaching my third season with Man City and enjoying it a lot :) Just had a quick question about something I noticed. At the start of the second season, I had about 80m in the bank, but the board said I could spend up to 150m. I didn't have that much so tried not to spend anything close to that - but wondered that since I'm Man City, if I do go into debt will the board just pay it off and re-invest?

I'm a little fearful of trying, since I remember years ago having a Fiorentina team on an older CM with ~30m to spend, then when I paid out 10m on the first player I found I was hugely in debt and needed to start selling up :(

Thanks for your help

On the 1st of each month the Chairman seems to top up the clubs balance to keep it around the £30 million mark, so if you go into the red it will be sorted on the 1st of the next month.

On the 1st of each month the Chairman seems to top up the clubs balance to keep it around the £30 million mark, so if you go into the red it will be sorted on the 1st of the next month.

Sounds perfect ;)

Not had the best of luck so far, just missing out on the champions league two seasons running. Time to spend like a madman ;)

Sounds perfect ;)

Not had the best of luck so far, just missing out on the champions league two seasons running. Time to spend like a madman ;)

ah ive been tempted to try play as man city even though im united fan but im in to my wigan save to much

Sounds perfect ;)

Not advisable:p

Dont bring in too many players or the squad harmony will go arse up.

Just bring in a couple of good players and get them to gel and make more signings in january.

Its not about having the team of best players, the most successful teams are those with players that work well together.

It's amusing to constantly see AI Sparky spend stupid money on loads of players then struggle against relegation!

Whats more amusing and frustrating is the amount of talent in the first and reserve team, yet they never sell, and some people claim that they have gone into administration.

I can believe that.

Yeah you are probably right. I havent played this game since Championship manager nearly 10 years ago probably, can tell there are lots of differences and I still have tons to learn.

Bought four players - an entirely new midfield and another forward. Will be interesting to see how this goes ;)

- EDIT - this was a response to stevie, I messed up the quote

Well, I spent 90 million in the first transfer window and now the board doesn't seem to be willing to give me anymore money to spend. That's after adjusting my wage budget into the transfer budget.

I just started with 9.03 afresh.

Man City doesn't look like unlimited resources to me.

They arent unlimited transfer budget, but the chairman will always keep the balance around £30 mil, so you can spend your whole budget even if it is 3 times your balance.

Really? In my saved game, Manchester City is the new Arsenal. They literally bought every single star (Sakho) I want by outbidding me in a price war. I could meet with the transfer fees, but I am restricted by my own beliefs that I never spend anything more than 10-20% of the transfer budget I have (since Manchester United has unreal transfer budgets after a few seasons of good budgeting).

Ya, it puzzles me sometimes...

I saw in many people's games Mark Hughes is able to spend close to 150 million in the first season.

But as a human player it seems to restrict my spending power. I was given 78 million for the purposes, and then I have to stretch the wage budget into transfer budget, which only will give me 90 million at most.

I wonder why too. I thought it should have been a 200 million transfer budget at least... lol... (since Man City wanted to buy Kaka and so many other stars IRL)

I got 150m to spend in my second and third season :) So it comes eventually ;)

I'm suprised how difficult I'm finding this game compared to the old CM games. I've spent easily more than 200m now, got a very talented line up, and mid 3rd year still havent been able to break into the big four =/

I saw in many people's games Mark Hughes is able to spend close to 150 million in the first season.

But as a human player it seems to restrict my spending power. I was given 78 million for the purposes, and then I have to stretch the wage budget into transfer budget, which only will give me 90 million at most.

I wonder why too. I thought it should have been a 200 million transfer budget at least... lol... (since Man City wanted to buy Kaka and so many other stars IRL)

So your moaning that you've only got 78 million to spend, we're going into a global recession and your moaning about that. Some people these days:p

So your moaning that you've only got 78 million to spend, we're going into a global recession and your moaning about that. Some people these days:p

O well, someone has to spend more, so that money can flow easily. :)

Could it be that Mark Hughes has a better reputation than you? So, the chairmen may not trust you as much with his money... Not saying this is definate, but a possibility?

what if you bought 5 players for £0 but 40m after 1 appearence & 40m after 1 goal. If this would happen you would spend £400m, I think.

Would the chairman put enought cash in to cover this?

be funny to try, id so laugh if they didnt and the club died

Archived