I'm TWELVE points clear!!! (And I think I'm going to have a heart attack)

(I'm not putting this in another forum because I'm not naming players, tactics or anything else)

For anybody who knows me on the forums, you'll know that I'm about as far-removed from successful as Tom Cruise is from Sane.

Anyway, I started a new game as QPR and quit towards the end of the 1st season.

Holidayed to June, Middlesbrough were relegated from the Prem and I duly took over, thinking that with a fairly strong team I could have a "Good Go"...

Well, it's now February 2009 on my game and we are simply flying in the league; Top of the Championship, TWELVE points clear of Sunderland, 33 games played and on a 10-game unbeaten streak. The only blemish in those ten games is a tough 1-1 draw away to Sheff Utd.

The board just want promotion to the Prem and are currently "Delighted we are on course to Win the Coca-Cola Championship" (although, the confidence being what it is; they are hugely disappointed I never beat Spurs away to reach the League Cup 5th round!!!).

We are banging in the goals, hammering all before us in the league and I never even experienced that horrible thing I always do: 10 games into the season and it all falls apart (Chopper will understand, and probably add a icon_wink.gif to that one!).

I'm just writing this to say that I LOVE FM08 and this game is simply reinforcing my love for it.

As I've said before, I've been anything but successful on any FM (Not for the want of trying) but this particular game just feels "solid", I'm going into every game feeling totally confident, an odd feeling I've never experienced before.

Sorry if this thread is a little out of place but I'm giggling like an excited schoolgirl here... icon_biggrin.gif

(I'm not putting this in another forum because I'm not naming players, tactics or anything else)

For anybody who knows me on the forums, you'll know that I'm about as far-removed from successful as Tom Cruise is from Sane.

Anyway, I started a new game as QPR and quit towards the end of the 1st season.

Holidayed to June, Middlesbrough were relegated from the Prem and I duly took over, thinking that with a fairly strong team I could have a "Good Go"...

Well, it's now February 2009 on my game and we are simply flying in the league; Top of the Championship, TWELVE points clear of Sunderland, 33 games played and on a 10-game unbeaten streak. The only blemish in those ten games is a tough 1-1 draw away to Sheff Utd.

The board just want promotion to the Prem and are currently "Delighted we are on course to Win the Coca-Cola Championship" (although, the confidence being what it is; they are hugely disappointed I never beat Spurs away to reach the League Cup 5th round!!!).

We are banging in the goals, hammering all before us in the league and I never even experienced that horrible thing I always do: 10 games into the season and it all falls apart (Chopper will understand, and probably add a icon_wink.gif to that one!).

I'm just writing this to say that I LOVE FM08 and this game is simply reinforcing my love for it.

As I've said before, I've been anything but successful on any FM (Not for the want of trying) but this particular game just feels "solid", I'm going into every game feeling totally confident, an odd feeling I've never experienced before.

Sorry if this thread is a little out of place but I'm giggling like an excited schoolgirl here... icon_biggrin.gif

Well done icon_biggrin.gif! I've read some of your posts but i've never posted on them threads. I am like you. I recently started a new game which was going to be my Career and am in charge of a Brazilian second division team. I took charge while they were on a 7 match-unbeaten streak and my team are playing great football. FM 08, even with all the bugs, is the best sport sim money can buy.

Win that title starrman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">win that title starrman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, I hope so, I've never won anything.

This would be the making of me.

Seem ridiculous that a simple game could mean so much, but its football after all....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

12 points clear huh. Just make sure you don't make any "I'd LOVE IT if we beat them" style comments icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VB, you wouldn't try and skud me would you?

Played another few matches, DWLWW.

8 points clear at the mo with 8 matches to play.

It's "Squeaky Bum Time"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lets hope your season stays on track icon_smile.gif may i ask with boro had sold downing ?? because when i team goes down i.e west ham went down in a season for me .. and i tried signing ashton on the cheap but even when the hammers accepted my £5,000,000 bid .. he said it to much of a step down .. i finshed 4th the season before and won the league cup icon_redface.gif anyway just asking and best of luck pal

Yeah F.A, Downing was gone just before I joined.

I've also since sold Tuncay, Rochemback and Some other big player who I'm too drunk to rememeber.

But they all felt they needeed to leave to improve themselves or something like that.

(As soon as a player says that I ALWAYS sell him as I'm only interested in players who WANT to play for me)

I bought Andreiy Arshavin (Who's been a revelation) and Olivier Kapo (ditto) to fill the gaps.

As well as Jerzey Dudek, Dan Gosling and K. Lee (Man Yoo - Loan).

Update:

6 games left, we're 9 points clear of Sunderland.

We lost 1 and drew 1, Sunderland cut my lead to 4 points (panic panic panic!!) then we played them at The Riverside and for some bizarre, inexplicable reason my team actually BEAT a RIVAL!! 2-0.

They drew their next game and we won ours 3-0.

It's so tense now, I swear I can't even watch injury time in any tight match (always seems to be 5/6 minutes, even with no injuries!!).

I'm so close and I just can't bear it.

All the best.

Reminds me off a season I played that went down to the last day. Both the AI and I were tied on 95 points but I beat them on goal difference. I was quizzed on why I was happy for a change when I went back to work the enxt day.

I remember in my 6th season at Kilmarnock in FM07, having won didly squat in the previous 5 years (but achieved good solid league finishes each year), we looked supreme heading into the New Year and established a 10 point lead over a previously invincible looking Celtic team.

I was getting nervous and with good reason. We bottled it completely. There were still a good number of games left as Celtic chewed up our lead like they were just going for a Sunday stroll. To our credit we fought back bravely to at least set up a final day showdown, but since it was away at Celtic Park and we had to win it looked unlikely and we lost 3-0.

Two years later though we again opened up a 10 point lead and this time kept opening it until it hit 18 points with 5 to play icon_smile.gif I'm sure you can do the latter instead of the former icon14.gif

Won 3 on the trot (after the last update where I had 6 games left), as did Sunderland so I was nine points clear with 3 to play.

The amazing this is that even then I STILL wasn't confident of winning the league.

But we sauntered through our 44th game 3-0 to settle any nerves.

My 1st EVER TITLE on ANY of the FM's.

I feel like this:

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gif

Well, actually, that doesn't even come close. I'm over the moon, it's amazing a simple game can mean SO much to someone.

Fantastic!!

Yippety!

Bippety!

......Happiness.... icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys.

Just a side note - have a look at my record there; 115 goals scored, over 100 points earned as well (with two "token" games to play).

We were simply brilliant this season.

And get this - I've been recently linked with the following jobs:

(H.F = Hot Favorite for the post)

Bayern Munich, Marseille (H.F), Bordeaux (H.F), Real Madrid, Barcelona (really) and a couple of other lesser teams but this one really got me:

David Moyes has been sacked from his position as manager of Everton.

A few managers have been blah-de-blah-de-blah..

But the Hot Favorite remains Middlesbrough manager Rikki Starrett who could be tempted... yadda yadda yadda.

No thank you, I'd rather have a pineapple inserted violently into my rectum.

lol on the last post icon_smile.gif That feature annoys me too and they never offer me the job anyway!

Congrats on the title, especially winning so comfortably. Good luck on getting players in and for next season. Don't be too emotional with your old players when it comes to overhauling your squad!!

Grats! Good stuff. Always nice to win the title, especially for the first time icon_biggrin.gif

I'd recommend trying Marseille. The Spanish league issues are a pain, but France is surprisingly fun.

My favourite managerial rumour had me favourite for the job I'd only just resigned from, so at least you haven't got that issue.

And it depends which way up your pinapple is icon_biggrin.gif

Hilarious.

Considering my favorite team are Liverpool, I can't really see the Goodison Faithful taking me to their hearts.

Anyway, after my couple of loanees returned to their club and I released the really old guys, I had nothing even approaching a strong team as we were down to the bare bones, and of the 15 or so players I did have left (notice how I keep using past-tense) only about 3 of them were premiership quality.

So I have a crap team to try and survive in the Premiership, not much of a transfer budget considering I need practically a complete new squad and I can't even attract Clubless Charles Itandje GK to the club.

Times are tough, and I have the manager description "Talented Manager" and a "World Class" reputation, surely I'm too good for Middlesbrough? Have I taken them as far as I can? (Even though it's only been one season)....

Apparently So...

I know deep down this is probably a mistake to accept the job, but the call is just too strong and I may not get another chance on this save, not for a long long time.

I was really disappointed by 'Boro's terrible, wafer-thin squad and half their players actually wanted to leave for a bigger club, I just can't be assed with that nonsense.

This is the team where I feel at home, I have a large transfer budget, a HUGE squad (Including Thierry Henry! and Vicente - two players I always coveted when I was Liverpool manager) and it's the only club I'm passionate about.

Sure it'll probably go tits-up in the end, but rather than starting a new game with Liverpool, I went elsewhere for the first time, and Liverpool came to me.

I think it's a sign.

icon_biggrin.gif

@ route1 - I know, what were the chances? I thought in order to take the Liverpool job I'd have to retire and add new player, but no, Gillett came along and said I was the man for the job.

Rafa had left Liverpool to take on the Spanish National Team, he wasn't sacked.

The thing is - my game is only two seasons old, yet my reputation is "World Class" having only won the English Championship once.

But my record of wins (70%) + Goals scored (120) for matches played (approx. 50) is pretty impressive in any league.

I guess that swung it for me...

icon_biggrin.gif

Starr_Man's giggling like a little schoolgirl while peter-evo is **touching wood**...... oooooooh matron! icon_wink.gif

Congrats Starr_Man - you see now how sometimes its better to start a bit lower down, manage expectations (your own as much as the boards...!) and then build slowly. The real challenge(s) will be next season and the seasons to come. If you're in the relegation zone at Christmas....DON'T QUIT....stick it out, and if you stay up, you'll feel the same achievement as winning the Championship!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Law_Man:

Starr_Man's giggling like a little schoolgirl while peter-evo is **touching wood**...... oooooooh matron! icon_wink.gif

Congrats Starr_Man - you see now how sometimes its better to start a bit lower down, manage expectations (your own as much as the boards...!) and then build slowly. The real challenge(s) will be next season and the seasons to come. If you're in the relegation zone at Christmas....DON'T QUIT....stick it out, and if you stay up, you'll feel the same achievement as winning the Championship! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I'll still be in a job come Christmas if I'm in the Relegation zone with Liverpool (Didn't you notice I've been head-hunted by them?)...

PS -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Starr_Man's giggling like a little schoolgirl while peter-evo is **touching wood**...... oooooooh matron! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Last night Werder Bremen ended my 54 league game unbeaten run, and ended my 30 game winning streak. Ah well... I still won the league by almost 30 points, W32, D1, L1! I think that has to be my best league achievement ever! (Albeit as the clear favourites).

The other real joy I had was at Nottingham Forest. I was bottom of the table with about 12 points at Christmas (3rd season, in Prem). I bounced back to 17th on the last day of the season and staved off relegation. In fact my form was so good I carried it forward to next season and snatched 2nd in the league. The glory just rolled in after that...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukekarts:

Last night Werder Bremen ended my 54 league game unbeaten run, and ended my 30 game winning streak. Ah well... I still won the league by almost 30 points, W32, D1, L1! I think that has to be my best league achievement ever! (Albeit as the clear favourites).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last night my Werder Bremen team played Bayern Munich off the park in a do or die clash in Bremen. With 60% possession, 82% pass completion and ~17 shots it was the most dominant and perfect 1-0 I've ever had. Alas the nip and tuck ebb and flow between ourselves and Bayern that had lasted almost the entire season had taken a (probably) fatal turn for us when we lost the week before.

For the first time all season there was daylight (6 points) and whilst that is now down to 3 points games are running out fast and Bayern slipped straight back into their previous invincibility and, crucially, have a vastly superior goal difference so that even if they lose one of their remaining 4 games and we win the lot it still isn't enough icon_frown.gif Ah well, it has been one of the most exciting seasons I've ever had in any division and my first full season in Germany and I'm loving it!

Well I'm in enjoying the Bundesliga too. I'm in season 3, and doing well. I have a largely unchanged squad, with only a few additions to the first team, plus a lot of youngsters.

My only problem is the lack of quality in the league is alarming. Most other teams like Schalke, Werder etc have lost all their best players, all the clubs seem skint, and don't ever buy in any quality.

The only positives are that Stuttgart are still filled with quality and Dortmund are a re-emerging power, but I don't have any opposition at the moment.

I'm considering jumping ship to Stuttgart should the opportunity to arise...

Have I come back to the wrong forum. I go away for 4 days and look what happens!

wwfan's a moderator (excellent choice) and Star_Man's actually won a title?!?

It's like the twilight zone in here icon_smile.gif

So after a successful season you feel you're up to finally winning something with the Pool? Good luck, lets hope you don't do a Steve Maclaren, i.e do alright with 'Boro but show just how rubbish you really are when given a bunch of good players to manage icon_wink.gif

I took over the Liverpool job on 26th June (in the game) and it's now only 1st July, I've spent the last 6 games-days trying deperately to arrange friendlies with no joy.

Why the Blooby Hell won't teams accept friendlies?

I checked on teams fixture lists before offering, so I know they've no game close to the date I suggest but, no joy.

It's starting to freak me out, I need some friendlies.

Any tips on arranging friendlies?

(I've already tried re-setting Ass Man options to "Arranges Freindly matches" but it's too late for that - that'll only work at the beginning of a season if it's already set that way)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

Have I come back to the wrong forum. I go away for 4 days and look what happens!

wwfan's a moderator (excellent choice) and Star_Man's actually won a title?!?

It's like the twilight zone in here icon_smile.gif

So after a successful season you feel you're up to finally winning something with the Pool? Good luck, lets hope you don't do a Steve Maclaren, i.e do alright with 'Boro but show just how rubbish you really are when given a bunch of good players to manage icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very Funny Chopper.

icon_biggrin.gif

If all else fails just arrange friendlies with your reserves to get the match practice needed before the season starts.

Or, when attempting to arrange friendlies with other teams select the team you want to play against before you select the date you want to play on. When you select the team first it then shows you what days they'll be available to play. I usually try and pick a day in the middle of a block of available days to ensure it's not too close to anything else they're doing.

Being a big club like Liverpool you might get more joy trying to arrange away friendlies as the smaller teams will be looking to make some money out of it. If you're trying to arrange home friendlies then offer the team 50% of the expected income from the friendly.

Not putting a dampener on your story or anything, but i was just wandering what reputation you started as?

Cos getting to World Class by 2009 is a stupidly amazing achievement if it was automatic/sunday league!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Serious question </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same as above, do you ever have any constructive to say about anything on this forum?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Serious question </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same as above, do you ever have any constructive to say about anything on this forum? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not usually. Is that a problem?

I was just curious anyhow.

Archived