Who Thinks They Have a Good Understanding of The Match Engine 9.3.0 ?

Do You Have a Good Understanding of the ME 9.03 ?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have a Good Understanding of the ME 9.03 ?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simply put, yes.

To be more detailed, I'm actually finding the match engine even more helpful in understanding what's going on in games than in all the previous releases of FM put together.

Great, you did'nt help my West Ham side out much though did you?(lol)

Great, you did'nt help my West Ham side out much though did you?(lol)

But you didnt ask for help with your West Ham team did you? The Tactics and Training forum is the place to ask for such things :thup:

I also agree that most of your threads are rants/moans/gripes about FM, but you also offer very little to constructively solve the problems you are facing.

Well no I don't have a good understanding of the match engine as I am still trying out a lot of tactics and I am not winning every match. The match engine in literal terms is hundreds of calculations and if I had a good understanding of what worked and what didn't I would be winning most of my matches.

Millions, Peter, not hundreds.

Now, if you'd asked "Does anyone have a good understanding of women" .... (any patched version)

My answer would still be no.

I don't think anyone can honestly say they have a good understanding of the ME. The ones who code it have a good understanding but it can even be unpredictable for them.

Yes

The match engine is straight forward enough to understand. Not easy to master but easy to understand and responds well to logical tactical input.

In fact, I am most impressed and glad that this game is not a simple pick up and play arcade style game but an enjoyable and in depth challenging sim.

Yes

The match engine is straight forward enough to understand. Not easy to master but easy to understand and responds well to logical tactical input.

In fact, I am most impressed and glad that this game is not a simple pick up and play arcade style game but an enjoyable and in depth challenging sim.

Now your sure we are talking about the same game here?

I'm on about FM09 patch 9.3.0(wink)

Now your sure we are talking about the same game here?

I'm on about FM09 patch 9.3.0(wink)

Yep.

I have a somewhat basic approach (although I do play Lower Leagues).

I pick a tactic (4-4-2) and lower all creative freedom and closing down so that my team is solid and keeps its shape and then pick a passing style & tempo that suits my squad passing level and thats it.

I find that once I have done that it makes it easy to see whats wrong or what needs tweaking etc.

If a player has low rating or pass completion then I make small adjustments accordingly and if a particular player has a slightly higher ability level in a particular area or attribute then I again make small approriate changes. If a player is scoring good ratings and making lots of key passes then I leave them alone.

I wouldn't say that I am a master or anything but I feel that the match engine responds well to my approach.

Yep.

I have a somewhat basic approach (although I do play Lower Leagues).

I pick a tactic (4-4-2) and lower all creative freedom and closing down so that my team is solid and keeps its shape and then pick a passing style & tempo that suits my squad passing level and thats it.

I find that once I have done that it makes it easy to see whats wrong or what needs tweaking etc.

If a player has low rating or pass completion then I make small adjustments accordingly and if a particular player has a slightly higher ability level in a particular area or attribute then I again make small approriate changes. If a player is scoring good ratings and making lots of key passes then I leave them alone.

I wouldn't say that I am a master or anything but I feel that the match engine responds well to my approach.

Nice one :thup:

Whenever i watch matches, it looks like i'm playing a different sport? :(

wwfan - How many votes have you cast? ;)

Ok Hammer1000... as Lloyd Grossman would say to Sir David Frost...

"Let's have a look at the evidence..."

You're not happy with the match engine, or how it represents "football", thus have no willingness to try understanding what it represents.

You're not happy because there's no "Insert Wins Here" tactic that works for every team, whatever players or level.

You've loved playing FM in the past, but aren't getting any pleasure from it whatsoever now.

You've had plenty of good and simple advice from many forum users and still aren't happy with things.

Now I'm not having a personal swipe here, as I and others have tried to be helpful and supportive on lot's of other threads. Surely though, if the game is as bad as you make it out to be, plus you're not gaining any pleasure from it, it does beg the question - why keep on playing it at all?

it does beg the question - why keep on playing it at all?

Attention , boredom.....

No offense, but after several huge threads and complete refusal to even come to partial terms with one single thing that he doesn't believe in, there is nothing else left to conclude.

Actually, if your really interested? what i try to do by posting here on the Forum, is to be a voice for the little guy.

I attempt to raise issues for those FM'ers who do not frequent these Forums and are sat at home in front of their PC's/Laptops thinking :confused::confused::confused:

I first started doing this a long time ago, back when most of my friends were also FM addicts. I relayed information to and from the Forum answering their queries, letting them know which issues they were having were bugs and which were of their own making, that sort of thing?

I now have just one close friend who plays FM, he is playing the original boxed game version in which he plays as his beloved Everton. He manages just and hour or two a night if that? and like all my other friends who once adored the game, he is finding it harder and harder to grasp any enjoyment/fun out of it.

My personal view and as it happens, that of my ex FM addicted friends, is that the series no longer provides anything like the correct/balance of fun/realism/addictiveness of past versions, becoming more a game of Chess than that of football.

With all due respect to Rich(wwfan) it is obvious that he much prefers the Chess side of things, something that has become apparent since he was recruited to help out with the ME for FM09 and even more so in each subsequent patch. I think that this was a huge mistake, as in doing so has isolated the very cornerstone of the average FM'er, those of us who do like a challenge yes, but we also predominantly want to have FUN and the game of Chess we now have to meticulously work our way through has erased much of that FUN and it will no doubt be drained further, if FM continues on its current heading?

Of course i may be wrong? maybe the actual majority prefer the Chess game? i dont have any idea how many units SI sold of this years game, i dont know if sales dropped? i dont know if a drop in sales was anticipated by the recession?

All i can go by is my own feelings and experience and that of my friends, ex addicts of the game themselves.

Maybe all i can hope for now is a drop in sales so huge that SI will have to rethink the path they appear to be taking FM down? i certainly dont want them to go bust or anything so drastic?

I admit to being somewhat selfish and can merely hope that the majority of FM customers have thoughts similar to my own? if i'm wrong? thats the end of FM for me, maybe i'm just too nostalgic, but i know i would miss my fix of FM and not trying to be to dramatic, the loss WOULD leave something of a hole.

Maybe i'm just a sad old git? :(

I think I have a good understanding off it.

Its a tit for tat system really.

I start of with three tactics, attacking, standard and attacking.

I change as the game changes, ie goals scored by me or the opposition. Them changing formation etc.

No point using the same tactic all the way through a game.

Its 0-0 they go more attacking and we see less of the ball then we go more defensive hit on the counter. They lay of their attacking mentality and we go back to standard. We score agian we put the pressure on by going attacking.

I just alternate through my three tactics.

Seems simple enough to me.

You aren't supposed to understand it!

That's reserved for really clever people like SFraser and wwfan and so on!

You are simply supposed to obey what it says in the Holy Book (TT&F manual). If you do, then everything else will follow!

Hallelujah!! Praise SI!!!

You aren't supposed to understand it!

That's reserved for really clever people like SFraser and wwfan and so on!

You are simply supposed to obey what it says in the Holy Book (TT&F manual). If you do, then everything else will follow!

Hallelujah!! Praise SI!!!

I'm allergic to sarcasm, you're getting my doctors bills.

I'm allergic to sarcasm, you're getting my doctors bills.

I am but a humble, poor little girl who has no money!

Unless your doctor is an expert at getting blood out of a stone, he can whistle!

I am but a humble, poor little girl who has no money!

Unless your doctor is an expert at getting blood out of a stone, he can whistle!

Occupation

Run my own business consultancy

Your profile says otherwise, cough up.

I'm never hostile RT! I am an innocent soul who spreads sweetness and light.

I don't altogether take to SFraser's supercilious attitude to various posters though. There's no need for him to talk down to people as he tends to do sometimes.

Besides, I don't think either he or wwfan should really worry you too much - they seem very capable of looking after themselves, if truth be known :D !

And Nomis07 knows perfectly well that there is a world economic crisis, so I am afraid that he will just have to suffer! I doubt if he will do it in silence though.......

Ahem, back on topic.

I don't understand the match engine. It's difficult to see the effect the tactical decisions you make have in the match engine.

There is no 'normal' when experimenting. Unless you reload and play the same match again and again.

Even then I can't decide if the decision to drop my d-line was the reason for Robbie Keane going through 3 players and slotting home when he scores at more or the less the same time every re-load...

(That's got to be player values being calculated in the match engine, and not tactical decisions? I.E (I'm not sure what the attribute ratings off hand are...) Robbie Keane - dribbling 15, technique 15, pace 15, acceleration 15, balance 15 VS Titus Bramble - pace 13, tackling 14, acceleration 14, concentration -6)

I doubt he would show up if you arranged to meet for payment purposes...

He gets your hopes up, way up... and then lets them crash down, like a big hammer onto a nail.

BAM! Hammered into oblivion. :(

R.I.P Gilles Domoraud + Nomis07. March, 2009.

Pretty sure I had to call it off because you had VD. If you're clean now, pm me.

I think I've got a decent enough grasp of things, but I found it was easier to understand once you realise that players aren't robots. Little bit unsure about the defensive side of things, mind, as I can't seem tie in what I see on the pitch with what I've got in my sliders (specifically, closing down and tight marking - I really can't seem to get my players to do that effectively).

I had a pretty good understanding of the ME last night. Was playing against Bolton as Liverpool, away. Was 2-0 up during half-time. After 80 minutes, the score was 2-2. So I decided to put on an extra striker (because you can't lose against Bolton as Liverpool, let's be honest with each other fellas), and guess what? I lost 4-2, because I gave away far too much space at the back.

It's a classic example of an unwritten law of football, that's what that is. Made me realize the ME was spot on. On that occasion anyway.

If only?...

Are you implying that you do have a good understanding of RL football? That, if you were put in charge of a real team, you would have the tactical nous to beat SAF, Wenger, Benitez et al?

People do seem to forget, it is a simulation but it cannot be too realistic, because you would never get to the upper levels because in RL we aren't managers! We would, to put it bluntly, be outclassed.

Are you implying that you do have a good understanding of RL football? That, if you were put in charge of a real team, you would have the tactical nous to beat SAF, Wenger, Benitez et al?

People do seem to forget, it is a simulation but it cannot be too realistic, because you would never get to the upper levels because in RL we aren't managers! We would, to put it bluntly, be outclassed.

Actually i think i do, although i would not for one minute suggest that i had anywhere near the tactical nous to out think Fergie and Co.

I have a mate who has passed his FA Coaching badges and he has often said to me that i should do the same thing. Personally i'm not inclined to do such a thing, but if i did, i'm sure i could excel?(although again, not to a Professional standard)

I picked out early problems with what Zola was trying to do at West Ham, where we tried to attack with some considered style, but our build up play was so slow that we were always allowing the opposition to get the required players back behind the ball, thus we struggled to break teams down in the final third.

Zola has changed this so that we mix things up a lot more, as likely to use Carlton Cole as a TM as we are to play the one touch stuff as well as playing at a slightly higher tempo.

My issue with Zola's set up at the moment is that we do not play with enough width, Collison or Noble will be used at wide right or left, depending on which side Behrami starts and those two are both central midfielders and are not ever really going to give us much down the wings, sadly with Behrami now out for 6 months, we will not get to see the two winger approach at least this season. Instead we are likely to see Savio making more starts on the left(which is great) and Noble or Collison(out for a month) playing on the right.

Its said that we have been playing a 4-4-2 diamond, which is how Zola sets our formation in FM, but its more like a 4-1-3-2 with Parker in the DM role, two MC's and one winger.

In FM to play the way West Ham do under Zola, you would have to change tactic every five minutes, as you cannot possibly set the tactics to one minute playing one touch football to the next playing direct balls up to our TM?

Again, this is where FM falls short, the game is just not sophisticated enough to cope with RL tactics and situations, yet SI are hellbent on making the game about micro managing?

I dont wish to get into any arguments, but i was just wondering what the likes of wwfan thought about the poll percentages so far?

Actually i just want to chat, as i am unable to play FM since the latest patch, loading up the game now and again to try out a few new ideas and the odd new tactic, but thats about it.

Just a few questions i had in mind.

1. Do you think the poll percentages are a fair reflection on the FM community as a whole? as there has obviously not been a massive amount of voters.

2. Would it be fair to suggest that if these percentages WERE a true reflection of the community as a whole, that if we were to cast a vote to FM'ers who are not part of the community, those who do not frequent any forums and are not privvy to the likes of TT&F, that that number would largely increase the percentage of vote of those who do not have a good understanding of the ME?

Like i say, i'd prefer a discussion and not an argument.

Archived