League of Ireland

Drogheda United i played as on FM2008, was a good save!

On FM2009 I signed a regen on a free from Shamrock Rovers. Andy Robson, he nows turns out as my first choice forward at Milan aged 19!

Never played in the Irish league myself either. But by coincdence i've got a soft spot for Shelbourne as i had them as an affiliate on FM07 and they produced some gems for my all conquering Bromley side :)

I play as Bohs and support them in real life as theyre not far from where I live in Dublin

i havnt played the irish league on 09 but i ussualy have a go on 08 i went wexford which is my 2nd home and the town what means alot to me so was nice to lift them from being the worse team in ireland to one of the best although that took the most effort i have put in on FM. if i go the irish league on 09 it will be with wexford again.

Im from Kilkenny originally, but they are gone from the game now... But when I moved to Dublin I moved into a house next to Dalymount Park so I became a Bohemian fan that day! Have a Bohs save on the go at the moment. Its trying to do well in Europe that keeps me interested in it

I played in N.Ireland a lot in FM2008.

It was one of the 'challenges' in the CSE forum on here. There were quite a few people playing in both N.Ireland and Rep.Ireland. The aim was to try and win the Champions League with a side from one of the minor European leagues.

One issue I did find in FM2008 though, was the total dominance of the Rep Ireland teams in the Setanta Cup. Is that realistic and is it still the same in FM2009?

Haven't been outwith the SPL yet in FM2009, apart from one savegame.

I usually play as linfield or any lower northern irish team but always travel south and have a few saved games going with Fingal, Drogheda and Finn Harps( Currently playing a save in the northern Irish league as a created team 'Harp United' after the beer I mainly drink:)

I usually play as linfield or any lower northern irish team but always travel south and have a few saved games going with Fingal, Drogheda and Finn Harps( Currently playing a save in the northern Irish league as a created team 'Harp United' after the beer I mainly drink:)

I've spent a lot of FM2008 managing in N.Ireland, mostly as Linfield, but not tried there yet in FM2009, but remember a thread about the changes to the league format IRL.

What exactly happened/changed?

Is it 10/12 teams playing each other four times same as SPL then?

It matters the division, can't remember which is which, but one is a division of 12 playing 3 times, and the other is a division of 10 playing 4 times. 3 times isn't so bad, but I think the lack of fair home/away is kinda unfair.

12 teams players each other 3 times and then the leagues splits into half and plays eachother once more is the SPL format, which has its flaws and this is why Setanta and the scottish fa are pushing for SPL2 to come around also

I've spent a lot of FM2008 managing in N.Ireland, mostly as Linfield, but not tried there yet in FM2009, but remember a thread about the changes to the league format IRL.

What exactly happened/changed?

Is it 10/12 teams playing each other four times same as SPL then?

the jjb premier division- teams play each other three times making it 33 fixtures each and then it splits, so the top six play each other a fourth time for the championship and euro qualifications and the bottom six to sort out relegation,

2008/09 reorganisation

For the 2008/09 season, the League system for Northern Ireland was re-organised. It was renamed as the IFA Premiership, and reduced to twelve teams, included on the basis not only of their performance in the 2007-08 season, but in the previous two seasons, and other off-the-field criteria as follows. Each applicant club was assessed by an independent panel and awarded points against the following criteria:

- Sporting (maximum 450 points) - based on league placings, Irish Cup, League Cup and European performances in 2005/06, 2006/07 and 2007/08; with points also awarded for running youth teams, women's teams and community development programmes.

- Finance (maximum 200 points) - based on solvency, debt management and cash-flow projection.

- Infrastructure (maximum 150 points) - based on stadium capacity, changing provisions, sanitary facilities, field of play, floodlighting, existence and standard of control room, first aid room, drug testing room and media facilities.

- Business planning (maximum 50 points)

- Personnel (maximum 100 points) - based on qualification and experience of staff

- Attendances (maximum 50 points)

Portadown were relegated to the IFA Championship as a result of submitting their application for the IFA Premiership 29 minutes past the deadline for consideration

(info courtesy of wikipedia but is accurate:p)

I played in N.Ireland a lot in FM2008.

It was one of the 'challenges' in the CSE forum on here. There were quite a few people playing in both N.Ireland and Rep.Ireland. The aim was to try and win the Champions League with a side from one of the minor European leagues.

One issue I did find in FM2008 though, was the total dominance of the Rep Ireland teams in the Setanta Cup. Is that realistic and is it still the same in FM2009?

Haven't been outwith the SPL yet in FM2009, apart from one savegame.

I played with a N.Ireland team in gundo's challenge this year and the N.Ireland leagues are much stronger this year, certainly i and the other N.Ireland teams were very competitive in the setanta cup often winning it.

I played with a N.Ireland team in gundo's challenge this year and the N.Ireland leagues are much stronger this year, certainly i and the other N.Ireland teams were very competitive in the setanta cup often winning it.

Linfield have done fairly well in recent time in the Setanta cup, but the league of Ireland teams are always going to be slight favourites until the teams up in the north turn full time.

Yeah, I didn't think it was wildly off-topic. Not as if you were trying to spark debate about whether Tomato Ketchup or HP Brown Sauce are tastier.

Now that you mention it, HP Brown Sauce IMO. I have large bottles of both condiments and I find that I use HP Brown sauce to a ratio of roughly 5:3 to Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

Now that you mention it, HP Brown Sauce IMO. I have large bottles of both condiments and I find that I use HP Brown sauce to a ratio of roughly 5:3 to Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

I tend to have my HP Brown Sauce slider much further to the right than my Ketchup one. Also like to make sure my dad has his salt passing slider set to short, with a slow tempo. :D

Just started a new save with bohs and really enjoying it. I'm top of the league by 5 points halfway through the season but what's more important is that I've signed some real future quality in Oskitz and Josh Lambo, a great Slovakian called Grendel and loads of other eastern europeans after a lot of negotiating. Knocked out Dianamo Zagreb and Flora in the first and second qualifying rounds of the champions league and have Legia Warsaw in the third and final qualifying round. I feel a long term save coming on!

Oh AND I got Opare to agree to join from Real Madrid but he didn't get a work permit :(

Archived