Ending game tactics with the lead

When is the best time to actually change formations with the lead. I normally play 4-2-3-1 and I'm loaded in the midfield. I have a good 3rd CB who I like to put in the close the game with the lead but it seems recently that by changing my formation to like a 5-4-1 to end the game all of the sudden instead of my team applying the pressure it rapidly shifts towards me and all of the sudden teams are getting shots, corners, and free kicks which obviously lead to goals. I also sometimes even try a 5-3-1-1 in the last ten minutes. Is there any suggestions? Should I just keep my original line-up(I really like to take a midfielder or two out before the end of the game to save against injury at the very least) and just keep the pressure on? Is there any formations that tend to be better to kill a game off. Oh and I do apply time killing tactics so I really don't know what else to do.

You'll get better answers over in the tactics forum, but for my two pennth', it's the adding a third centre back that's causing your problems. You're changing what on paper looks to be a packed midfield to a packed defence. So the opposition find it easier to get through the midfield and onto your defence. So they may be getting more attacks in. More attacks on your defence are creating more situations where your players are going to foul the opposition or put the ball out of play.

I generally play a 4-4-2, but when the situation calls for it, I change what the players are doing, not the formation. I'll take forward runs off the wingers, fullbacks and my attacking midfielder and drop one of my strikers deeper. So far this has seemed to work. If you want to take a midfielder off I'd replace them with a Defensive midfielder rather than a centre back, so you have an extra tackler in midfield. This can stop the opposition attacks before they get to the defence where corners and free kicks become a danger. And tick the counter attack if the opposition are committing players forward, as they have a weaker defence.

But as I said, there's great advice over in the tactics forum, far better than any I can supply. Good luck.

Cavenagh is right about the Tactics forum, I do have a slightly different view to his when closing the game down but mine is dependant to the opposition changing to the famous 4-2-4 formation. I don't change my tactics unless the opposition changes theirs though. I can't take the credit for the Kill game tactic I use as I based it very much on something I read in the forums a few years ago (can't remember who's ideas it's based on now though). If you want me to email it to you then PM me with your email address.

Archived