The best way to make a player happy again

I can't find any out and out thread for this subject and it's a pretty big one.

When a player becomes unhappy because they're ambitions whats the best way to persuade them to stay

I'm Luton in season 2, top of league 2 and bang, my captain Keith Keane's ambitious and wants out.

I tell him "we're ambitious too, we'll match you", he stands firm.

How can we make him happy again.

1. Offer them a load of money (at Luton unfortunatley not an option!)....

Continue

What do you have his squad status set to? I assume that you have it set as Key Player if he's your captain. If not, do that. Other options are to praise him after matches if he has performed well. Don't you have enough money to even offer him a slightly improved contract?

This is what I did when I had four players unhappy with the same problem as yours - wanting to move to a bigger club and fulfill their ambitions.

You transfer-list him, and offer him out for like 10 or 15 million, making sure no club would consider this offer.

Then you wait. The general happiness would state, "expecting to leave the club in the near future."

But after a while, miraculously, it disappears, and he is sort of happy again.

I hope it works for you. :)

This is what I did when I had four players unhappy with the same problem as yours - wanting to move to a bigger club and fulfill their ambitions.

You transfer-list him, and offer him out for like 10 or 15 million, making sure no club would consider this offer.

Then you wait. The general happiness would state, "expecting to leave the club in the near future."

I did this but it came up as being unhappy due to being valued too high by the club or something along them lines but i think it will be a quicker way of making them happyer than just waiting for them to give up.

Any other ideas?

There must be a better way

There are a few options available to you, although sometimes its just a total lost cause, first of all try offering him a new contract, most of the time they dont want to discuss a new deal in that situation but ive had it before, and their happiness has went up and theyre "please to have signed a new contract".

Another option, is to look in the options bar for the player, sometimes there is a "resolve issue" option, clicking that will give you a few options on how to convince the player to stay with you "Want the club to progress to match his ambitions" etc, That can go either way.

Finally kind of an underhanded tactic, but worked perfectly for me with David Wheater after his feet became frustratingly itchy. Most of the time the player will asked to be put on the transfer list, fine do that, but also interact with him, telling him you will give him a prolonged rest from matches, then straight into the reserves, or you can overtrain him so he picks up an injury, what this does is stop him from playing any first team football, you could even keep him in the first team so he doesnt play football at all. Give it half a season if you can do without him, and hope no teams make any bids and rest assured he will come back cap in hand, wanting to be taken off the transfer list. Once happy try and tie him down for as long as possible

tbh easiest thing to do is just to sell him. You run the risk of making the whole squad unhappy. I had a recent case where one of my midfielders wanted to move on "for a new challenge" and a few players in my squad started disliking him and it was difficult keeping morale up. So just sell him and use the money on someone else. I know it's not easy but it's the best thing to do :thup:

Yup, I agree with WhaleOilBeefHooked.

If a player clearly wants to go, best thing to do is just get the best price you can. It sucks that it's your captain, but it's something to learn from. I never give overly ambitious players the captaincy. As well as the obvious Influence, Determination, Teamwork, Work Rate attributes, I look at their character for traits such as Leader, Professional, Loyal.

So, sell him, draw a line under the situation and move on. It's something you'll always have to be prepared to accept as a lower league club.

Yup, I agree with WhaleOilBeefHooked.

If a player clearly wants to go, best thing to do is just get the best price you can. It sucks that it's your captain, but it's something to learn from. I never give overly ambitious players the captaincy. As well as the obvious Influence, Determination, Teamwork, Work Rate attributes, I look at their character for traits such as Leader, Professional, Loyal.

So, sell him, draw a line under the situation and move on. It's something you'll always have to be prepared to accept as a lower league club.

If I may add I always choose someone who loves the club too if possible. Usually he'll do a "Gerrard" and choose to stay at the club he loves.

I did this but it came up as being unhappy due to being valued too high by the club or something along them lines but i think it will be a quicker way of making them happyer than just waiting for them to give up.

I usually put their asking price about a 2.5-3X their actual value. It isn't exorbitant, so they don't get outraged by over-valuation, and interested clubs are usually unwilling to to offer 3X the value of a player. Then the interested club list gradually diminishes, until the player is no longer Wnt by any club. Then, if you praise him a little bit higher than the usual, he'll mostly always settle and sign a new contract.

That is, unless the player is wanting to move to a bigger club, or wanting a new challenge, and you're miles away from a continental cup place.

Cheers,

Fowler

Good, but you must be aware about the drawback, I mean if it happens to receive a very good offer your ****ing chairman may accept it and you'll loose the player.

Worst, you can't spend those money cause no players at all with such a value will accept to join a team of low reputation like the one may only dream about a 10 milion sell :)

You are forced to buy a bunch of mediocre ones instead of a golden deal only

Archived