General questions on getting hired as an international manger

Generally when playing FM, I find myself sticking with a single club from their days of obscurity to years of glory. However, recently I found myself interested in picking up knowledge of random countries and their languages and realized the best way to do this (without abandoning my club) would be to dabble in international management.

So here's the broad question: As manager of a less than prominent club (brought up from BSN relegation fodder to middling League 1), what would be the best tactic to get hired in any international capacity?

Specifically:

(1) If I remember correctly, starting with FM09 you are now able to manage a nation's youth sides. Are you able to take the reins of any U-21s, U-20s, or U-19s with enough youth players in the database? If so, how would I pursue one of these opportunities: these positions aren't listed in the job center and even when they are vacant I do not see an option to "Apply for job"?

(2) How likely am I to get a job with a side I have no knowledge of? For example, if I apply for the Uruguay job will I have a chance despite not speaking Spanish? It seems that my reputation is often on par with the managers of some of the lesser known South American and African sides but I'm never their first choice.

(3) Is it best to try a scattershot application process when jobs become available after a major international tournament or should I be more selective in the countries I apply for? I have heard it mentioned that the more jobs you apply for, the less seriously they take your application.

(4) Is there a "penalty" for also being a club manager? For example, would Chile place my application below an identical candidate because I'm also managing a club?

(1) This isn't new with FM09. To manage the young'uns when starting a game, go to the nation's side, select the u21s/u18s and click 'Take Control'. It's typically rather rare that these come up in normal gameplay, although people have been known in the past to be offered this job when applying for the main role.

(2) You not having knowledge or not speaking the language will not have any effect on your application as far as I know. However, international teams do tend to prefer managers from their own country, either through nationality or having managed there a while.

(3) I don't think applying for many jobs discredits your applications.

(4) No, they wouldn't do.

Archived