Is there a trick to signing players??

I took over reading who had been relegated. We went on to win the Coca Cola league and get promoted back into premier. In the off season the board granted me $46m and I decided to purchase a really good MD, DC & a couple of hot prospect ST's from Liverpool. I got the young guys easy but every other player I tried to transfer refused. One player was valued at $11.5m and my final offer was $41m and they refused. The start of the year my odds on staying in the Premier division were 150-1, I have signed 3 hot prospects all aged 17, but nothing else. Every team refuses my offers...

Is there a trick?? My wages are very low so I have plenty to throw at the player, its just the initial transfer fee which the computer just refuses to accept.

I took over reading who had been relegated. We went on to win the Coca Cola league and get promoted back into premier. In the off season the board granted me $46m and I decided to purchase a really good MD, DC & a couple of hot prospect ST's from Liverpool. I got the young guys easy but every other player I tried to transfer refused. One player was valued at $11.5m and my final offer was $41m and they refused. The start of the year my odds on staying in the Premier division were 150-1, I have signed 3 hot prospects all aged 17, but nothing else. Every team refuses my offers...

Is there a trick?? My wages are very low so I have plenty to throw at the player, its just the initial transfer fee which the computer just refuses to accept.

im not sure if you were talking about the players refusing or the clubs refusing (i was leaning towards this one). I think its true that clubs are not prepared to sell players for realistic amounts of money, however they will offer to buy your players for low prices which is kind of anoying. You can't really do anything about it though so i find its better to just sign youngsters for cheap amounts and then they will eventually come good. You have already done this icon_smile.gif

other than that, try looking at transfer listed players since clubs will always want to get rid of them and even a few players who are out of contract will come to you and you can occasionaly get a real good player.

There is a trick to signing players really when you think about it, I pulled off Alves for my Newcastle team (he was by far the highest valued player available, by some 16 million on the screen) because he was unhappy at Sevilla.

Same with Van der Vaart, I had been following him all season and he wasn't interested, he became unsettled at HSV and I pounced and signed him.

It's not really a trick, but its the way of signing players far above your reaches in normal circumstances (although those 2 above did cost me almost 70 million).

Don't try and buy players that are "indespensible" or "important" to their team, as generally the club won't sell. Look for players listed as a backup instead, or players that are unhappy. Often, a club will sign too many players in the same position and end up with rather good backups - have picked up players such as adebayor, baines, crouch, alan smith for very little by simply waiting for them to be moved down in squad status after not playing for half a season.

Cheers for the info...

I originally only wanted to sign one, maybe two big name players to bolster my middle. When they all refused I thought grab some hot prospects for a couple of million and build them up. My problem was I tried to get the best players from the top 4 Premier teams and of course they dont want to give them up. Fair enough...I would do the same.

So I have 3 hot prospects all playing as first pick or coming on as replacements, all 17 years old, all from Liverpool or Arsenal..hoping great things from them. I decided to lower my standards and recruit players a fraction above what I already have instead of going for the top players. I dont want to use FMM I want to get there on my own merits.

I will look into players who are unhappy cheers PS. Even though our odds are 150-1 Iam sitting in 6th place with W4-D0-L3...The 3 loses were Liverpool 2-1, Arsenal 1-0 & one other team who I cant remember, but they were sitting 4th. We played Chelsea who are 3rd and won 4-0...so I think if my up-and-comers, with a slight increase in my existing players can compete with the top 4 teams I can stay in the premier division and try and increase my reputation.

get in some (2 or 3) solid players aged 27-32 who are not current 1st teamers for their clubs. You will be looking for central players. Make sure they have good mental stats (determination, workrate and all of the middle column really), are good at jumping and heading, and are strong. Hopefully you should be able to get some surprisingly cheap (go in with low offers and don't go too high). You may be able to play good football at the beginning of the season, but you will need the option of really scrapping when your youngsters get knackered come march.

Of course, if you already have players with steel and experience in your team, feel free to ignore the above. Just make sure you have at least one tall and strong striker in your team.

Also, have a look around eastern europe (those that are EU countries) and scandinavia to see if there are good-looking prospects there, but make sure to offer very little money for them. I'm a big fan of hungarian players, both IRL and on FM. Everyone will develop their own preferences though.

Archived