The future's not bright...

Have just played my first few games as England manager in 2012 on FM08 and despite some decent initial results I'm not too optimistic about the future. Basically England's fabled 'golden generation' does appear to be that. Beckham, James, Lumpolard, Ferdinand, Neville are all gone or past it (I forgot to even look for Owen...), Stevie G is 32 and still good but isn't playing too regularly for Liverpool. Players like Terry, both Coles, Bridge, Robinson, Crouch, Kirkland, Brown, Woodgate, Carrick may last til the next World Cup but the new generation coming in to replace them don't seem too convincing, I'm having give first caps to 30 year olds!

Keepers: Foster, there is an amazing regen with the potential to be as good as Buffon but he's only 20

LB: Baines* is pretty good, better than Cashley now

RB: Richards*, then Ryan Taylor, the rest are worse

CB: S. Taylor*, A. Ferdinand, Cahill, Lescott are the picks

CM: Huddlestone, Muamba, Nolan, Cattermole, Woods (Chelsea youngster)

LM/AML: Downing

RM/AML: SWP*, Lennon, Milner

ST: Rooney*, Ashton*, Walcott, Vaughan, Defoe

The ones with a * are the ones I'd consider top class. I hope there are some awesome regens waiting in the wings!

You seem to have completely missed out Curtis Davies, Ashley Young, Scott Sinclair, David Bentley, Mark Noble, Frazier Campbell, Glen Johnson, Michael Johnson, Jack Cork, Michael Mancienne.....

I am in 2012 and all these players are well worthy of an England cap.

You seem to have completely missed out Curtis Davies, Ashley Young, Scott Sinclair, David Bentley, Mark Noble, Frazier Campbell, Glen Johnson, Michael Johnson, Jack Cork, Michael Mancienne.....

I am in 2012 and all these players are well worthy of an England cap.

I did forget Ashley Young (who was player of the tournament at Euro 2012) and I just gave M. Johnson his 3/4th cap. However all the rest of those don't look amazing and are in poor form now or over the past couple of seasons. Compare that to the other major european nations whose wonderkids at the start of the game have now developed into top class players, it's a little worrying.

I'm keeping an eye on Jose Baxter plus Jack Rodwell, they are in the U-21s. Billy Blunt is currently plying his trade in the championship. I resolved not to call up any players from the championship but I think I might have to...

I have to say, everytime i have been England manager on 2009 i have brought Vaughn into the squad straight away playing him with Rooney, he is a goal machine, Phil Jagielka is also a good player for England, Micheal Turner is a good solid CB when he playes for England on 09 also.

Turner will be if your playing 08, as he plays for Hull, im playing 09.

Good strong solid defender, scored on his debut and played a 8. something, also had an average internation rating after about 5 games of 7.80....

You will need to test out younger players, even if it means dropping the likes of Terry, Gerrard etc for a game, just to see how they do, obviously bring them in gently, get a few caps for them. Thats why i was so suprised at Turner because i just chucked him straight in and performed at the right level, a bit like Evans has done for Man U IRL!

If they are good enough I will play them. But if I have a choice between a 30+ year old or a youngster who is not quite as good will it speed up their development if I put them in early? Does the game recognise it as international experience or is it just another game for match experience (if that makes sense)?

Not too sure about the international experience, im guessing it does it, but its even more important to care for the youth of your national squad as you would any top flight club, as it is the future, but obviously with nations you cant just buy other clubs youth that have developed better.....

Usually the regens would take the England team by storm by about 2015, they did on my game, there was a regen called Matt Ayres, he was amazing, better than Fabregas, but one thing i always done was if i was a club aswell as nation was Scout world for english nationality players, then if that didnt work just scout england (Obviously my club scouts done this), you will soon uncover the jewels of the next generation.

Turner will be if your playing 08, as he plays for Hull, im playing 09.

Good strong solid defender, scored on his debut and played a 8. something, also had an average internation rating after about 5 games of 7.80....

You will need to test out younger players, even if it means dropping the likes of Terry, Gerrard etc for a game, just to see how they do, obviously bring them in gently, get a few caps for them. Thats why i was so suprised at Turner because i just chucked him straight in and performed at the right level, a bit like Evans has done for Man U IRL!

I did as I had two successive friendlies. Out went Gerrard and Cashley from the squad, and in the second game I fielded a B side. Trouble was the players I called up to replace them were Lescott (30, first cap), Warnock(30, first cap) and Woods. Vaughan got injured so I've brought in Andy Carroll, who has broken into the Liverpool first team this season and looks as if he will be a good player for my system in the future.

Usually the regens would take the England team by storm by about 2015, they did on my game, there was a regen called Matt Ayres, he was amazing, better than Fabregas, but one thing i always done was if i was a club aswell as nation was Scout world for english nationality players, then if that didnt work just scout england (Obviously my club scouts done this), you will soon uncover the jewels of the next generation.

That sounds more like it...I jacked in my club job when I took over, wanted to concentrate fully on international management so unfortunately no scouts, which would be useful as the national pool system is really unhelpful as you can't compare club stats.

That sounds more like it...I jacked in my club job when I took over, wanted to concentrate fully on international management so unfortunately no scouts, which would be useful as the national pool system is really unhelpful as you can't compare club stats.

Have to agree with the National Pool system being unhelpful. I would hope they bring back shortlists then I can have shortlists for groups of players and just use the national pool for youth.

I think I might just cheat the next time I have to select a squad. Save it, create a new manager, use the new manager to compare English players, make a note of any new finds, select my squad, reload and add any players to the pool or my squad as neccessary.

Thinking back to my FM08 career game some players that did well for me at club level between 2011/20 whilst at Real Madrid/Chelsea (mostly their youth products) were;

Dean Ashton - he played extremely well for me until he was about 33/4, very reliable back up too...

Andy Carroll - he's an FM08 legend.

Scott Sinclair - constant thorn in my side in La Liga, I brought him back to Chelsea and did very well on the left wing.

Micheal Woods - Brilliant all round midfielder for me, score and made goals for fun.

Ryan Bertrand - Very reliable left-back, going forward in and in defense.

Jack Cork - Good 3rd choice CB or 2nd choice DM for me but did well when playing regularly for City after moving on.

Micheal Mancienne - had just secured a big money move to AC Milan before I arrived and has done well there, I put in very large bids to get him back but it was a no go.

Most of those are from one club, I'd signed/promoted quite a few promising regen youngsters as well so there's talent out their if your willing to take a gamble on the youngsters.

I found that with AI England managers they didn't get in quick enough to cap youngsters and they themselves were capped by second nations. I had a great young DM I got through the ranks, who I was looking forward to getting his first England cap only for him to get to 24 and play get a cap for Scotland. Idiots.

Archived