Does height affect winning headers?

I also figured that the height at which someone's head could reach in the air in FM is their height + their jump. So when looking at good aerial people I always considered height, jumping, and heading. Someone told me that height actually doesn't matter in the game.

Is that to say that a 150 centimeters tall player with 15 jumping, 16 strength, and 15 positioning would more often than not beat out a player with 190 centimeters height, 15 jumping, only 15 strength, and 15 positioning?

That doesn't make any sense. But regardless I just want to know if it's true or not because if height doesn't matter then Miguel Veloso is all of a sudden a much more likeable transfer target.

Thanks

There are short people who can head very well.

And there are tall people who cannot head very well.

Height only makes it easier to reach the ball with less effort. Heading is a technique that must be learned.

I realize that height doesn't have to do with how well you can actually head it. But it should help determine whether you can reach it. That's what I mean. Someone taller with the same jumping ability should be able to beat a shorter person with teh same jumping just because the taller person could get to the ball at a higher point than the shorter person...

So is it easier for tall people to reach the ball in FM? Or not?

I've done a test to confirm that Height has no impact whatsoever regarding who wins headers. I simply took a tall player with excellent Jumping like Chris Iwelumo, created a clone of him with the editor keeping every attribute exactly the same except for Height - I made him 25 cm shorter than in real life. I then played the same match over and over again, inserting Iwelumo I and Iwelumo II into the same spot in the lineup every other game.

The results were telling. There was no noticeable difference in headers won between the two Iwelumos. Height is simply not a factor at all in the match engine.

However most players who are tall and strong will tend to have a good Jumping attribute which will mean an indirect link to height and ability to head the ball. For example I think Crouch's jumping is around 19. In reality he isn't very good at jumping, yet he is very tall so that translates as a high jumping attribute.

Jumping effectively measures the maximum height that a player can get their head to. So if (for example, completely making players up without looking at FM stats) Bellamy and Crouch both had jumping 18, what it means is that both players can get their heads to the same height to compete for the ball. The fact that for Bellamy it involves jumping 3 feet in the air, and for Crouch he is only 3 inches up, is neither here nor there.

However as I understand it height is a contributory factor to the determination of jumping. As alimac says, if a player is tall they will probably start with a higher initial value for jumping than a short player (taking statistical deviations into account).

Archived