sent off for handling outside of area

in my united save ben foster came out vs liverpool and went for the ball inside his 16 yrd box but actually caught it just outside :( i thut this was a yellow not a straight red ? !

EDIT: it shows the ref was wrong as i complained about the descision but i did not appeal as you never win dam ! lol

IIRC, IRL it is a yellow if it is apparent that he didn't do it purposely, ie he slid with the ball in his hands over the line, but if he actually catches the ball whilst outside the area, then it is deliberate handball and a red card, especially if there are attackers nearby, because then he is denying a scoring opportunity.

That said, I think in FM, it is always a red card, I certainly haven't seen any yellows given for it.

I have seen a yellow given to an opposing goalkeeper for handling outside the area in FM 09.

He had handled the ball while being marginally outside the area, but none of my players were near him at all.

The silly thing though, was that he did this twice in the same match. So two yellows led to a red eventually. And a huge laughing fit on my part. :D

IRL it a yellow card. It happened last night when the Chelsea keeper with the hat slid outside the box and was booked for it.

It is still possible to get sent off for it, like I said, if there are attacking players nearby or if he blatantly does it on purpose, it is quite probable that the referee will send the player off

In cases like that, when it is marginally outside the box and it's not saving a CLEAR goal, it's usually a yellow card. Stricter refs might deem it a red card offence though.

IIRC, IRL it is a yellow if it is apparent that he didn't do it purposely, ie he slid with the ball in his hands over the line, but if he actually catches the ball whilst outside the area, then it is deliberate handball and a red card, especially if there are attackers nearby, because then he is denying a scoring opportunity.

That said, I think in FM, it is always a red card, I certainly haven't seen any yellows given for it.

If he did it accidentally, it isn't even a free kick. Handball must be deliberate to give a free kick

I have only seen yellow cards for this, One for my team, and one for the opposing team only. They were both marginally, but the opposing team one, my striker was very close to him, and i was shocked when it was only a yellow card. I even thought my own keeper was going to get a red card.

If he did it accidentally, it isn't even a free kick. Handball must be deliberate to give a free kick

Not so sure about this - iirc the rules don't state that any deliberate intent is required - i think this is just a fabrication by useless commentators.

I will happily be corrected though, as my memory is quite poor, so i could well be wrong :D

With a GK, it's always a free kick, but not always a booking. Most GK's don't deliberately handle outside the box, they do try to keep it inside, doesn't matter, free kick every time.

However, unless the OP says otherwise, I'd suggest Foster prevented a goal-scoring opportunity, he hasn't made it clear either way.

There was an Oldham keeper once who came out and slid for the ball, bobbling round near the edge of the box...

Problem was that he kept on sliding, and came out of the box!

Straight red IRL for DOGSO I think.

Edit- DOGSO = Ref speak for Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opp!

Archived