Who rests players?

Does anyone use the rest players function, where you select them to rest for a few days. (not the one you use to lie to players so they don't get the hump when you drop them),

I've never used to and was wondering what sort of difference it might make vis a vis recovery times, match fitness and player development

Never used to but just gone through a 3 month spell with quite a lot of injuries so have rested key players between games when I had two games a week.

It allowed me to play these players twice a week despite their stamina being less than ideal without having to change my tactics.

I guess the downside is less training but as these players were older and close to potential I thought it would be worth the trade off.

I never use it either, just read someone from SI saying that the AI probably uses it so thats why they can keep a more consistent line-up

How do you keep a consistent line-up by resting people?

I do it sometimes when I play too many cup games in between league games. I sometimes give them a day off after a Champions League game for example.

We at Feyenoord used to have a coach (Erwin Koeman), who would give the squad a day off from training if they lost a game they should have won…

Does anyone use the rest players function, where you select them to rest for a few days. (not the one you use to lie to players so they don't get the hump when you drop them),

I've never used to and was wondering what sort of difference it might make vis a vis recovery times, match fitness and player development

This works well if you have a heavy load training schedule but after a match you rest your players for 1 day. Seems to get 99-100% fitness for every game.

Oh, training; I also thought the issue was about telling players you werew resting them ahead of dropping them for poor form.

Anyway, here's a warning that I picked up from the top training discussion: in England the training schedule is fixed for one week, beginning Sunday. That means if you rest a player on Sunday, he'll rest for a week, not 1 or 3 days! So make sure the rest day is any other than Sunday.

Yes I use it on occasions. Some times in LLM the games come thick and fast, for instance their's the BSS League games, the Conference League cup, The FA Vase and the FA Cup.

I cant afford a big squad and if I play a top side where I set high closing down etc. then my team is usually knackered by the end of the match. Some are only on pt contracts and most have low stamina to boot so a rest here and there can help keep things on an even keel.

Yes, it especially helps any players who have played in the reserves beforehand, i have been known to accidentally send my key players into reserve matches before important games, by using this routine, you can keep players fit before a match.

I do it sometimes when I play too many cup games in between league games. I sometimes give them a day off after a Champions League game for example.

We at Feyenoord used to have a coach (Erwin Koeman), who would give the squad a day off from training if they lost a game they should have won…

That seems counter-intuitive to me. A day off to relax seems like positive feedback for performing poorly. I would be interested in finding out the efficacy of such a policy, both in real life, and in the game.

Yeah, his philosophy behind it was that they would have a day at home to reflect on their poor performance.

Either that or a day at home to get some serious drinking in, and turning up for training the next day with a thumping hangover.

Either that or a day at home to get some serious drinking in, and turning up for training the next day with a thumping hangover.

If I were the manager and they turned up like that, I know what I would do - Hours and hours of delightful heading practice - would work a treat! ;)

Let's just say that us supporters weren't particularly pleased with this philosophy…

Or to put it as one of my mates did: "Why don't you just f-ing work, you lazy bastards!"

Yeah, I would be annoyed too. Can you imagine in an office, you slack and completely shirk on a presentation, your boss is beside himself with rage, and instead of giving you the boot, he says, "Bad day at the office, no harm lads. Go on, take a sick day, so you can do nothing to reflect on the fact that you did nothing."

That coach better have a negative number for their man management and discipline attibutes ;)

I rest players the day before a game

CTRL+ A, right click>>>training>>>>rest>>>>1 day.

Its good as the condition of players goes back to above 95% on match day, and my starting 11 usually are all 100%

Great tip. Thanks.

Yeah, I would be annoyed to. Can you imagine in an office, you slack and completely shirk on a presentation, your boss is beside himself with rage, and instead of giving you the boot, he says, "Bad day at the office, no harm lads. Go on, take a sick day, so you can do nothing to reflect on the fact that you did nothing."

That coach better have a negative number for their man management and discipline attibutes ;)

Erwin Koeman, Hungary Manager:

Man Management 17

Discipline 5

Uhmmmmmmm

Yus I do use this function, smaller squad allows me to keep top players nearer the 100% mark. Normally If I have won my group with two games left in the champs leg, I rest the key players over these days tuesday and wednesday ready for the weekend.

Yes i use this and find it quite useful. Long term I'd prefer to have a bigger squad and rotate but as I'm in my second season with a small squad I find it helps to get players fit in between matches. I don't use it all the time though only if they drop below 85% and I want them to play the following midweek/weekend game.

I also use it when someone returns from an injury and I want to have them available for an upcoming game which they wouldn't make if they trained.

I do regularly give my players a rest from training. As to how long a rest they get, it is dependent on their condition after a match and how long they have to recover till they are expected to play another match.

If there are only 3 days between matches, I would give players that end the first match at less than 80% a day off from training, sometimes two. If there are at least 4 days between matches, I would only give a day's rest for players who are at around 70% condition after the first match.

The aim is for me to have those players that I have earmarked as potential starters at 94-95% condition before the next match is played. For those whom I know are not going to feature in the second match, I tend to not give them time off training as they will surely have fully recuperated even with full training by the time they are next expected to play.

I use it a fair bit, specially when Euro games are coming up, also fixture congestion. Works well as they can get a good rest of just a few days and be back to 100% condition. Also like the idea of giving them a bit of a rest after big games

I rotate my team so there is no need for a rest.

I rotate mine, as well, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone is practicing every day, no matter if they play in the match or not. I give my players an occasional, conditional break from practice, but never rest them from matches.

personally I rest my plyers after every match between one and three days depending on when the next match is scheduled. I do miss the feature from CM in the options where there was a check box to rest players the day after a match, now I have to do it manually grrrr :(

PS: and I rotate a lot (except gk) so everybody plays and is happy

I seem to remember a message from SI a while back stating that it was now coded in the game and was done automatically however I believe that this is B***** as I can clearly see the diference in players condition when I rest them and when I forget to do it.

Bring back the check box for FM10 !!!

If I have 8+ days between matches I sometimes rest those on very low % fitness. Sometimes all of them.

When i used to find it easy to win everything toward the end of the season, I might send my first teamers for a rest if I've already won the league, play my kids for the last game of the season, so they are fresh for the FA cup or CL final.

If you think that's bad, a couple of seasons ago Huddersfield lost 2-1 away to Gillingham, and played horrifically bad..........the manager decided to give them 3 of the next 4 days off.........go figure

I didnt know that was actually a real function apart from beginning of new season if aplayer reports back tired or summit?! if i wanna rest a player i just dont play him!

where is this rest function?

It's under a player's "Training Schedule". You can access it either via the "Training Overview" screen after clicking to view a player's profile, or through the "Training Schedule" menu in the bottom left of the screen again after clicking to view a player's profile.

TrainingSchedulemenu.jpg

Archived