Why I am a complete idiot...

I've been looking forward to purchasing Football Manager 09 for a while now after enjoying both 08 and 07 immensely. Sadly, due to living in the middle of nowhere (New Zealand) I can't find a single place to buy it...until today! I had an epiphany while enjoying my regular morning shower and realised I could buy it off Steam. After going through the normal registration processes and logging on I found FM09 at a reasonable rate and with the added bonus of a relatively quick download.

So I'm sitting there clock watching waiting in excitement for my new game. It's hit 98% and I'm already fantasizing about who I'm going to be and who I'm going to buy. The last two percent is taking forever but, finally, it gets to the magic 100% mark. I load it up with child like anticipation only to find that...

...I've got FIFA Manager 09. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH! I swear I clicked the right link but perhaps my impatience got the better of me. Now despite my desperation for some sweet 09 manager goodness I'm not going to resort to that second rate game. I'm going to go ahead and assume that my only option available is to bloody well buy the game again?

That's a sore one...I feel for ya mate, but I'd think you really will have to 'rebuy' the game, unless you are able to get in touch from someone from Steam and explain your error, maybe they'd be able to do somthing for ya...but that's probably a long shot since it's a download you have.

That's a sore one...I feel for ya mate, but I'd think you really will have to 'rebuy' the game, unless you are able to get in touch from someone from Steam and explain your error, maybe they'd be able to do somthing for ya...but that's probably a long shot since it's a download you have.

Yeah I'm hoping they take pity on me. I've never been accused of being a rich man so I'm going to be pretty gutted if I have to buy the game again (which I will because it looks fantastic!)

I've been looking forward to purchasing Football Manager 09 for a while now after enjoying both 08 and 07 immensely. Sadly, due to living in the middle of nowhere (New Zealand) I can't find a single place to buy it...until today!

Firstly welcome to the forums, I realise you've been registered for a while but this is your first post so.... Nice to see another New Zealander that plays the game, there appears to be a few of us getting around here now.

Did you check your local EB Games store? Mine only stocked 2 copies for the (delayed) release date but I did manage to get my hands on one of them :thup:

Good story all the same and I don't see you getting FM for free I'm afraid.

Firstly welcome to the forums, I realise you've been registered for a while but this is your first post so.... Nice to see another New Zealander that plays the game, there appears to be a few of us getting around here now.

Did you check your local EB Games store? Mine only stocked 2 copies for the (delayed) release date but I did manage to get my hands on one of them :thup:

Good story all the same and I don't see you getting FM for free I'm afraid.

I also live New Zealand, and my local EB told me they had stopped stocking the game due to the huge amount of complaints they had received from disgruntled people, due to bugs and the registration process not working properly etc.

So steam is your only option over here sadly.

Also very amusing story I would have been sick as...

I also live New Zealand, and my local EB told me they had stopped stocking the game due to the huge amount of complaints they had received from disgruntled people, due to bugs and the registration process not working properly etc.

Sounds like something SI ought to be aware of.

That's pretty poor going really, didn't think that many people would buy the game for "huge" amounts of complaints :D

That's pretty poor going really, didn't think that many people would buy the game for "huge" amounts of complaints :D

Well just saying what they told me.

Also I think the 'huge' amounts of complaints were relative to sales. As I know of at least 8 people who play the game, only I would have put up with, and would have the technical know how, to go through the near 2 hour ordeal of getting through the registration process (which is how long it took me).

Everyone else would have just taken it back, so thats 7 complaints out of 8 sales...

Yeah I had a look in EB but they didn't have it in stock in any of their stores otherwise I'd have preferred an actual hard copy of the game as opposed to a steam copy. Yes, I don't see any hope in getting my money back or a copy of FM09 so I'll just have to cut my losses and suck it up I suppose.

I've just broken up with the girlfriend of four years and landed a job that I do mostly from home. I was looking forward to taking my mind off things and using my new found freedom (unwanted as it may be) to play some Football Manager. I guess it will have to wait until next payday :(

Good to see some other Kiwis in here, we do pop up everywhere don't we?

I'm a POME really though so I'm not sure I count ;)

Same here were called Piwi's Pommie Kiwi's where I live.

Saying that at least 750k+ of a population of 4.5-5 million are Poms. So I think we count otherwise NZ would be empty, or even more empty than it is now.

Yeah I had a look in EB but they didn't have it in stock in any of their stores otherwise I'd have preferred an actual hard copy of the game as opposed to a steam copy. Yes, I don't see any hope in getting my money back or a copy of FM09 so I'll just have to cut my losses and suck it up I suppose.

I've just broken up with the girlfriend of four years and landed a job that I do mostly from home. I was looking forward to taking my mind off things and using my new found freedom (unwanted as it may be) to play some Football Manager. I guess it will have to wait until next payday :(

Good to see some other Kiwis in here, we do pop up everywhere don't we?

I feel your pain and would suggest you go for a pint but its past 6pm so the shops will be shut! haha

Same here were called Piwi's Pommie Kiwi's where I live.

Saying that at least 750k+ of a population of 4.5-5 million are Poms. So I think we count otherwise NZ would be empty, or even more empty than it is now.

Ah well the more of us there are the more popular football should become, then there'll be a few more people to complain about FM :D

LOL sorry for laughing bud but you have to admit...it is pretty funny :D hope you get FM 09 soon.

Same here :D

try to contact Steam if perhaps there is a way to switch them dunno but I doubt.

Have fun then with FM09, it is worth such a mistake, it happenz

I've been looking forward to purchasing Football Manager 09 for a while now after enjoying both 08 and 07 immensely. Sadly, due to living in the middle of nowhere (New Zealand) I can't find a single place to buy it...until today! I had an epiphany while enjoying my regular morning shower and realised I could buy it off Steam. After going through the normal registration processes and logging on I found FM09 at a reasonable rate and with the added bonus of a relatively quick download.

So I'm sitting there clock watching waiting in excitement for my new game. It's hit 98% and I'm already fantasizing about who I'm going to be and who I'm going to buy. The last two percent is taking forever but, finally, it gets to the magic 100% mark. I load it up with child like anticipation only to find that...

...I've got FIFA Manager 09. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH! I swear I clicked the right link but perhaps my impatience got the better of me. Now despite my desperation for some sweet 09 manager goodness I'm not going to resort to that second rate game. I'm going to go ahead and assume that my only option available is to bloody well buy the game again?

Enter your username and password and email steam (follow this link https://support.steampowered.com/index.php). Tell them what has happened, I'm sure they'll understand :thup:

Yeah I've e mailed Steam and told them my problem but I can completely understand if (more like when) they turn me down. It doesn't send out a very good message if they will just replace the game if you ask nicely. Too many scam artists in the world for a company to be that trusting unfortunately. I'll let you you guys know the outcome as soon as I do, thanks for all the condolences:)

Still no word from steam yet. I wonder how long these things take? The worst thing is that I've got no use for the game a actually bought. I don't want to play it and I can't sell it. I may as well of just burned $80.

lol, i almost got myself into a similar situation.

Went to JB Hi-Fi in australia, picked up Fifa Manager, and the cover looked similar (manager holding a ball) to FM 08, and was in queue about to pay for it.

Looked at the back cover and noticed the screenshots were completely different.

Ran off, got a copy of an actual FM 09 and paid for that instead.

Felt so dirty and embarrased holding an inferior product for those 30 seconds

I had a pretty good search for it but no store seemed to stock it. I used to buy it from an Australian store which sold stuff on Trademe (New Zealand's equivalent to Ebay) but this year they didn't appear to be selling. I'd use Steam again for sure, next time I'll make sure I'm getting the right bloody game though.

Still no word from steam yet. I wonder how long these things take? The worst thing is that I've got no use for the game a actually bought. I don't want to play it and I can't sell it. I may as well of just burned $80.
Yeah I've e mailed Steam and told them my problem but I can completely understand if (more like when) they turn me down. It doesn't send out a very good message if they will just replace the game if you ask nicely. Too many scam artists in the world for a company to be that trusting unfortunately. I'll let you you guys know the outcome as soon as I do, thanks for all the condolences:)

tell them you got confused because they are both FM09????? :cool:

Woohooo! Steam got back to me today and said they will replace the game for me. I'll finally be able to play some fm09! (Football Manager 09 not @!*#!*& Fifa Manager)

Excellent news, well done :)

See - Steam are not the complete set of wotsits that a lot of people make them out to be!

Archived