Red card for no reason?

Maybe he shouted something at the ref, but you couldn't hear it.

Haha, I think I like this explanation the best ;)

This happened in the 37th minute, the player had not even been called for a foul previously, and diving is never a straight red, neither is handling the ball as an attacker. The only two possibilities I can think of are a) an opposing player put in a tackle, and then my player went in two-footed in an attempt to win the ball back, but there was nothing in the 3D view, nor the commentary, nor the match report, to indicate such an occurrence, or b) it's a bug, but this is the first time it has happened, so it may just be a fluke, and I don't want to be one of those "it didn't go my way, so it must be a bug," types, I just wanted a reason for the red card, which neither complaining, nor reporting it as a bug would do much of anything imo, especially since it hasn't shown up in the forums previously, at least as far as I could tell, so I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to one of those mysteries of FM, and carry on.

Cheers! :thup:

diving is never a straight red, neither is handling the ball as an attacker.

Never is a bit of a strong word, especially when it comes to handball. If Henry handled it off of the line, his teams goal line, would you expect he not be dismissed because he's an attacker? ;)

I would expect him to not be dismissed as he is ex-arsenal, and you know what half the prem refs are like now adays.

(If your username is your real name, your location is not a joke and you ref in the prem league, you must be good as I have never heard of you! Wouldn't mind you at White Hart Lane more often if this is the case!)

Never is a bit of a strong word, especially when it comes to handball. If Henry handled it off of the line, his teams goal line, would you expect he not be dismissed because he's an attacker? ;)

Sorry, I should have been more clear - when I said "never as an attacker," I meant when in possession of the ball, in the opposing penalty area.

I would absolutely expect a striker, or anyone for that matter, to be red carded for illegally handling the ball to clear it off their line when defending, but it would be at worst a yellow if they were to use their hand to control the ball when in possession in the opposition area. In that case, I would say never.

And as for the bias against Arsenal, as a fan of football (hence a fan of Arsenal's play, and to a lesser extent, an 'Arsenal fan,'), I think that every fan, at one time or another, has a claim of "bias" against their team, but in reality, that is seldom the case.

That is not to say that the mind games that many managers (SAF, to name one *wink wink*) to unsettle referees, in an attempt to get more sympathetic 50-50 calls in the upcoming game, do not exist. On the contrary, they are extremely effective. Done with my 2 cents ;)

I would expect him to not be dismissed as he is ex-arsenal, and you know what half the prem refs are like now adays.

(If your username is your real name, your location is not a joke and you ref in the prem league, you must be good as I have never heard of you! Wouldn't mind you at White Hart Lane more often if this is the case!)

yet another miserable, bitter, spurs fan more interested in arsenals demise than how spurs do

In the name of curiosity, could you upload the pkm to rapidshare or something please? I wouldn't mind having a look at this

I would love to, but I have since replayed this game several times over to try to see the effects of different tactics, so I have nothing to upload :( (Sorry if this makes my story less believable). In general, I don't like to download tactics and enjoy "figuring out" the match engine, when to use what tactics and players, etc., which I had been able to do for 9.0.2, but I am having a difficult time with the new patch, unfortunately.

As a possible explanation, I have been watching it on 3D, and there have been several instances where fouls have been called against players (both my team and the AI) without anything being visibly amiss, so perhaps not all fouls are displayed? I was just shocked to have my player red-carded when attacking in the opposing area without any apparent reason in the 3D match nor in the commentary.

Nothing, unfortunately. The normal "foul" box that pops up during the tv view did not even appear, the commentary merely stated "Player X is being called over by the referee," so I was of course thinking "ok, not sure what happened, but there was nothing on toward, probably just some glitch, he'll get a talking to, and that will be it," and then it said "red card," and that was that.

The fouls count in the match stats did not even change. Must have just been a random fluke. The fact that nobody else has had this happen to them makes me think that it is just something that never happens. Can't expect SI to catch everything, though, right? Not really sure how one could even test for that. Oh well, on we go, c'mon you might Bishop's Stortford Blues! Haha ;)

Thanks all for the interest and help! Cheers! :)

Archived