FM06 - A retrospective

So the time has come where I've finally given up on retrieving my FM06 save game. I've had the out of memory error and despite the best efforts of the tech forum (thanks to Arjen Robben :thup:) it looks like I've played my last game. I have to admit this is pretty gutting since I can honestly say it's the best game I've ever played. So I thought I'd offer a few stats since I know some people love a good long term game.

In total I spent 92 seasons in charge of Man Utd, clocking up almost exactly 50 days of my life. This was punctuated by stints at some national sides, including a European Championship winning England team and World Cup winning Brazil side. The club had a lot of success but despite that I never got bored and the seasons that didn't end well inspired me to carry on. I ended at the ripe old age of 121 and as you can see some of the stats started to break. The best period had to be around the 30s/40s when a young striker called Jay Lock came through the ranks to make 735 league appearances and knock in 445 goals in the process. Once retired good old Jay became my assistant until he retired having spent over 45 years at the club. Legend :cool:

Anyway if anyone fancies knowing how their team is doing in the year 2097 feel free to ask. Please also feel free to share your FM06 memories, for my money it's the best version.It's nice to start with the smug fact that Liverpool only won the league twice in that time :D

Biggest thorn in my side nationally was Brazil ironically. I spent more time managing England but I lost the WC final to Brazil as well as a semi-final. Biggest problems continentally and domestically was mostly Chelsea, but also Villa and Arsenal.

I used my own 4-4-2 tactic that to be honest I didn't modify a great deal after the first 40 seasons. It had got to the point where I could buy players that I wanted for that particular tactic rather than edit it based around my playing squad. Having a strong front 2 was always pretty much crucial.

did barnsley ever amount to anything?

unbelievable that you stayed so long, furthest i've gone with one team was 2034 with barnsley and that only included 15 seasons of domination after working my up which you never had to do. How big is your ground, how much money do you have in the bank and have you had many unbeaten seasons or massive unbeaten runs in all competitions?

did barnsley ever amount to anything?

unbelievable that you stayed so long, furthest i've gone with one team was 2034 with barnsley and that only included 15 seasons of domination after working my up which you never had to do. How big is your ground, how much money do you have in the bank and have you had many unbeaten seasons or massive unbeaten runs in all competitions?

Barnsley got promoted and finished 17th in the PL in 2033, but are currently in League One. Stephen McPhail still holds the MOTM record with 13 in one season.

Old Trafford is 121450, average attendance is just below that. Got just under £2Bn in the bank after £118m was spent in the summer after a poor finish. Had just the one unbeaten season in 2066/67, in all competitions my record is 56 during the same period.

First off can I just say that that is quite the achievement. Well done :thup:

How are Leeds United doing after 92 seasons?

Your goal difference is mammoth :D

Leeds flirted around mid table with a few relegations here and there until winning consecutive PL titles in 2069 and 2070. Gradually they slipped down the league and ended up in the Championship for 4 years, having only recently been promoted back to the big time. 14th place finish last term and an FA Cup win in 2084 are recent highlights.

Who was the best managerial rival? Any players go on to become awesome managers?

I honestly can't remember, there were a couple of guys during the early days at Chelsea who were pretty tough. I remember players casing me more trouble, there were a few at Chelsea and Arsenal who always, always seemed to score against me.

A couple of my former players went on to forge decent managerial careers but nothing spectacular. Sven won the World Cup with England in 2006 and Jermaine Defoe had an unsuccessful stint as Liverpool boss; but they did win the FA Cup under Ade Boothroyd in 2028.

Chelsea have had their fair share of bosses (although Mourinho stayed until 2017) including Ade Boothroyd again, Steve McClaren, Micky Adams and Colin Cooper. Arsenal have an equally hilarious list of former managers including David Moyes, Claudio Ranieri, Peter Beardsley, Rio Ferdindand, Jermaine Defoe and everyone's favourite left-back Ashley Cole.

Did you get any "special" in game messages, say afte 5000 games in charge, or anything else?

I do remember said former player and assistant Jay Lock getting a nice message for his last PL game talking about the loyalty he'd shown to the club over 18 years. He captained the side for his last game at OT and signed off with a PL title and Champion's League victory 10 days later.

That's a great acheivement. Were there any lower league teams that made it up through the leagues and established themselves as a 'big' club?

Closest to that would be Crystal Palace, who for the most part have remained a PL team and were runners up 3 times in the 50's and won the FA Cup once in each of the following decades. Had my save game not failed, Stockport would have been about to enjoy their first season in the top flight.

Well done my friend, that is truly some commitment. Can I ask how Leicester got on?

Leicester have had a relatively unremarkable time, flitting between Championship and PL with a recent stint in League One. They did reach the CL group stages after a 4th place finish in 2082 but this affected their league form and subsequently finished 12th in the following season. Previous bosses include Emile Heskey and Wayne Bridge.

Truly outstanding commitment and achievement! My hat goes off to you for playing so many seasons!

While we're on the subject of how other teams got on.....how did Forest go on? Can't be any worse than what we've had to endure these past few seasons!

Leicester have had a relatively unremarkable time, flitting between Championship and PL with a recent stint in League One. They did reach the CL group stages after a 4th place finish in 2082 but this affected their league form and subsequently finished 12th in the following season. Previous bosses include Emile Heskey and Wayne Bridge.

Story of our lives!

Very impressive indeed :thup:

Truly great career. Also I notice that you haven't signed too many players considering how long your career went.

Must be funny to see an assman retire at a realistic age who was created as a regen in 2030 :eek:

Truly outstanding commitment and achievement! My hat goes off to you for playing so many seasons!

While we're on the subject of how other teams got on.....how did Forest go on? Can't be any worse than what we've had to endure these past few seasons!

Forest have enjoyed the last 90 odd years as a top half PL side. A few relegations here and there but 2 2nd place finishes and 2 successful FA Cup wins from 8 finals are the highlights (including about 5 against me!). Also 3 League Cup wins. Forest's biggest defeat came against me as well, 8-0 in 2089.

Previous managers include Stuart Pearce, Alan Pardew, Kevin Kilbane, Kevin Blackwell, Jermaine Defoe (he gets about) and Stewart Downing.

Just a suggestion - but it might be worth a try to save your monster-game.

Have you tried retiring your manager and creating a new one (on the same save file) to try and get past the point when it runs out of memory?

It sounds like an illogical solution, and I can't explain why it worked for me - but it's the only reason my FM05 save's still going.

It's gotta be worth a try - obviously you'll lose your manager stats, but anything's worth a go to try and drag yourself kicking and screaming into the 22nd century...

Great work - even if this does turn out to be the end...

One question I have...

How big's the file?

Wow! Amazing!

How are Doncaster doing?

Doncaster have been relatively unremarkable, sorry :D Highlights are 2 8th place finishes in the Championship and a League Cup final in 2073 (beaten by myself it seems). Also 2 LDV Vans Trophy wins.

Previous bosses include Nigel Pearson and Steve Parkin.

Were there any smaller teams in Europe who got regular success in the Champions League?

From memory I couldn't tell you, looking at the stats there was a Blackburn vs Monaco final in 2026, in fact that was Blackburn's second after triumph 2 years before. Mostly the usual suspects tbh. Even the UEFA Cup doesn't throw up too many surprises, except for perhaps Coventry and Wolves reaching finals in the early years.

Doncaster have been relatively unremarkable, sorry :D Highlights are 2 8th place finishes in the Championship and a League Cup final in 2073 (beaten by myself it seems). Also 2 LDV Vans Trophy wins.

Previous bosses include Nigel Pearson and Steve Parkin.

Kool cheers :D

Did you end up dominating the league or did you find it hard to win title after title?

Have you tried retiring your manager and creating a new one (on the same save file) to try and get past the point when it runs out of memory?

It sounds like an illogical solution, and I can't explain why it worked for me - but it's the only reason my FM05 save's still going.

It's gotta be worth a try - obviously you'll lose your manager stats, but anything's worth a go to try and drag yourself kicking and screaming into the 22nd century...

Great work - even if this does turn out to be the end...

One question I have...

How big's the file?

To be honest I never thought of that :D. I tried holidaying but that made no difference, so I might give it a go. The save game hasn't changed in size in ages, 600mb. I do have a 'cleaned' one that is around 200mb.

Kool cheers :D

Did you end up dominating the league or did you find it hard to win title after title?

As you can see I did well in the league but every year it was a case of trying to keep up. I'm not going to say it was a real struggle but I didn't spend stupid amounts of money, it was only on very rare occasions that I spent big bucks. The most satisfying thing was taking prospects and making them into proper players, be it at my club or somewhere else.

Becks, how did my beloved Plymouth Argyle get on in your save? Thanks mate!

Argyle managed a Championship title win in 2053 but went straight back down the next year. 5 LDV Vans trophies from 8 finals are the only other highlights. Their time was split mostly between the Championship and League One.

Previous bosses include Steve Cotterill and Daniel Agger (wtf?).

Well done on a remarkable achievement. I was wondering, in all those years did Celtic ever manage a champions league win, or even a European final?

Celtic never reached a European final. From memory they never did well in Europe.

Wow, well done mate!

Come on then, how badly are my Oldham doing?

And is Wenger still going? :D

The Latics yo-yoed between the PL and the Championship around 2010 (reaching the League Cup final in 2009) but spent most of their time in League Two. In fact their highest-scoring game was a 5-3 win against me in 2010. A handful of seasons in the Conference were the low points, 2 FA Trophies and an LDV Vans win are the other highlights.

Previous bosses include Andy Ritchie and Steve McMahon.

Arsene Wenger was sacked in 2010 despite a CL and FA Cup winning season in 2007. Difficult to track him from there.

Argyle managed a Championship title win in 2053 but went straight back down the next year. 5 LDV Vans trophies from 8 finals are the only other highlights. Their time was split mostly between the Championship and League One.

Previous bosses include Steve Cotterill and Daniel Agger (wtf?).

Cheers Becks! I'm looking forward to Premier League football in 2053!! :thup:

Just tried that, didn't work. Worth a go though :(

how did peterborough united get on mate

by the way congrats on your very impressive achievements

The mighty Peterborough have got the most boring history of the lot :D

Up and down between League One and Two until 2078 when they won League One and have stayed in the Championship ever since. No interesting managers, no other trophies and fairly unremarkable records. Best I could find was them spending nothing on transfers for four years.

The mighty Peterborough have got the most boring history of the lot :D

Up and down between League One and Two until 2078 when they won League One and have stayed in the Championship ever since. No interesting managers, no other trophies and fairly unremarkable records. Best I could find was them spending nothing on transfers for four years.

hahah sounds like us.... well apart from the last 2 years anyway

thanks mate

How did Cheltenham turn out?

And what became of Stevie G and Liverpool?

Cheltenham spent most of their time in the Conference but did manage to get to the PL via the playoffs in 2087 and finished dead last the next year. 5 FA Trophies and an LDV Vans trophy round out the highlights.

Stevie G la was sent to prison for actual bodily harm in March 2009 and never returned as the same player. Hang on let me check that.

Rafa was sacked in 2006 after a trophyless season and several rants. Ah, that's where Arsene Wenger went, he spent 5 years at Liverpool before retiring. Difficult to find anything on Stevie G which does lead me to believe he was actually imprisoned. Liverpool won 2 league titles and 2 European Cups with several FA and League Cups. They also suffered the utter indignity of relegation on two separate occasions but managed to fluke their way back up both times.

Their current manager was a prospect of mine from 2057 who spent 12 years at the club. Since his defection he has not only been disowned by Man Utd fans but has also suffered numerous burglaries.

Archived