I love FM09 but.....

I love FM09 but please please please in FM2010 can they stop chairman selling your players, its so annoying!

I play with Tranmere in my game ( patch to 9.3) and signed a player off Rangers for 700k in the summer, I have £4.6m balance and have a decent wage level left in my budget

The jan transfer window comes and the board sell him for £1m to West Ham, its ridiculous and so frustrating when you try and build a team in the lower leagues

I dont think it is real though, in real life a board would sanction a bit of £700k only to sell him for £1m a few months later, its annoying because I could have probably negotiated a better bid for him myself - with sell ons etc

Its not like we are skint in the game, we have good finances, if we were losing mass amounts of money etc then I would agree its one of those things

it's Real Life Mate

I'm all for It anything that can make the game more real

FM strives to be as realistic as possible, but this goes too far. Realism is part of the fun, but the moment it becomes detrimental to the fun, we have to say no. I hate this "feature" and wish they'd do away with it. The thing is, it's a game and, when we play games, we need to be in control, or at least to have some control over things that affect us. To render us completely powerless like this is just not right.

FM strives to be as realistic as possible, but this goes too far. Realism is part of the fun, but the moment it becomes detrimental to the fun, we have to say no. I hate this "feature" and wish they'd do away with it. The thing is, it's a game and, when we play games, we need to be in control, or at least to have some control over things that affect us. To render us completely powerless like this is just not right.

Dear Mike,

Isn't sitting hopelessly in your dug out while your team plays like **** the very principle of football management?

:D

Seriously though, I get your point. Realism is nice if it adds to the experience. But as soon as it degrades the fun, you have to question yourself what's more important, realism or fun? And since this is a game, I'd say fun.

That's why I'm always ****ing myself with laughter every time I read a review about a shooting game. They're always saying: "This game is so realistic, it's almost real! Best shooting game ever!" I guess the reviewers find bullet wounds very pleasing then…

Dear Mike,

Isn't sitting hopelessly in your dug out while your team plays like **** the very principle of football management?

If so, consider me well versed in the very principle of football management! :D

i am sure a few months back someone said on here how you could get round this feature.....i may be wrong (as it has never happened to me yet), but i think if you put the players value at £0, then the directors or board do not sell them, as they aren't going to sell anyone with a value of £0....something like that anyway.

Maybe someone else can verify this.

I think this feature is semi-realistic. I feel that you should be able to negotiate a higher price but for a lower league club there will always be a point when the chairman says "I can't refuse that!" and accept an offer. I agree that £300K after a couple of months is unrealistic but had the offer been £1.2M or higher then it should be accepted that the chairman would intervene.

I love FM09 but please please please in FM2010 can they stop chairman selling your players, its so annoying!

I play with Tranmere in my game ( patch to 9.3) and signed a player off Rangers for 700k in the summer, I have £4.6m balance and have a decent wage level left in my budget

The jan transfer window comes and the board sell him for £1m to West Ham, its ridiculous and so frustrating when you try and build a team in the lower leagues

Its a common occurance in the running of a lower league club. I don't think it is unrealistic at all. If anything it adds more realism in dealing with the everyday issues that you encounter with a lower league club.

Also, even if you have a decent balance, the amount you have being spent on transfers over the next 12-18-24 months also affects the decision of the chairman.

In The Netherlands this happens all the time. Because Dutch clubs aren't the richest in the world, every time they have a gem of a player at the club the boards try to sell them ASAP, leaving a lot of managers frustrated. Enough examples. Salomon Kalou, Robin van Persie, Ryan Babel, Royston Drenthe, Collins John, Marceo Rigters, Glenn Loovens, Arjen Robben, to name but a few. None of them left with the approval of the manager.

I think a great addition would be the opportunity for manager-board interaction, so that you can speak with your board and either plead with them to hang on to the player, or discuss possible transfer targets as replacements.

If the board say "Sorry, the sale of this player is inevitable," then I think it would make it much less frustrating, and possibly even increase the realism, if you could discuss an acceptable value for the player with the board, especially with regards to your potential replacements. That way, instead of a flat fee of 1M for a promising young player that is established in your first team, you can tack on some performance-related add-ons and percentage of future transfers, and not miss out on further profits.

I believe that even when boards are "forced" to sell players in real life, they don't merely agree a flat fee, and certainly not without at least letting the manager know ahead of time. Let me rephrase that - no competent board would do such a thing. ;)

I agree to a certain extent but I do however like this feature.

I've never had it where they have sold a player for a silly amount or whatever as some people complain about so I guess I'm lucky. As long as the feature works well it should stay. The next addition should be something like discussing your displeasure with the chairman, like stated above. That also help to give you some sort of relationship with the board - which is something I'd love to see more of.

This feature does need to be sorted out to work a bit better. In my Crewe game it worked very well though I bought a player for 10k and a season later he was sold for £2.5 million this makes perfect sense but I have seen alot of people complain and a 300k profit after a few months is stupid.

The other point I should have made is at the beginning of the Jan transfer window I recieved a bid for Jack Tuyp of £1.6m, I was able to negotiate this deal and sell him which is why I coulsnt understand the board accepting a bid of £1m for a player who is younger and doing better than Tuyp

In my first season as Leyton orient, and ive managed to get myself into a position where its looking likely i could get promoted, just reached january 13th, About to lose my leading goal scorer, my 1st and 2nd leading assist midfielders(one is also my captain), My right back, and quite possibly my other striker as ive just now received a news message saying so and so is deemed to be interested in said player, so basically my season has been sabotaged because barry hearn is a complete ****.

I enjoy realism in games to an extent, perhaps a feature where we could interact with the board, and issue ultimatum's regarding player sales, such as "Sell my players and im quitting".

This is just another annoyance in the latest installment of Injury media manager 2009

Cause frankly the amount of injuries for teams in this game is a joke, and the media questions are laughable too "You appear decisive on the issue.."

Well thats my rant over with, does anyone know a way/solution to stop players being sold by chairman? :)

Archived