How do you handle your gems?

Would be intresting to know what kind of process everyone has when it comes to developing their youngsters. Personally I like to be heavily involved in everything they do to make sure I squeeze out all potential that they have.

1) Youngster is bought/promoted into the youth squad. (I'm currently at Fiorentina who have U20's, not U18 but same process nonetheless). He's put on a specific training to suit his position.

2) The year he turns 18 he goes onto senior training (at Fiorentina you can have them on senior training but still keep them in the U20) and would hopefully get a few sub or even starting appearence to access how he handles it.

3) If he doesn't show enough quality to provide backup to first team I loan him out to a club that I make sure he plays for. If it's a feeder or not doesn't matter. This is good for two reasons. a)Gives him first team football obviously b)Gives the player more rep so if you don't want him you can sell him more easily.

4) Player returns and would be 19/20 years of age. Here I make the decision if he'll ever be part of the first team. If not I sell and invest the money into a new youngster and start the process all over again.

This process has worked wonders for me. Even players who I didn't think would be rotators/backup have improved immensely when they come back from loan and have been blended into the first team.

Does anyone have an alternative method?

Depends who you manage really. If you are a big club like Fiorentina you can do that but if you are a semi-pro team then you can't really afford to wait that long. You either throw them in straight away or release them before they turn 18. Personally, I throw them in straight away and usually I can tell if they have any long-term future at the club. I mainly rely on coach reports though.

Archived