Patch 9.3 changelist - Match v748 - Slight reduction in effectiveness of long shots

Well, according to 99% of the comments left of various worldwise forums,

everybody seems to disagree with the above 9.3 changelist point and many reckon the unreal amount of long range shots used to get the opponents back into games is actually ruining the game.

What your opinion ? Do we need to wait for FM2010 to have this sorted?

Cheers

It will be something to do with poor closing down settings. I certainly haven't seen anything suggesting that long shots are going in with increased regularity.

possibly, but the shots go in too. is that poor keeping?

What do you class long shots as? 20 yards? I seem to score and concede those the most out of any, second would be crossing and a half volley, and third would be the corner bug. Long shots seem really effective.

What do you class long shots as? 20 yards? I seem to score and concede those the most out of any, second would be crossing and a half volley, and third would be the corner bug. Long shots seem really effective.

Anything from outside the penalty box is a long shot to me. But I have seen ones regularly going in from 30+ yards! Despite having high closing down and using OI's.

Yea they (my players and the AI players) seem to attempt more and make more long shots. I'd say the ratio of scored/attempted is the same, but some of them are ridiculous. Rolfes scored for me from at least 35 yards and Julio Alvarez vollyed one off the crossbar and in off a corner kick clearance from maybe 30 yards away. Both would probably be candidates for the best goals of all time...

So yea it's a little unrealistic and should be fixed in fm10 but I don't think it detracts from the game all that much.

I would say there are too many long shots and few have gone in,from what i notice about 70% or 80% of attack are coming from shots 2x yards out.Well actually i should say too many long shot OVER THE BAR,there are too few variety, seldome to I see low shot or shot that got parried by keepers but rather most of them are going over the bar,this is a bit abnormal to me

Seems all shots from distance and their liklihood of going in has gone up.

I had in my first season 2 situations where the freekick taker was so far from goal that no wall was set up and players only lined up for a cross in to the box with the goalie waiting in goal. At this point the freekick taker decided to have a go. In both situations the set piece taker was close to the half way line.

Result was a direct freekick that went straight in by the near post of goal without goalkeeper being able to get there in time to make the save.

Liklihood of this is slim to non of ever happening and it has happend twice in one season for me.

Thankfully it has gone both ways as Fabregas scored one against me and Balotelli scored one for me. (separate games though :))

I think it's either people's perceptions of just that the people complaining don't seem to think they have to change their tactics when the opposition is chasing the game.

Does anyone really think when Liverpool were crushing Real Madrid at half time Rafa went inside and said, "Same again, lads. Change nothing."

No, he told them to keep possession, control the pace, if you see an opportunity go for it.

In other words, slow pace, counter-attacking ticked, possibly a playmaker in Gerrard or Alonso (I was playing FM whilst watching so I didn't see the game in detail).

If you are conceding goals late on to allow your opposition to come back to draw or win the game, it is most definitely tactical. Long-shots or not.

Actually that match last night was a great ripost to those gamers moaning about FM's tactical settings - the 'we want one tactic to rule them all' brigade.

Liverpool played completely differently to their usual game, leaving Ramos completely befuddled. Knowing Real like to play it slow, Benitez went fast tempo, high closing down all over pitch (Torres outstanding in this dept), never allowing Real meaningful possession. When you expected them to relax in the second half, he DID instruct them, "Same again, lads. Change nothing."!

Actually that match last night was a great ripost to those gamers moaning about FM's tactical settings - the 'we want one tactic to rule them all' brigade.

agreed. and good presentation of how closing down works also.

back to the subject, imo there are way too many long shot attempts in the first place, i can't say i noticed they're all lying in though.

it's mentality related issue, higher the mentality, more long shot attempts. it is painful to watch players attemting one-touch 30 yarders with 2 defenders on his back, or 4 defenders just in front of player, or controling the ball in and around the box like it's the easiest thing to do and then shooting unmarked. i think such things should be toned down and reserved for special players on rare occasions.

• SI Staff
Agree, but the long shots and goals from them are still high in 9.0.3 :)

Are you sure?

9.2 - No of long shots ( 20 yards + ) per game, around 9, no of goals from long shots, around 0.4

9.3 - No of long shots per game, around 12.5, no of goals from long shots around 0.4 again

2 key changes in 9.3 can explain this :

1) More shots counted in 9.3 ( average 23 vs 19 ), now that we add all blocked shots to the total - some of which may well be long range

2) Better defending in 9.3, resulting in less options around edge of area.

These stats taken from a season soak test in 9.3 running a selection of divisions from England, Italy and Spain - all in full detail.

Are you sure?

9.2 - No of long shots ( 20 yards + ) per game, around 9, no of goals from long shots, around 0.4

9.3 - No of long shots per game, around 12.5, no of goals from long shots around 0.4 again

2 key changes in 9.3 can explain this :

1) More shots counted in 9.3 ( average 23 vs 19 ), now that we add all blocked shots to the total - some of which may well be long range

2) Better defending in 9.3, resulting in less options around edge of area.

These stats taken from a season soak test in 9.3 running a selection of divisions from England, Italy and Spain - all in full detail.

There are 3 big lies: a lie, a big lie, and statistic :)

That was my personal observation (without measuring, counting and deep analysis) that lot of chances created (by my team or by opposition) are converted into long shots and some spectacular goals (even from players with no good long shot ability). But I can say the ME isn't so bad at all :) Think that closing down around penalty box should be better. It's not logical to rise the closing down bar for my CM players because it's deep in my half, not the other way around.

IMHO the tremendous number of long shots & goals into 9.3 and the relative super odd and comic results ( 8-3, 5-6, 6-7 etc. ) given by the abovementioned issue led me to revert back to the gorgeous 9.2 with whom I am having lot of fun, even if it is more difficult.

IMO 9.2 renders the game the most beautiful of the whole series, if it was 9.3 based I would have never bought the game, that's for sure.

Before 9.3 I never saw goals from long shots, I rarely even saw my players attempt long shots. Now I see about half a dozen a season (from one of my midfielders who has 18 for long shots) and not any/many conceeded. So I think it's more realistic in that I'm seeing them, but for some reason (either my tactics or those of the opposition) I'm not conceeding any.

theres far too many long shots in 9.3.0

and most of them are coming from defends with only 5 at long shots it happens far to often

9.3.0 is not for me iv gone back to 9,2.0 useing 9.3.0 data folder for an update just changeing 1 line in the xml file :

<string id="required_version" value="9.2.0" translate="false"/>

Personally I do feel the AI when chasing a goal against me decides that it can't break me down by playing through me or down the wings, so I'll score from 30 yards. Conceded 8 goals this season (15 games) and 5 of them from 25 yards. Kind of annoying but I'll live. I must admit I do not use OIs much so I think I'll try to use them whilst trying to defend a lead and see if it makes much of an improvement.

Jack.

I notice a bit more goals from outside the penalty area. But not too many. Actually I think now (patch 9.3) is better.

What has gone totally south are the goals from corners (from 9.2 to 9.3). A lot more than with 9.2.

Thanks Paul

This is a very good answer.

Guess most people would argue or how reliable is the statistic but if it applies to every game in FM09 I wouldn't say it's ruining the game.

Its quite weird how everyone seems to have different feedbacks, its almost 50/50 split between TOO MANY or NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE FROM 9.2

Its quite weird how everyone seems to have different feedbacks, its almost 50/50 split between TOO MANY or NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE FROM 9.2

I think the reason depends on the settings. Under certain circumstances the 9.3 exploit a corrupted DNA leading into mad matches made of a dozen of goals in a single match and 80% of them done by far over 20-30 yards.

When these circumstances are not in place ( 50% of the times as you approx noted ) the 9.3 seems to behave as a patch should with real match outputs and educated players who play football.

Something must be wrong anyway IMO if only roughly 50% can have benefits from it.

Archived