club coefficients

i was playing with ajax, and in the 2010/2011 season i reached the final of the champions league. i lost it against barcelona.

to reach this point i defeated fc porto in the semi-final.

if i look at the coefficients, the clubs got the following point:

barcelona (winner champions league) : 35.063

ajax (defeated in final ) :30.874

porto (defeated in semi-final) 35.238

so how is it possible that they got more points than barca, even tough they were defeated in the semi-final?

lets see:

group stage

ajax: won 2x against ob, 1 time against arsenal, 1x against olympiakos. lost against arsenal and draw against olympiakos

porto: same results in a group with ac milan, cska and aarau. lost against milan, draw against milan.

1st knockout:

ajax won against man.utd 3-3 (won with penalty's)

porto won from bayern 2-4

quarter:

ajax won from arsenal 7-6 ( yes, i know, quite absurd, ajax home 5-4, away 2-2

porto won against werder bremen 4-2

semi

ajax won after 2 times playing 0-0 and won with penalty's

final

ajax lost 0-1

It is conceivable for a finalist to receive a smaller coefficient than a semi-finalist because the calculation of coefficients is based on your overall performance in the entire Champion's League competition from the group stages onwards. Which league a club represents also matters as a portion of that league's league coefficient gets factored into that club's club coefficient.

Read this wiki article for a more detailed explanation of the calculations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients

That said, it had been acknowledged by SI that their club coefficient calculation system is flawed at present when I had posted my observations in the Bugs Forum. I had noticed my team being wrongfully awarded a lesser coefficient than the team I had beat in the Finals and had outperformed in the entire competition. Since both teams are from the same nation, there is no logical explanation for this discrepancy.

Perhaps they beat stronger teams on their run to the semis.

The calculation of coefficients does not take into account the strength or reputation of teams beaten. Rather, all teams are treated as equal and you get 2 points for every win and 1 point for every draw achieved.

Couldn't it be that porto played the qualifying stage of the champions league and got points for those games?

That could be a reason why the coefficients are calculate wrongly ingame. In real-life, the points accumulated by teams during the qualifying rounds goes into the league coefficients of the leagues those teams represent. They do not contribute directly to the club coefficient.

Archived