From hero to zero in under six months

After several season of dominance in Serie A, culminating in winning the Champions League, I decided to resign and take up the post of Brazilian national team manager.

Four weeks into my new career, I thought I’d like to get back into club management (as well as keeping hold of the Brazil job) and declared an interest four different clubs. Taking into account my reputation was world class (built up over 5 seasons) these were the responses I got:

1. Inter: sacked their current boss and offered me the post.

2. PSV: sacked their current boss and offered me the post.

3. Monaco, basically laughed at my declaration, impling that there were better alternatives

4. Red Star Belgrade: as above

So, my first question is why, with a world class reputation, I am deemed good enough for Inter and PSV but not for a mid table Ligue 1 side and a Red Star team that struggled to qualify for the Uefa Cup?

I declined Inter and PSV and continued with international management. By November, and only two international friendlies played, I noticed my reputation had dropped down to continental. I decided to show an interest in two manager posts both listed as precarious.

The teams: Spurs, 18th and Sevilla 10th, in their respective leagues both gave me the cold shoulder; making me wonder why was I not longer hot property, despite winning the last Champions League and managing a national team ranking 6th in the world?

Any thoughts?

Very interesting.

I suppose being out of the limelight might have something to do with it. When you won the Champions League, your name will have been in all the papers (theoretically) so you will have had a higher reputation. You also will have been consistently involved with the media.

When moving to become manager of Brazil, you will have been involved less in the European media and may have fallen out of their minds, thus resulting in a loss of reputation.

I don't know if FM goes into this kind of detail, but it could be one explanation. Look at Dunga - hardly ever in the European papers as far as I can tell. He certainly gets nowhere near the attention that Ferguson, Benitez, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ranieri, Ramos etc get. So it might be reasonable to assume that Dunga's reputation is not as 'world-wide' as the managers I've just listed.

Just my two cents on the issue :)

Very interesting.

I suppose being out of the limelight might have something to do with it. When you won the Champions League, your name will have been in all the papers (theoretically) so you will have had a higher reputation. You also will have been consistently involved with the media.

When moving to become manager of Brazil, you will have been involved less in the European media and may have fallen out of their minds, thus resulting in a loss of reputation.

I don't know if FM goes into this kind of detail, but it could be one explanation. Look at Dunga - hardly ever in the European papers as far as I can tell. He certainly gets nowhere near the attention that Ferguson, Benitez, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ranieri, Ramos etc get. So it might be reasonable to assume that Dunga's reputation is not as 'world-wide' as the managers I've just listed.

Just my two cents on the issue :)

I understand what you're saying but most of us Europeans still know who Dunga is even though he's very rarely mentioned in the papers :)

True, but I wouldn't say he was held in the same managerial regard as the managers I mentioned.

It may be down to the fact that you have a huge reputation within Italy and Holland? (You've said you dominated in Italy with a club. Have you had any success in Holland at all which might of gave you a good rep in that country?)

It may be down to the fact that you have a huge reputation within Italy and Holland? (You've said you dominated in Italy with a club. Have you had any success in Holland at all which might of gave you a good rep in that country?)

I didn't create the thread, bud.

I was just giving my opinion on why the OP's reputation may have dropped :thup:

• Administrators

It may have something to do with the fact you've already declared interest in two much larger clubs and essentially you are perceived as using the two other clubs as pawns in your plan to get a new job. For them they could find a decent coach, without massive wage demands who really does want the job.

I think it's a bug with the text for why those clubs are rejecting you but I would think they are rejecting you because your profile is too high - and so wage demands would not be viable as nbrocky suggests.

That said, it is a GAME, should this realistic behaviour block the fact that some players want to do LLM after a big job? It's a tricky one!

It may have something to do with the fact you've already declared interest in two much larger clubs and essentially you are perceived as using the two other clubs as pawns in your plan to get a new job. For them they could find a decent coach, without massive wage demands who really does want the job.

Glad you raised that point.

In the past when i've gone on mad declaring interest sprees I have noticed something, my chances of getting the job reduce as I declare an interest in more clubs. To the point where I was considered as an ideal candidate for a big championship club but not even considered at all for smaller clubs as I went further into my spree.

Maybe there is something in that?

Glad you raised that point.

In the past when i've gone on mad declaring interest sprees I have noticed something, my chances of getting the job reduce as I declare an interest in more clubs. To the point where I was considered as an ideal candidate for a big championship club but not even considered at all for smaller clubs as I went further into my spree.

Maybe there is something in that?

Yeah, I'd go for that. I've be trying to unsettle under threat managers in an attempt to get myself a new club - it makes sense as nbrocky put it: I am seen as using the two other clubs as pawns in your plan to get a new job.

Archived