Trouble Signing DP in MLS

So I am in my first season with the New York Red Bulls and trying to extend Juan Pablo Angel's Designated Player contract but the game won't let me offer him another DP contract. Instead the best squad status I can offer him is Key Player while Designated Player doesn't show up as a option when offering a new contract.

Anyone else have trouble signing or resigning a DP for MLS teams? Found any solutions?

nah mate i only played 2 seasons in the mls as galaxy found the rules and restrictions head recking and resigned so never had to try offer david beckham a new contract

and i doubt many people have tried managing other mls teams its not very exciting

I believe the board decide whether or not you can offer a specific player a DP contract or not. Not sure why they wouldn't for JPA, though. The AI almost always resigns him to a DP contract in my games.

yeah I'm starting to think it may have to do with the board, oh well. I would try setting my ass man to handle contracts but I'm afraid he might sign other players to dumb deals.

Does anyone know if the AI will sign new DP's after a few seasons?

So I am in my first season with the New York Red Bulls and trying to extend Juan Pablo Angel's Designated Player contract but the game won't let me offer him another DP contract. Instead the best squad status I can offer him is Key Player while Designated Player doesn't show up as a option when offering a new contract.

The Designated Player contract is a "Contract Type," and not a "Squad Status." When you go to offer him a new contract you probably see "Senior." Click on "Senior" and if your board will let you offer him a DP contract you will see an option in the drop down list for "Designated."

Squad status is independent of contract type. You can offer some one a designated player contract and a squad status of youngster, backup, whatever.

If you change from Senior contract to Designated Player contract the sentence "The New York Red Bulls board will allow you to offer a salary of up to $xxx..." will change; the value of the contract will go up to what they will let you offer. In other words, if you find a potential DP you want to sign but it says your board will only let you offer $375,000 or whatever, try changing the Contract Type first before giving up on the player.

I hope this helps.

I don't see why the board wouldn't let you re-sign JPA, so try MarkyMark's suggestion and see if you can change the contract type. I know that it's the board that chooses whom you can sign as a DP, as when you enter the contract screen it'll tell you how much the board is willing to pay a player. So far, I've only come across older Brazilian players (with numerous caps) and a Spaniard, I believe, where the board would even let me offer a DP contract.

Archived